Ferrari California Test Drive Crash | FerrariChat

Ferrari California Test Drive Crash

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by southnc, Jul 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
  2. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Stupid driver, very bad

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Not sure why the moderator moved this thread from Non-Specific forum to this one, since this is more about bad driving than the California model. :(

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    For a few reasons. One is that multiple threads on this same video would likely be posted - yours in "not model specific," someone else's in "California," etc. We prefer to keep the discussions centralized in a single thread as opposed to having four different threads running on the same splintered discussion (which happens with virtually every single Ferrari crash that's discussed here).

Another reason is that it makes it easier to locate the thread later on. When someone is trying to find "that Ferrari California crash video thread," they'll know where to look. There have been a number of Enzo crash threads. Guess where they are all located? We also know exactly where to look for all of the 250 GTO crash threads. The recent LaFerrari crash threads (that were all merged into a single thread)? Yep, in the model-specific subforum.

No one's saying that you did something wrong, or that you posted it in the wrong place, we're just putting it where it will eventually belong - and leaving a redirect in "not model specific" while we're at it. We've been doing the same thing with every single crash thread for over a decade, so don't take it personally.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 4th_gear, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Appears to a "test drive", in Italy? I'm surprised the "salesman" let the guy drive that fast under those conditions. Looks like he gassed it right in the middle of the corner without setting up the car for it, skidded and flubbed the corrections.

Showing off in a fast car with other people onboard or other cars in company is often a very risky thing to do.

6. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #6 MisterMaranello, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Guys, it's not a "test drive" in the traditional sense. I am relatively certain that this is a video from one of those rental companies around Maranello which offer guided road tours (and a video of your "test drive" for a premium). The general consortium of companies have a somewhat shabby reputation, and they have 'agents' lurking outside the Museum and other places trying to fetch business. They are infamous for allowing their customers to drive the cars in a poor fashion with little or no regard for traffic laws or the safety of others.

Notice how the 'instructor' is guiding him into incorrect lanes, through at least one red light, telling him to speed in dense traffic etc. (I even think the instructor gives a handsign for him to give the car power just as he enters the residential road where he spins).

A quick search on youtube will provide testament to my statements, there are videoes of numerous near-accidents where the consequences could have been very severe. I particularly recall a speeding Scud which nearly hit an oncoming car at close to 200 km/h. I would not call it unreasonable to assume thay the outcome of an head-on collision at those speeds is likely to be fatal for all parties involved...

If you are a calm-witted and reasonable driver, it's not a problem to do the tour. But if you're a boy racer with an urge to drive like a dimwit on the public road you should stay far away from such powerful machinery... Unfortunately it appears that a fair portion of the customers that these businesses attract belong to latter category.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, this so-called "test drive" video is looking more and more fishy.

I was going through it again to try and catch some of the points you mentioned and noticed the cover of the driver-side pop-up roll-over protection was not secured became loose, literally coming off (at 1:23) during the drive. Why would the cover be so loose at all unless maybe the pop-up has deployed before?

I wonder who originally posted the video. Hopefully, such dangerous outfits will find themselves out of business soon enough.

8. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Quick rundown (skimming through video now just to note a few obvious things)

0:08 - instructor seems to communicate he should look to overtake the car in front.
    1:17 - unsafe overtake
    1:30 - instructor urges him to keep speeding
    1:44 - wrong lane and red light
    2:05 - extremely high speed through junction (I believe the passenger says 180 km/h)

I would say the driving starting from ca 1:20 is overly hazardious.

9. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Now I know why they kept the protective red seat covers on while driving.

Avoiding brown stains.

10. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Turn the steering all the way and floor the gas pedal, isn't this part of drifting show??? Even a 200 hp car would drift that way.

11. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Good work overcorrecting.

I was actually expecting him to do something stupid on the straightaways.

12. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Can anyone translate what's being said after the crash?

13. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The instructor if we can call him that repeated several times that he had told him to go slow. All this interspersed with blasphemies and words not exactly elegant to repeat here, although I probably don't know if technically outside Italy blasphemies have a meaning..

14. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Hah! Yeah right... :rolleyes:

15. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Did this happen in Mode: CST off?

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good question and based on the way the car skidded, the reckless nature of these people, I wouldn't be surprised if the car was driven in CST-off mode.

17. Michaelzeiss

Michaelzeiss Karting

May 5, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Michael Zzzz

Maybe, maybe not. Saw the video and the steering wheel was turned and cannot see the manatino switch. I've driven my F430 in "Wet" mode in a complete open parking lot to test the traction control and made fast turns and it is possible to still loose control.

Sent from my Ferrari F430 & 360

18. Michaelzeiss

Michaelzeiss Karting

May 5, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Michael Zzzz
    Wonder how they deal with the damage in Italy? Does the driver have to pay? I remember doing the same kind of tour in Paris and I drove a red California near Champs-Élysées and the instructor said I have to surrender my passport, I get it back after the tour. If the accident is not my fault, I don't have to pay BUT if I caused the accident because I failed to listen to the instructor or driving recklessly, then I have to pay for the damage, hence the reason why he holds my passport.

Sent from my Ferrari F430 & 360

19. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    You can have all the aides in the world, but if you drive too fast or make fast suddent changes with the steering wheel ect. that upsets the car, you can crash anything. TC and ESC will help, but it's won't correct for stupidity. This could easily happen in sport if the driver is inexperienced or wreckless. In thiis case, he looked to be both.

I bet the bodyshops in Maranello love these tours.

20. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #20 DK308, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    Thank you for the translation. Yup, blasphemies have a meaning outside of Italy too.

I see you're from Lucca. It's one of our favourite places in Europe, My wife and I have some friends who used to live there. What a beautiful place to be

21. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Highly unskilled driver. Sounded like he actually hit the gas mid corner and look at his hands position on the wheel, atrocious.

Sadly, it seems this is the new breed of poseurs ferrari is appealing to. I people wonder as in the other thread, why no one shows up at Ferrari DE's. These arn't actual driving or car enthusiasts buying these cars hadly anymore. They just want it as a fashion statement, like a hand bag or something.

22. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Oh thank you! What a beautiful thought

23. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe

The Manettino is in the Sport position which could mean it's A: in sport B: CST

What does this have to do with anything? It's a rental, smarty pants...

24. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    No airbag deployment???

25. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe

I'm pretty sure they abide by regular insurance policies for high-value rentals. There is almost always a (high) personal waiver that is deductible in case of damage, regardless og who's "fault" it appears to be.

You will have to forward a claim to the responsible party's insurance holder, if you want your money back, and the damage is not your fault. (Often backed by a police report on the accident).