Premium sound | FerrariChat

Premium sound

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Cirrus, Apr 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cirrus

Cirrus Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    What is the difference between the regular sound and the premium sound system on the California?

2. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    The premium costs a lot more. ;)

Xeron started a thread on Sept 16, 2010 where he opened up & took pictures of the amp & speakers and didn't see much difference. Sorry but I don't know how to cut-paste links on my iPad. You can do an advanced search in just the Cali forum using "premium" and it will appear.

3. Cirrus

Cirrus Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    Thanks for the assist!

4. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    You're welcome.

5. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Wow,

Cant believe that was almost 4 years ago. I've traded in my Spyder and will be placing an order for a Cali T. I hope the stereo has improved

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Did they say when yet?

7. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    You & the other guys posting at the time were very influential in my decision not to bother ordering the premium stereo. As it turned out, I didn't listen to music in my car very much anyway, so you helped me save some $$.

8. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    No word on allocation yet. I did however receive a very lengthy brochure I can e-mail you if you like. It's quite detailed.

9. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    For the new Cali T....

TELEMATIC EQUIPMENT
    The audio system - developed by JBL Professional® with a total of 12 loudspeakers – offers an audio experience comparable to a live concert.
    Three 80 millimetres Midrange loudspeakers in
    Black Kevlar are positioned on the upper part of the dashboard.
    Two 200 millimetres loudspeakers in carbon fibre are fitted into the door panels, together with two 100 millimetres Midrange loudspeakers in Black Kevlar in the panels in the back. These loudspeakers guarantee exceptional and full performance also at the lowest frequencies.
    Another five Tweeters in ceramic have been positioned on the dashboard, the doors and the panels in the back, guaranteeing crystal clear sound in the entire cockpit.
    The result has to be enjoyed live.
    The potent 16-channel 1280-Watt amplifier is available in class D and QuantumLogic® Surround Sound technology developed by JBL Professional®. Thanks
    to the twelve perfectly positioned loudspeakers
    with crystal clear treble and potent bass as well as a midrange with a minimum of distortion the amplifier guarantees an incomparable listening experience for the passengers.
    The system’s equalization, pre-set on two calibrations, guarantees exceptional sound in the car with opened as well as closed top.
    Hi-Fi premium system (Modis Code SNDB)

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's a convertible.

For good quality sound you need the music to bounce off some hard surfaces as well as receive it directly. So if you drive with the roof down, it's never going to give ideal sound. You can get decent bass if the system has capacity for a subwoofer but midrange and highend will be compromised.

Actually, I was listening to some movie soundtracks the other day and with the HELE system (no engine idle) while stopped it all sounded quite good and sounded still OK when I got going. With the roof down, any music will just be background. You're going to hear the car more and that's the way it should be so IMO the regular sound system in the Cali T is probably fine.

11. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    That is much more impressive than the current Cali 30 Hi Fi System. 3 more speakers and 3x the power. As 4th_Gear stated, the engines acoustics take over with the top down...and it sounds sweet.

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My 2102 FF has the upgrade system and has the ability to remember Favorite songs and artists which I use all the time. My 2012 Cali has the standard system, and no favorites. Does the current standard system remember favorites? At 67 with over 32 years of being around running jet aircraft engines my ears leave a little to be desired so the Favorite thing actually is now important enough for me that any new Ferrari will have the upgrade.

Rick

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #14 4th_gear, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rick, I haven't populated my HDD with that many albums yet so I can still wade through them fairly readily but the basic infotainment system in the Cali30 does have a FAVOURITES feature. I can add favourite tracks by ARTIST, GENRE, ALBUM or FOLDERS. I don't think it offers remembering selection by individual SONGS.

To access the favourites feature I would press the lower right corner button while in HDD play mode. The system will then display the HDD Browse menu (see below). If I press the Favorites button that will bring up my selection of favourites and play them. That display will then offer LIST, EDIT and ADD functions. I imagine the Cali T's system will be a good jump from the basic system in my Cali 30, especially with CarPlay. The sound with the roof up in my car is quite acceptable IMO.

Actually, playing with my car's Infotainment system makes me want to drop the roof and go for another drive. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    My Porsche had it where I was allowed to save 50 favorite songs in the radio mode and whenever one of my favorites was playing on any radio channel I would get a notification if I wanted to go to that station, could switch between song title or artist. Is this what you are talking about?
    I really miss that feature, it was totally cool to me. My Cali doesn't have that ability. If I'm able to get a Cali T I would to have that again.

15. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yes, my FF not only remembers favorites on the HDD but also radio favorites, up to 50 artists plus 50 individual songs. So, looks like I don't need the upgrade on the next car?

The favorites took some time to populate. 4th, with the Sirius on with any song playing you will see the Favorite button in the upper center, hit it to add. An asterisk (I think, have to look:)) will appear on the bottom of the display if any favorite is playing right now. It will dim the display when something on the list is about to play and tell you what it is allowing you to hit a button to immediately switch to that channel. If you wait you need to hit Search then Favorites then a list of what all favorites is currently on displays so you can select one.

Trouble is though if I upgrade to a newer FF or another F car is it possible to copy those to the new car?? Or I have to start over.

Rick

16. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I would imagine you'd have to start over... :(

17. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Probably.

What I did before I sold my car is I took pictures of my radio display with all the songs listed in my favorites list... really not helpful except to the extent that I may not remember what my favorites were... duh