Excess Carbon in tailpipe | FerrariChat

Excess Carbon in tailpipe

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ANTONYSOTO, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ANTONYSOTO

ANTONYSOTO Rookie

Apr 4, 2014
    I have just purchased a 2010 California and noticed a lot of carbon (presume the black deposits are carbon) build up in the tail pipes.
    Is this common or an indication of the engine running rich/ something else. My first trip was a 1,000 mile drive and even the rear bumper showed some black residue after the trip.

All help appreciated and apologies if this is a silly question

Thanks

2. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Not silly at all. I even took mine in to the shop and asked about it. I noticed black drips on the floor beneath my car along the centerline midway back and was concerned I had an oil leak or crack somewhere. I searched this board, asked some folks, and even took it to the shop to ask about it. It seems to be normal for F-Cars. I get residue at the tips of the exhaust (not excessive, but it builds up between washes). I also get a light soot build-up on the rear seats from the carbon shot out of the exhaust (I drive with the top down 95% of the time). All part of the fun of owning the car...once I knew what it was, it stopped bothering me.

3. ANTONYSOTO

ANTONYSOTO Rookie

Apr 4, 2014
    Many thanks. I was slightly concerned as I have not seen it on my other cars ( non ferrari). I guess it was more noticeable as my first journey was so long. Regards