Signs of early California DCT problems | FerrariChat

Signs of early California DCT problems

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by seateddime, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. seateddime

seateddime Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Does anyone know what might the early signs of a DCT problem on a 7,000 car?

2. seateddime

seateddime Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Jason
  3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm curious what answer you may eventually get as my next fcar could well be an early Cali. According to my dealer, they've seen none. They had some early 458 DCT's come back, but none from the Cali's. That's the dealer talking, and only one dealer. I've heard there were early wiring issues. Get one of those, I would think it would stop dead in it's tracks, period. And at the time it was a remove and replace, black box. I've heard that some dealers are starting to get equipment to do some basic work on them now though. This is all, all second hand. But this is my understanding. But I've never heard tell of any sort of issue related to mileage. I saw one early 458 with a dead DCT at 300 miles.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This topic has been hashed over a few times already so people are probably reluctant to relive the "thrill". HINT: try doing a search using a few choice keywords. Both the 458 and California shared the same DCT and can experience similar symptoms.

Finally, I did check with my dealer FoO in Toronto, which services a good sized Ferrari territory. I was informed their mechanics have been trained and have been rebuilding and servicing DCTs. Apparently, they have only come across 2 DCT failures and that was during the initial period after the California launch.

FoO also support a successful 458 racing team on the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series where DCT servicing is simply part of the routine.