Low wiper fluid - cracked reservoir | FerrariChat

Low wiper fluid - cracked reservoir

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by patatty, Jun 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patatty

patatty Rookie

May 22, 2012
    I got this message a while back and I knew something was wrong, since my '13 Cali is truly a fair weather car, having never been driven in rain (Ok, maybe once I got caught in light rain on the way home). Took it in and the diagnosis is a cracked windshield washer fluid reservoir. Anyone see this before?

2. DutchinFL

DutchinFL Karting

Mar 28, 2011
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Collin Ziemerink
    Yes, have seen this before:
    Apparently a common issue when I talked it over with the dealer.
    The fluid low light comes on, I refill it, don't use it, drive it, comes on. repeat
    Reason: while driving the crack in the reservoir/bottle leaks the fluid.

Had to order new bottle, they replaced it.
    Unfortunately it did not help. Gotta go back.

Collin

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is there a wet spot under your car when you drive out in the morning?

4. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    I had this happen on my new 14 Cali...I had the warning come on when I started after being garaged for a week and then it went off after a minute or so. I added washer fluid and it came on one other time after being garaged. There were no wet spots on the garage floor and I dont ever use the washer fluid.

It hasnt happend in over a few weeks now so I chalked it up to either a) Software on startup or b)the sensor that detects washer fluid was maybe dry from sitting for a week (I live in the desert). I am interested how your issue works out DuchinFL

5. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    When I took delivery of my '14 Cali, the dealer told me that this warning may appear, as it has been reported by a few other owners. He lead me to believe that it was an errant sensor, because the level is not low. It has happened to me twice in the past 3+ months. BTW, no leaks/wet spots.

6. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks Randy...that is good to know there is a known issue around that warning. When it happend to you, the error message go off on its own? Mine went off before the engine check completed and I got out of my driveway.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK, here is a schematic of the California's wiper/washer system, courtesy of Ricambi America's website, where you can find and purchase parts for your car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Since some of you are reporting loss of fluid from the washer system or a "cracked reservoir" I think it helps to see what the parts look like and how the system is put together.

If the washer actually works for a bit after you refill the reservoir (before it leaks out completely) then the leak is probably at the very bottom of the reservoir. The culprit is most likely part #15, the gasket which seals the connection of the wiper pump (#14) to the bottom of the reservoir.

Otherwise, it could also be a crack at the very bottom of the reservoir. It the crack is fairly big, there should be a puddle under the left side of the car. If the crack (leak) is located anywhere else, the reservoir will not lose all its fluid.

8. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    The warning screen minimized to a small square on the left screen, then after a few minutes of driving that small square warning went away.

9. BruceWinter

BruceWinter Karting

Dec 22, 2013
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Bruce E. Winter
    Similar issue and resolution before I took delivery with first annual inspection and 500 mile on my Cali 30 2013 when purchased.

10. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    This user got a new reservoir. But the error still pops up!

Maby it is an O-ring seal problem....

11. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    I have a 2013 Cal 30 and had the same issue within the first 6 months. I refilled it and it turned out to be a leak/crack in the washer reservoir -- it flowed straight through. The dealer replaced the reservoir under warranty and it has worked since without any error messages. The dealer suggested that it must have been a weak seam in the reservoir itself and not a faulty seal/gasket, at least in this instance.

12. Italian Stampede

Jul 10, 2014
    I had this problem with a few italian cars in the early 90's.. why cant they just use a higher quality plastic on these bottles? I have NEVER seen a domestic car with this problem!

Well, perhaps the engineers (or guys doing the outsourcing for purchase parts) expect the washer fluid to rarely be used!

On that note, I always dilute the fluid a bit with water. Most washer fluid is pretty harsh stuff, I dont want that running over on the trim or paint, etc!

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My washer warning comes on once in a great while, happened in my 2010 and now my 2012. No big deal, it goes away. HOWEVER, I actually use my washer fluid in both cars since I actually drive them every day, rain or shine or snow. Just had to say it :)

Rick

14. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    How many miles per year do you put on the cali ?

15. Jcm91ca

Jcm91ca Rookie

Jan 16, 2016
    I just had this issue on my 2011 Ferrari California. It's been 10 years and it just started gushing after I refilled and had the light come on. I must have hit a bump that cracked the reservoir.

What's the lowest cost most efficient fix now that we're out of warranty?

16. Jcm91ca

Jcm91ca Rookie

Jan 16, 2016
    I’m curious as well.

17. Jcm91ca

Jcm91ca Rookie

Jan 16, 2016
    Anyone figure out how long it takes to replace the windshield wiper reservoir? Instructions or pictures would be great.