Advice on Cali 30 | FerrariChat

Advice on Cali 30

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Piper, Jun 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    After MUCH deliberation I've decided to pursue a Cali as my next car. Looking at many around the country. Can someone please clue me in how to tell precisely if a car is a Cali 30 or not? Definitively. I saw a thread recently where someone bought believing it was and found out after delivery it was not. Is there a precise build date? Does it coincide with the 7yr free maintenance plan?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Take a look at the official papers that come with the car.
    Try to find the information about the horsepower.

4. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Nov 12 UK Price list shows it as an option still

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Magneride was an option when I ordered my Canadian '13 Cali30 in Dec '12.

7. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Pretty sure it was salsas only an option... Handling Speciale Package

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    WHile many were built without the Handling package if you buy one with the handling package it would be a CALI 30.. . Again not all Cali 30 s had the handling package but all cars with the handling package were CALI30..

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A 599 surfaced this weekend in a rare color combo I love, and well depreciated w higher than average miles which I also appreciate so that just threw a barrel of water on the Cali fire for the moment. If this car checks out, going for it.

10. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Sounds like a great car as well but won't you miss the open air of the Cali?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    ... and the backseats.

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Both very true. There's a color combo that I love on pretty much any car, my colors, and it's rather rare. I watch for any ferrari in that combo. I might see a 599 a year. This one happens to be at the right price point. Gotta have it, as long as it doesn't turn out to need new rotors, a clutch, have stories. I will have a cali one day. I could see it side by side with my 599 maybe even this year. And if this 599 doesn't work out...

13. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    What is this rare color combination that you love? My curiosity is piqued!

John

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm sure it's safe to say but I can't bring myself to discuss in detail until I know I have a deposit on the car.

15. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh. I understand. We still need to know and see pics when you get the deal done! :D

John

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #16 Piper, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Beautiful! And what, sir, is that captivating color named?

John

18. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Is that an Aubergine exterior?

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's in fact a Maserati color special ordered for this car called bordeaux pontevecchio. I have the same on my 2013 Maser GranTurismo.

20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    looks very nice ..

21. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    #21 ConnyF, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    The 599 means definitely more prestige and emotion!
    And will lose less money.
    But usability is worse. (length, transmission, sound, no backseats, consumption, tax, insurance, no convertible, did I miss sumthin'?)
    Same considerations I have to do all the time. ;)

22. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This is a well depreciated 599. My tax burden will be lower than all but the cheapest California. It's my 4th F1. Just had the clutch measured on my 05 612 and I've only used 10% clutch in 4500 miles. I have zero concern over clutch wear on a superfast. Hope 1st engages quicker though. Agree with the rest. Probably end up with a Cali as well eventually, maybe next year. Be a good pair for me.

23. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Hey wait a minute. I thought you were getting a Porshe Panamera turbo, no I meant a 997 turbo, no I meant a California, no, I'm getting a 599. Yeah, that's what I'm getting a 599!

24. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Exactly.

It all started off trying to figure out where the hell to dump the Maserati GranTurismo in which I'm so disappointed before it depreciates to half the sale price by the end of year two, ****ing POS, so much to complain about in build quality and quirkiness. At the time just a couple months ago business wasn't so good, lots of props out, lots of expensive BD, no wins. So I was looking at dumping both italians on something a little practical to get me out of the maser depreciation free fall.

Then a win came in, and another, and the second one then doubled in scope. I took a hard look at the Maser and decided I still hated it even if it wasn't about the money. Many reasons. But the Panamera was really redundant to my daily driver and I didn't need my second car to be that practical anymore.

The 997 came up because it would scratch the itch for a world class supercar and book well enough to hide ALL of the maserati depreciation.

Then my VP told me he really had to have his company car now, so then the Maser starts getting appraised at various MB dealers around the area and will probably be traded tomorrow at a $25k loss from the $23k off list I bought it at, which is still generous and $8k over what ****ing Ferrari of Washington offered. Bastards.

So now I have new revenue streams, still feeling a tad practical, still want to keep it to one fun car but want my family along when possible so decide absolutely on a Cali.

But we all have that bucket list, the cars we search for occasionally that we must someday own, the ones that if they come up we just have to figure a way. So I did a quick round of due diligence one last time before deciding which California.

This 599 listed this weekend, incorrectly. They listed it initially without pictures and as a manual. When it said Bordeaux I was expecting a more standard Ferrari color, Fiorano or Rubino maybe, love them all. On the off chance it was mis-listed and actually F1 which would make it my number one most sought after bucket list find, I visited the dealer listing and low and behold. I insisted on a deposit Monday morning and they had a backup deposit on her by Monday afternoon. Who knows, if it had been listed correctly and/or with pics, I may not have been the first one in.

This is it. Already done the financing, ppwk coming fedex. Clutch reads 76%. Car has already had some of the scary stuff replaced like the radiator, common failure. Steering pump. It's a done deal as soon as I receive the ppwk and turn it around.

25. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Congratulations! I think you'll love the 599. Sorry about the Maserati . I'm always thinking about buying one but it seems like it left a bad taste in your mouth. I know depreciation is pretty steep but can you imagine if you had to pay MSRP? Congrats again on the 599. BTW, Are you keeping the 612?