Dual Mode Magneride - Cali T | FerrariChat

Dual Mode Magneride - Cali T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by keithos27, May 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Does anyone here have any specific knowledge in terms of how the Cali T should drive/feel if equipped with the Dual Mode Magneride? I'm wondering if this option will make the car feel sportier ONLY if enabled or if a Cali T equipped with this option will always have a harder/sportier suspension vs a Cali T that does not have it?

From the Personalization Programe PDF I got the following:

This option includes elements which help customers to increase sporty feeling.
    The package includes:
    • New dampers with lubricated guide rod
    • Further stiffened spring suspensions
    • Additional accelerometers
    • New suspension central unit (50% faster response)
    • New control software

On the steering wheel a button has been fitted to uncouple the suspensions settings, to enable the driver to set the desired level of comfort under any driving condition and with any position of the Manettino.

Would you imagine this is a "must have" option on the upcoming Cali T or is this really only for customers that want to track their car?

Thanks,
    Keith

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    IMHO it's a "must have." The Magneride suspension in my view is one of the best advancements in suspension technology in a long time. It gives you the flexibility to have comfort and good handling at the same time, even in "comfort" mode. It's not just a binary "soft" and "hard". It constantly receives sensor inputs and reacts in milliseconds. As such, it "feels" the bumps in roads and allows the suspension to soak them up, yet without compromising grip and without excessive body roll. The separate suspension button on the steering wheel is another advancement, in that it allows you to set the suspension separately from the comfort/sport thresholds, so that you can have the "sport" setting on the Manettino, but with the suspension set on "comfort" for bumpy back roads (or city streets!). Yes, it's an expensive option, but on a $200k+ car, I wouldn't pass it up.

3. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thanks Need4Spd!

4. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    I suspect that the new suspension central unit is leveraged from the Cali 30 Handling Speciale package. I have a Cali 30 HS and I can tell you that the magneride is awesome. The behavior in sport and comfort is super responsive and brings out 2 different personalities in the car. Dont leave the Magneride option unchecked...I agree totally with Need4spd

5. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sigh... great, the price keeps increasing!!! :)

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Magneride is a "must-have". It provides the car with different personalities. Not something to save money on.

7. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    DONT AGREE UTS A MUST. ITS JUST A FASTER WAY OIF GETTING TO THE SAME THING. I DO NOT HAVE IT ON MY CURRENT CAR AND ITS NO BIG DEAL

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    A bare bones, no options at all Cali is FAR better than any Porsche or Prius, however if you are going to actually spend any time driving it, not just worshiping it as it sits in your garage and never sees the light of day, AND if you can afford it there are a few must haves to make driving the Cali more fun and a better all around experience. The top of that must have list is magneride. Yes there are guys here that don't have it and will tell you the Cali is great without it and they are correct, it is simply FAR better with magneride. Try a 300 mile drive like I'm going to do this Saturday and the magneride Comfort mode will explain it all. Then try an autocross in Sport :D ... miles of smiles :).

There are plenty of other options that are great for one reason or another but magneride is mandatory for any Ferrari actually driven.

Rick

9. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thanks Rick. Yup looking at getting a Cali T but trying to keep cost within reason. Seems to me the must-haves are magneride, the upgraded stereo (I am a music buff), and shields. I want to DD this car for hopefully 10 years.

10. 03LX470

03LX470 Rookie

Feb 24, 2012
    Coming from a bunch of Porsches I had found my pre-owned California very soft. I had promised myself that if I ever order a new California I would get the Magneride (after having read all the comments here). However, when I ordered the California T and was informed about the suspension button on the steering being standard, it seemed like I was half way where I wanted to be without having to pay anything for it. My dealership also encouraged me not to order the Magenride (go figure). Now I am having regrets after reading this thread for not ordering the Magneride. The other problem is ordering/configuring a Ferrari is very frustrating and confusing. They don't promote / write up their option qualities in qualitative and quantitative terms like Porsche and hence there's no way to decide on extras with confidence.

11. chbit63

chbit63 Karting

Feb 11, 2013
    The suspension button is not a standard. It is the button for only the magneride option.

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Dealer gave bad advice. See if you can change the spec. Button isn't there on non-MagneRide cars.

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    You have it spot on. Those three would be my top options, next would be white tachometer. Yes I said WHITE ... I am on my second Cali and both had yellow. The FF I bought happened to be preconfigured to be a dealer demo which I snapped up before getting demo miles and it came with a white tach and anything I buy in the future will be white. It is far easier to read than yellow.

Good luck. When you get your Cali be sure to take a camera on the day you pick her up. Have your salesman shoot photos of your miles wide smile the first time you fire her up.

Rick

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Ordering is very confusing. There have been 'hidden' options that you must know are available to be able to order them. My 2010 Cali didn't have stitched cavalinos because there was no option, but they were available then so I had to buy a 2012 to get them stitched :D. Reading a bazillion F-Chat posts certainly helps know what s available. The salesman that I deal with now also really knows! I'm lucky there.

Rick

15. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Nice. What other options do you rank highly? I see the Cali T doesn't even come with electric seats as standard!!!

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Electric seats are standard, but if you want them to have memory settings and be heated, that's an optional extra. For a convertible GT, these should be standard. But they're not.

17. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Wow $5,000+ just to get heated and memory function... that's crazy.

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's like the older car's seat option.

I didn't go for it because I found it uncomfortable in the car I tested with those seats. The part I wanted was the heated seats but I've gone through Fall and Spring without them and it's OK even at around 8°C. The option will also add weight to the car.

Since most Fcars are driven by their owners and no one else (except the garage) and also seldom taken on long cruising drives, I think seat memory is not that important.

19. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Very true... I am looking to have the Cali T be a DD so I am only concerned about the heating option... Living in Atlanta it's not a deal breaker by any means. Just kind of ridiculous these things aren't standard, but that's an entirely different topic, hehe.

20. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I'm a bit different than most I guess, I like the memory seats because I let lots of people sit in or drive my Cali and it is handy to set back to my position. And since I also drive it in the winter here in NW Ohio the heated seats come in handy, although they are very slow at heating up. I can see that most would not need either.

Rick

21. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Yeah I'm planning on being the only one to drive the car... I've never had a convertible before, but I like the idea of top down driving either at night or on cooler days with the heat on and seat heaters on. We'll see if they make the cut. :)

22. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    cool car..wonder if we see the new 8 speed DCT in cali T ?

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Well, there are always service visits when they almost always move the seats.

24. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
  25. 03LX470

03LX470 Rookie

Feb 24, 2012
    Thank you Keith for starting this thread

Thank you Need4Spd and chbit63

After reading on here I wrote to the dealer and they called to inform me that the button will not be there on my car (even though they informed me at time of ordering that it was standard). Seems like they did not have the right information from the factory at time of ordering but I would have expected them to come back to me promptly once they found out it wont be there. If I had not read it on here perhaps I would've only found out at the time of my car delivery!

While they tried to convince me it was not important unless I will be tracking (I wont) and I was also tempted to not cancel my order as I was looking forward to receiving my car soon by July-end, I walked away in the end and will wait for the initial cars to arrive next month and perhaps even test drive before making any further decisions.

From what I read on here even CarPlay might not be there on initial cars. While my dealer had confirmed it will be there I have now learned to not trust their word!