Radiator fan keeps running | FerrariChat

Radiator fan keeps running

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RickLederman, Jul 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Twice recently my radiator fan continued to run after shutting the Cali off. I never heard that with either my 2010 Cali nor this 2012 Cali and thought it was strange. The first time I drove it around a bit and shut it off again and all was well. Today I shut it down, the fan kept going, so I walked away thinking it need to cool. 45 minutes later I come back to the car and it is still running! I turned the key on and it shut down.

I just asked my mechanic where the fan relay was so I could try to whack it to see if it is sticking. More news at eleven :)

Rick

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wow, that's kind of worrisome. Some cars may have a thermostatically-control engine fans but the fan in my Cali30 shuts off when I turn off the engine. I have to pop the hood to help cool the engine compartment. I wonder, was it abnormally or extremely hot when you noticed the fan continuing to run after shut-off?

It's a good thing you caught it or you'll have another car with a dead battery!

3. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    #3 RickLederman, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Got the report from the dealer today. Ferrari has seen a number of sticking fan relays so they changed the fan relays. Oil change and new PZero's (finally I get rid of the stupid slippery Super Sports! Test drive today with the old MSS and the mechanic said the rear stepped out on him not pushing the car at all, normal for MSS).

Rick

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Geez, I hope those nasty fan relays were only limited to certain lots!

I have yet to wear out my PZeros :( :) but they have yet to slip out from under me by surprise. However, I do understand the "Ferrari-rated" PZeros appear to be shaved-down versions of the regular PZeros and I believe there are similarly shaved-down versions of the MSS.

Were your MSSs the "Ferrari-rated" (shaved) versions? I don't doubt your experiences with yours but other people seem to have vastly different experiences so I wonder if you're all actually referring to "different tires". I mean, that would explain it, wouldn't it?

5. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Not all the Ferrari K spec MPSS are shaved. The F12 aren't, neither are the FF and 458 tyres. The only one that really uses a shaved MPSS is the 599GTO, which have a tread depth of 7/32" as opposed to 10/32". The big difference is, that the Ferrari K spec MPSS uses a tread on the same section width tyre, that is quite a bit wider and with different compounds. Some also have slight variations in tread design. As a quick example off the top of my head is the front MPSS 235/35R20 K1 for the 458 which have a tread that is a whole inch wider than a stock MPSS 235/35R20. Both have 10/32" tread depths.

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My Cali experience ... this Cali came with Michelin Sports ... I forgot to specify tires when I ordered it. I drove them a few months daily. The car stepped out on an expressway entrance when I was not even pushing it at all! A couple weeks later I threw them out for a set of Michelin Super Sports. They were almost as bad, very slippery. They do stick a little once they get VERY hot, but I mean very hot. My first Cali came with PZero's. They are far stickier even when cold, however they get about 1/2 of the miles given that I drive them like it is a rental car. So, finally I again need new tires and have gone back to the PZero's, finally! I look forward to getting her back. and doing the comparison again.

Rick

7. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Just to clarify. There are no Ferrari spec Michelin Super Sport for the Cali. The Michelin for the Cali were the Pilot Sport 2.

8. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    How do the Bridgestone or Sumis work on the Fcar, I have used both on my Mas and it is great ?

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for your posting. I see you appear to have some interesting information to add to the discussion, about tires but the discussion about K-spec tires and why Rick has had disappointing experiences with the MSS (actually MPSS) on his FF would appear to remain unresolved.

According to multiple sources, K-spec MPSS (Pilot Super Sport) tires for Ferraris do appear to exist. Here is a Motortrend drag race comparison between 11 fast cars, which include a 458 on K-spec MPSS tires. Note the text highlighted in crimson in the screenscrape below.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here is a posting with photos showing the tire differences in a 2012 BMW forum (Bimmerpost) discussion on MPSS K-spec Ferrari ties.

Finally, here are a number of screenscrapings from Tirerack showing very clearly that there are K1 and K2 Ferrari spec MPSS tires as well as Merc and Porsche spec versions of the MPSS. Here's the pricing information on the K1 spec standard size tires for a 458:

Here's the details on those tires including tread depth:

And here's a partial list of MPSS tires showing K2 spec, Merc, BMW, Porsche as well as 255 and 285/30ZR20 K1/K2 spec tires at 7/32" tread depth.

Perhaps Rick or his dealer garage can copy down the full specs off the MPSS on his FF so we can dig up more information on them. Otherwise, there remains a very wide discrepancy between various real-world experiences of these tires vs. say, the PZero. Here's a Car and Driver test comparison between various summer performance tires where the MPSS came 1st and the PZero came in a distant 9th.

Here's what the Tirerack says about tires for the FF. The MPSS is apparently the standard OEM tire and it is K1 spec. The equivalent PZero is XL spec.

There are differences in tread depth as well as other tire characteristics (the MPSS K1 has better specs!).

Here is the Tirerack list for other PZero tires that may or may not fit the FF. Note the various Merc, Jag, Porsche, K1/XL/SL Ferrari spec tires.

I have no idea what (technical) features these specs may define. Maybe someone else can help out here.

10. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Yes, there are MPSS tires for Ferrari. All I was trying to say was, that there aren't MPSS OEM tyres for the Cali, and that maybe the bad experience Rick has had on the OEM MPS2 wouldn't necessarily translate to the MPSS. I find them to be very different tyres. To address the K1/XL/SL designations. Like N Spec are for Porsche, A for Audi ect. K specs are for Ferrari. The XL just means that the tyre is reinforced, so it will have a stronger sidewall and a higher load rating. SL just means that the tyres are without reinforcement. As an example, the K1 295/35R20SL (101Y) are for the 458 and the K1 295/35R20XL (105Y) are for the FF.
    K1 and K2 in this case just means that the K2 go together with a K2 and the K1 with a K1. That might sound a bit confusing, as there are many K1 tyres. But the 599GTO and the F12 share the same size rear tyre, so this just means that the K1 315/35R20 should go with the K1 285/30R20 for the GTO and the K2 315/35R20 should go with the K2 255/35R20 as to distinguish between tyres and avoid a mismatch, as they are both XL tyres with a 110 load rating and have a (Y) speed rating.

I apologize if something came across as a negative critique about anything said here. I don't doubt Ricks experience for a second. From what I can gather, he is one of the members here who drive his cars the most. It was merely to add information about the OEM Michelin tyres.

Best

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for the additional helpful information. ;)

FWIW, I understood you weren't being negative and I also knew you have interesting information to share about tires but I also knew from personal experience, that your information was either incomplete and/or inconsistent.

And BTW, Tirerack indicates that there ARE K-spec tires for the California 30. Here is a screenscrape showing what the Tirerack specifies as standard OE(M) K2 tires for the Cali30, 19" PZeros:

OTOH, the 20" OE(M) tires for the Cali30 appear to be regular spec:

It's also interesting to note the smaller 19" K2-spec tires COST MORE than the 20" regular spec tires.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #12 4th_gear, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's some more information from the Tirerack about the differences between the MPSS and PZeros choices for the Cali30… review ratings. Notice the MPSS has way more reviews than the PZeros 755 vs 235 and a numerical average of 9.1 vs, 7.79 of the PZero.

I also don't doubt Rick's experiences with is tires for a second so I'm left trying to figure out why there is such a wide variance in owner satisfaction with the MPSS. I will have to buy new tires before too long so it is of personal interest and not a hypothetical question.

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I found out about Michelin super sport tires when I saw them being used for a shoutout between the 458 and Mclaren.

I too found that the Michelin Pilot Sports were slippery at the rear.

So I switched to the Michelin Super sports and found them to be a major improvement.

I even posted about them and perhaps influenced Rick and others to give them a try.

However, I live in SoCal where it is pretty warm. Rick drives in a much cooler part of the country and this may explain his disappointing experience.

I never tried the P tires because tread wear was important to me. I think Rick doesn't care so much about that. For an ex porsche man he is having a great time with his F cars!

I have Michelin Super Sports on my 458 spider and have no complaints

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    One of the reasons I tried the MSS was the Car & Driver test, listing the MSS as first place and the PZero in last place. Correct, the MSS were way better than the MS! The testers made a big deal about properly warming them up first, something that simply does not happen on the open road!

I'll be back probably early next week with the PZero's on it and my initial impression. Actually the one very cool thing about the MSS was the tread life! Way better than the PZero.

Rick ... back soon!

15. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I think we're on the same page:) There's a couple of things that strikes me in all this as well, and like you, I'm curious. If Ricks bad experience are with the OEM MPS2 and not the MPSS, that could account for the difference in the survey points you show. I find the MPSS to be very different, and vastly superior to the MPS2 in general. Looking across the forum, it seems to me that most prefer MPSS over P Zero when it comes to Ferrari OEM tyres, especially in the 458 forum.

Regarding the price difference. Tyre size and price don't go hand in hand, so to speak. It's about demand. A 225/40R18 will sometimes be dirt cheap compared to an oddball size like a 215/30R17. Uncommon tyre sizes are stupid expensive at times. Also, sometimes OEM spec tyres are more costly to produce either because of low production figures for special production criteria.

About the K spec stuff you posted. Yes, there are Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestone K spec tyres for the Cali, Cali 30 and Cali T. however, the MPSS K1 245/35R20XL you show, are meant for the front of the FF and there are no MPSS K spec 285/35R20 matching rear. Generally, there are no 20" OEM Michelin tyres for the Cali cars. The matching OEM Michelins for the Cali, Cali30 and Cali T are MPS2 tyres in 19". That being said, I think a set consisting of the front FF MPSS K1 245/35R20XL and the 458 K1 295/35R20 rear, as the Cali does not call for an XL load rating in the rear, would be a great choice for the Cali, Cali30 and Cali T.
    I've never been a Pirelli guy, so I don't have a lot of info on those in general. Those I've had in the past on various cars, I've never really been pleased with.

16. Tifoso48

Tifoso48 Karting

Feb 3, 2013
    Sunny Isles Florida
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    Is yours a Cali-t?

I have Porsche Turbo and also had an Audi Turbo.
    In both cars it was not unusual for fan to run after shutting off the car.

Good luck!

17. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Nope, 2012 Cali, not T, not 30. And with these modern Ferraris the fan should always turn off when the ignition is turned off. Coolant continues to be moved through the heater box though as the heater fan sometimes turns on shortly after the engine shuts down, and continues for a few minutes. And the Ferrari factory said they have seen these symptoms and found sticking relays.

Rick

18. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Got the Cali back yesterday. All is well. The PZero's stick WAY better than the MSS's, even when totally cold this morning. Starting another thread about the service.

Rick

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Interesting.

Personally-speaking, I have no complaints about my PZeros and my tires are actually wearing at a reasonable rate so far. I simply noticed many people including car mags seem to like the MPSS better..

Please keep us informed of your impressions of your new PZeros.

20. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    More driving the Cali today and again affirmed that the PZeros stick way better.

Rick