Ferrari Factory Tour | FerrariChat

Ferrari Factory Tour

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Ron4pro, Apr 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    The wife and I are headed to Italy at the beginning of May and I am leveraging my new Ferrari status to get a Ferrari factory tour. My black on black Cali 14 is expected to be in my garage next Friday the 18th (I will post pictures). Scottsdale Ferrari set up the tour and I am super excited.

I will be coming up from Rome to Modena via train and catching a cab to Maranello.

I wanted to ping the forum to get any tips from anyone that has taken the factory tour. I am hoping I can catch a glimpse of the Cali T. Please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance

2. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Thank you so much Need4spd...everything I could ever want to know. We will definitely leave some extra time to take in the restaurants and the town.

3. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I went a few years back, you walk down the production lines so who knows. A truly spectacular day for any car fan.
    My avatar is me by Pisa :D
    Last November I went from Firenze to Rome on the train. Maranello is a fair way further North of Firenze. Enjoy.

4. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Arthomobiles (another Fchatter) also has on his website a nice summary of the sights and where there are good spotting opportunities. The Ultimate Travel Guide to MARANELLO There's also been recent threads about tours in the general discussion forum.

We're heading back in July for our second visit. The Ristorante Cavallino was prompt in responding to my email reservation request. Montana didn't reply to my emails, so I had to call. The Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari in Modena wasn't open last time we went, so we're going to spend an extra half day in the area. Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari: MEF Modena Coincidentally, we'll also be staying a few days outside Brescia, so I'm planning a half-day trip to the Mille Miglia museum. Home I'm looking to my summer vacation. :)

Congrats on taking delivery of your car and enjoy your trip!

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You will definitely see the T. I was there last week and there were several on the production line.

6. Homerclese

Homerclese Rookie

Jun 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    If you're a foodie then while in Modena I would recommend trying to get a table at Osteria Francescana. Last year it was rated #5 in the world's top 100 restaurants. We ate there a few years ago when it was #7 or #8. It's tucked away in a suburban location in Modena and it's interesting finding your way there at night in a rental (as we did) but completely worth the effort.

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    That is the exact plan we did, and it worked out well. At the end of the day, the taxis seemed to be a little scarce leaving Maranello for Modena, so we went into a hotel and had them call us one.

8. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    That's a great tip. Since I didn't feel confident I could make it up in time for the morning tour, I am taking need4spd's advice and staying at hotel planet so hopefully that can do us a solid on the way back.

I am expecting my new Cali any day now and looking forward to seeing the Cali T when I am out there. Thanks all for sharing your experiences

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    We took a late afternoon train from Rome to Modena, spent the night, did the tour the next day and dinner, then took an early train back to Rome on day three. Train is about 4 hours if I remember.

We stayed in Modena at Canal Grande Hotel.

10. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I would suggest renting a car once in Modena. As has been pointed out, cabs are not all that prevalent and it would be nice to have some flexibility and tool around Maranello and Modena. Bologna is also a very cool city for a stopping point. It'll be easy to get a train there from Rome and a car. The drive to Maranello isn't bad (about 40 min). Bologna is a great city to visit because it isn't really tourist oriented and you'll get a good flavor of everyday Italian life. You'll love the factory. It is so cool being on hallowed ground there! Cavallino Restaurant across the street is not only great for the fantastic food/wine but it is a museum unto itself! Parma is another great stop to stroll around and perhaps pick up some terrific parmisiano reggiano and balsamic vinegar. I could drizzle the viscous stuff on that cheese and sustain on that with nothing else to eat for the rest of my life! A trip to Italy without a pilgrimage to Maranello would be incomplete! Enjoy!

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Or better yet, rent a car in Milan, and arrange to drop it off in Firenze, Roma or other large city where that can be accommodated. It's about as fast as a train, you will be able to take whatever side tours you want, and driving in Italy really isn't difficult at all (once you get used to the concept that the lane markers are merely suggestions or guides, and Italian drivers are much more used to getting their cars really close to yours).

12. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    We stayed at the planet; it's the perfect location, across from the factory and easy to walk all around the area. Ask for room 502; huge balcony....

13. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    We stayed at Maranello Village. Maranello is quite a pretty place in itself.
    Maranello Village

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My wife and I were in Italy in 2010 and will be going back there again in a couple of weeks.

We are leaving this Saturday May 3rd, going to Munich for 3 days, then back to Italy and stay there for 10 days. We will be going back to the Ferrari Museum again for sure.

We visited Rome, Florence, Bologna, Parma, Sienna, etc. Rented a car and drove the back roads and had a really fun time.

Here is a short video for sharing when we visited the Lamborghini Museum and Ferrari Museum.

Italy Vacation 2010 part 2 Hd a on Vimeo

Dan

15. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    #16 xku807, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Awesome view...we are flying out tomorrow and will be in Maranello on Sunday night. Thank you all for the great advice and tips.

17. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Great view. Do you remember what time construction began? Was traffic in town disrupted?

18. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    #19 xku807, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    No traffic disruption at all by the construction of this new Gestione Sportiva headquarters. Work on the site begins at 7am. The site sits between Planet Hotel and Fiorano with an access road between Planet and Ristorante Cavallino. That shot of the 458 GT3 (Not sure if it's a GT3, could be a GTE Pro car or something else) was over the construction site using a 400mm lens.

19. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    #20 Wolfgang5150, Apr 30, 2014
  20. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    #21 Wolfgang5150, Apr 30, 2014
  21. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    #22 Wolfgang5150, Apr 30, 2014
  22. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    #23 Wolfgang5150, Apr 30, 2014
  23. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    In your first pic that small building with the black cavalino is where Montezemolo holds office I understand.

24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My wife and I will be there on May 11th, my birthday.

Have fun!

Dan