Thoughts on a high mileage California? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on a high mileage California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by venono, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venono

venono Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    I found this little gem:
    2010 Ferrari California for Sale

Do you think it is reasonable to buy a car with this much mileage? I want to drive the car for a few years (maybe put 5-6k miles on it) and then sell it. If I could a deal on this for 100k do you think it's a good bet?

I have the cash to get something with lower mileage and a higher price but I'm trying to get a deal.

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    It is a lot of mileage If it were me I would not buy it.. If I wanted to spend 100K or so on a Fcar there are lots of slightly older cars with very low mileage available for around 100K ..
    Like maybe a 550 or 575 or 360....

3. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    #4 Dohangs, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    I'd spend a little more and get one with half those miles.

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Paint looks good, tires look good, check the amount of brake pad ($3K for set of pads). This car seems to have only a couple option, the white calipers and shields, no other options, no cruise, carbon, stitching or leather colors. But it is a modern Ferrari without belts and other issues. I have no fear of putting miles on mine. 360's are gorgeous too but I'd rather have a newer Cali as it is more useful, hauls more stuff, etc. and is faster :).

Rick

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #6 MalibuGuy, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    The Ad states car has Magneride a good option to have. Photos also show optional forged wheels, optional passenger footplate, optional Daytona seats and optional matching leather upper and lower armrest and center tunnel.

I think you can get a 360 spider for about the same price or less.

Hard to choose between the two models as they are very different cars.

What would a F430 spider cost?

6. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I totally agree, the days of not driving these cars i feel are behind us, why not put 15k miles per year on the car. I know for me, when i finally get her, i will drive the snot out of it, i am 62 and this probably will be the best and last of my sports cars. I had a Porsche 997 with F77 package and put 100k miles on her and traded for my first Maserati. I feel i could driven her another 100k but really wanted the Maserati. Drive the cars, the will depreciate and so what. One never knows when your timer is out. :)

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I agree drive the snot out of it but my concern with buying a high mileage ferrari is that I did not put the miles on and just don't really know what secrets the miles hide. The problem is if something breaks and it will the costs will be very high.. find one with 1/2 the mileage pay a little more.. just my thought..

8. nsortor12

nsortor12 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2013
    Louisville
    I've dealt with higher-mileaged Ferraris in my time (sub 100k miles) and they tend to run just fine! The only caveat is that you need to know how the car was taken care of over those miles (77,000 in this case) which would mean the dealer would have to disclose all of the service records before you could even consider driving her home. :)

But if you can get a steal of a deal on it and really don't want to fork over the extra change to pick one up with half the miles, I don't see an issue with the car as long as, as I said before, it was taken care of and properly serviced. :D

Good luck with your search.

Nick

9. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    There is no reason to get a 360 or a 430 just for the clutch problems that these 2 bring with themselves.

Double clutch alone is a reason to choose the Cali.

10. SuperMagnetMan

Jul 4, 2014
    I have been wondering when the sentiments would shift this direction. I really think that Ferrari has done everything they can to tell the world these cars are meant to be driven. I know prior to the last 10 years of Ferraris the number 1 concern was maintenance costs but the company has really pulled out all the stops with the latest move to give first 7 years of maintenance with the car - with unlimited mileage and the ability to keep buying additional 2 years of warranty after the original 3 years. Warranty cost is really the best indication of the probability of car problems. Anyone selling a warranty has based the price on the incident rate. Cars with lots of problems have high warranty costs.

I have put 1,100 miles on my new Cali I just got last week. Absolutely thrilling. I can't imagine how people can buy these and cover them up in a garage and enjoy it as much as driving it. I will split driving duties with my Lexus IS 250 C once I get past the first month but I really think that Today's Ferrari is not like Yesterday's and I don't think driving them will hurt them.:)

11. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    +1