Extending warranty or not? | FerrariChat

Extending warranty or not?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Xin_UK, Jun 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xin_UK

Xin_UK Rookie

Apr 17, 2013
    Hi, :) My 4 years warranty is going to expire next month. Just got a call from H.R. Owen regarding the warranty extension on a yearly basis which costs around £2.5K/year. I am not sure if it is necessary to extend it. What's your view on this? Appreciate your comments.

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    If your car is 4 years old, and you are going to keep it, my vote is warrantee. from reading the chats, you could drop 2.5k in a nano second if something goes wrong. IMHO

3. Beefcake2001

Beefcake2001 Karting

Dec 5, 2013
    Get the warranty, my 2011 Cali as been in the garage now for 3 weeks.

If the car was out of warranty I dread to think what the labour costs alone would have been
    So far car has had a new throttle body 2 right hand side engine ECUs.

Would be £2600 well spent.I believe if no claim is made in the first year you get 15% discount of the next years warranty and another 15% for renewing so could be around £1820 going into year 2.

If I still have my car in June 2015 I will defiantly be purchasing the warranty.

4. Cipohealey

Cipohealey Rookie

Dec 16, 2011
    London
    Warranty all day long.

Although that's what I had intended to do until my dealer needed stock and made me a decent offer to buy my car back.

Going to wait for the T to arrive and test before I go again.

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Your dealer did you a favor by calling you!

I would get a two year warranty esp if there is a discount on getting the second year upfront.

The warranty will be a selling point later on since I believe it is transferable.

6. Xin_UK

Xin_UK Rookie

Apr 17, 2013
    Many thanks guys! take your advices and will definitely get the warranty. :)

7. patatty

patatty Rookie

May 22, 2012
    How much are folks paying for the extended warranty? My '13 Cali has had several "minor" problems so I want to protect myself going forward. I also plan on keeping the car well beyond the initial three-year warranty period.

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    OP answered this already for the UK but it will depend on which market you are but you have not provided this information.....

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMO, extended warranty is a personal preference issue. However, if I keep my car beyond its factory warranty period I would definitely buy extended warranty.

10. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    anyone know what the cost range is for US? does it depend on year, mileage, etc?

11. Xin_UK

Xin_UK Rookie

Apr 17, 2013
    Just spoke to the dealer OWEN UK. two options after 4th year warranty: 1. A Warranty Extension for 12 months at a cost of £3720inc. The coverage offered is the same as the Manufacturer’s warranty. 2. A New Power Warranty for 12 months at a cost of £2760inc. See the coverage of this warranty below:

Roadside Recovery Service will be provided at the same conditions of the Manufacturer’s Warranty

Engine: Engine crankcase & and all internal components, cylinder head(s) and valvetrain, oil radiator (s), head gasket (s), oil sump and oil pump, variable valve timing adjusters, solenoid valves. (oil seals and oil leaks in general excluded)

Ignition/Injection: Oxygen Sensors, secondary air system (secondary air pump and valves only), ionising ECU

F1/Mechanical Gearbox: Gearbox casing and differential housing (s) including all internal components, F1 Power Unit: Electric pump, valves; actuator, ECU, selected and engaged gear sensor (oil seals and oil leaks in general are excluded)

DCT Gearbox: Gearbox including all internal components and ECU (oil seals and oil leaks in general excluded)

Power Transmission Unit: ECU, clutch (rubber gaiters excluded) PTU: including all internal components (oil seals and oil leaks in general excluded)

Suspension & Steering: complete steering box, suspension arm joints power steering pump (excluding drive belts), suspension arm joints, toe-in-tie-rod, ECU for controls on steering wheel (oil seals and oil leaks in general excluded)

Cooling System: Water pump, fans (leaks in general are excluded)

Air Conditioning/heating: AC system control devices, AC compressor and AC system ECU.

Electrical System: alternator, starter motor, ignition coil, Engine ECU, Gearbox ECU, crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, power window motors.

Fuel and Induction system: injectors, throttle bodies, air flow sensor, intake manifold, pressure regulator, temperature sensors, fuel pipes, fuel pumps

Brake System: hydraulic brake pump, brake pressure regulator and servo

Bodywork: RHT roof function (wear, bodywork and paint defects, seals and water infiltration in general are excluded)

Not really sure what is not covered. But more likely I would go for the cheaper option.

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    The roof is important to have covered

13. patatty

patatty Rookie

May 22, 2012
    I am in the US. Any idea on warranty cost?

14. alfa4711

alfa4711 Rookie

Jun 13, 2012
    Spain
    You got 4 years in the UK ? in Belgium it's only 3....

15. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Two year factory warranty extension for my 2011 was $9900.