Questions from a Newb! | FerrariChat

Questions from a Newb!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Styless, Jul 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Styless

Styless Rookie

Jul 22, 2014
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a new california owner. I just bought a 2010 and noticed two issues that perhaps you guys have run into.

1 - I noticed that when i ride the car with the hardtop in place, there's a very loud clunking sound going on in the trunk. Is this normal? The dealership says it's normal. Thoughts?

2 - When driving north of 100 km/hr, i notice there's a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks in advance, and look forward to reading other members' posts!

2. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    Welcome to the Forum! Is the noise continuous or occasional? I can confirm that in my first 2010 Cali, I had a clunking noise from the rear of the car on occasion, especially during sharp turns or over bumps which the dealership also diagnosed as normal. In my second Cali the noise is much less prominent.

The vibration in the steering wheel sounds abnormal. Could be a tire balancing issue. Do the front rims look to be in perfect condition on the car? A damaged rim could be the other cause.

Congrats on the Cali purchase. I am sure you will have many years of great enjoyment from the car.

3. Styless

Styless Rookie

Jul 22, 2014
    Thanks 612scag.

The noise is occasional. I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one then!

The funny thing is i got new tires and rims as part of the deal. The tires should have been balanced right before purchase and the rims are obviously in mint condition. I guess i'll have to take the car back to the dealership to sort this one out.

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    +1 all the way. I put almost 30,000 miles on my 2010 Cali before trading up to my 2012 that now has 22,000 miles. I seldom hear noise from the top! And there is absolutely no vibration from the front unless it has been setting for a month or more while I drive the FF. Then it might take a couple miles to get the flat spots out, no more than that though.

Rick ... and Welcome to the forum and the Ferrari Experience :)

5. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    Definitely worth getting this checked out. I have absolutely no vibration on my current Cali and had none in my earlier one either. The dealer should be able to address this pretty easily. If the rims are brand new, tire balancing would seem to be the most probably issue in my view.