Error message: stop driving | FerrariChat

Error message: stop driving

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by patatty, Jun 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patatty

patatty Rookie

May 22, 2012
    Several months ago, I got this fairly ominous error message--something to the effect that there was a system failure and stop driving the car now (2013 Cali). I turned off the engine and started it again, and the message went away. Anyone seen this one before? Is it a serious indicator of a real problem or should I just forget about it? Things like this make me really want to buy an extended warranty.

2. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like you have several smaller issues... I would take it in for a good once over. We just got back from our annual service, and there were a few minor issues that had to be addressed. We have a BMW that had to have the software reinstalled due to erroneous warnings and wiper/cruise control failures.

John

3. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    John, can you tell us something about the 'minor issues' of your Cali?

4. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Twice it just stopped running at a stop light for no apparent reason. It does not have HELE.

It was running a little rough according to the mechanic. I thought it was normal, but is smoother now.

When accelerating briskly and shifting higher in the rpm's, it really popped like a backfire. Again, being my first Ferrari, I thought it was normal, but that too is diminished.

Honestly, I am not certain what they did...

John

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Interesting, did the engine die immediately as you stopped for the light or did it sputter out after the car was stopped for a bit? Was it hot at the time? And was the A/C running at the time?

My Cali30 also backfires during aggressive upshifts in COMFORT/AUTO, SPORT/MANUAL and SPORT/AUTO modes. Backfires are less pronounced in COMFORT/MANUAL mode.

Curiously in CST-OFF/MANUAL mode the backfires are the most subdued but the whole car feels livelier, responses in throttle, steering and suspension are noticeably tighter, sharper.

The car will backfire when ignition cuts out momentarily and then comes back on while the injectors are still delivering fuel. I'm sure they program this into the ignition and fuel injection timing.

6. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Michael, the car died after sitting for a while. The AC was probably on, but it was not exceptionally hot. When it died, the alternator warning came on, but that is probably due to the engine dying, not the other way around... It promptly restarted.

It still backfires during aggressive up shifts, but it must be a bit more aggressive than before the service...

John

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks John. I was curious because when my HELE Cali30 experienced battery charging problems one symptom was that on a couple of occasions, the HELE system would not restart the car after shutting down the engine at a stop. It was hot on those occasions, AC was on. Eventually, the battery got so weak it could no longer start the car in the morning even with the battery tender connected every evening.

In your case, since the engine only died after idling for a bit, it does look like some sort of simple idle adjustment.