Second 'free' service for my Cali | FerrariChat

Second 'free' service for my Cali

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RickLederman, Jul 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Just had the second 'free' service for my Cali and a list of what was accomplished. This one comes one year after the last. Roughly 22,000 miles on her so it was time driven not miles like the first service. They changed the oil filter, with the copper washer for the filter, eleven quarts of 5W40 oil. They also changed the brake fluid and replaced the water pump belt and air conditioning belt.

Rick

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So this must be your 2nd annual (free) maintenance visit. Not bad but I'm surprised they didn't check or replace the spark plugs after 22,000 miles of use or did they already check them recently?

Does your dealer report tire and brake pad wear details as well?

3. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Rick,

I thought you traded in the Cali a long time ago for the FF? Did you get another?

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I sold the 2010 Cali in late 2011 with almost 29,000 miles on her and ordered a 2012. Six months later I added the FF and kept the Cali :).

Rick

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    They changed the spark plugs on the FF at the 36,000 mile point. I assume the Cali will be the same. I should look in the warranty book.

MAG is good at reporting to me when things are getting thin although I do that myself too. I must admit though I have not checked the brake pads recently and will do that. I look the rubber over every couple thousand miles.

Rick

6. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Rick and 4th Gear...thanks for sharing your wealth of information about everything Ferarri. I just got my 2014 Cali 30 in May...I already have 1500 miles which is pretty good since I get to drive her on the weekend....

Question for you...should I have Ferrari change the oil at 1500? I seem to remember on some of my other cars, it was a good idea to change the oil after break in. Given the precision of the engine parts, that may not apply to the Cali. I would love to get your thoughts....

7. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Rick and 4th Gear...thanks for sharing your wealth of information about everything Ferarri. I just got my 2014 Cali 30 in May...I already have 1500 miles which is pretty good since I get to drive her on the weekend....

Question for you...should I have Ferrari change the oil at 1500? I seem to remember on some of my other cars, it was a good idea to change the oil after break in. Given the precision of the engine parts, that may not apply to the Cali. I would love to get your thoughts....

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ron, thanks for your appreciation. I can't speak for Rick but for me, I often just like to keep the discussions going since I'm learning so much from other people's responses. :)

About the oil change you mentioned, some car makers use extra-light engine oil during the break-in period, presumably to speed up the process but AFAIK, that's not what Ferrari does. I also asked them about that. The engine oil of the newly-delivered car is apparently regular oil so I would just let Ferrari perform oil service when it is called for in its maintenance schedule.

BTW, how do you like your '14 Cali30 so far? I particularly love the huge "WHUFF… WHUFF" downshifts when coming to stops at intersections. :D

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I should do that too. IMO, 36,000 mile before spark plug service is a bit looooong. It certainly wasn't part of my 1st annual service.

10. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks for the insight...

I do love the WHUFF WHUFF too...I took me a bit to adjusting to paddle shift driving coming from an older Merc SL55. I really love the dual personalities of the car. You really can cruise in comfort or you can dial it up when you really want to get on it. I also really love the dual clutch. It switches gears so massively fast, with such an amazing sound...there is just nothing like it. The HS pack with magnaride is another great feature that you can really feel the difference in comfort and sport. I am super happy with the car.

11. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    #11 RickLederman, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    Ron,

On all three of my cars I simply waited (not long :D) to hit the 12,500 mile mark to get the oil changed, even the first time. That's what Ferrari recommends so it is good enough for me. In fact with the 7 year maintenance plan you are not allowed to get extra service, free service anyway. You would have to pay for it yourself. This second Cali competes for miles with the FF so this time it hit the one year mark before it started warning me it was due service. Your Cali will also tell you when it is time for service based on whichever comes first, miles or a year. My FF once required one quart of oil between changes but only once. I've never had to add oil to either California. Brake pads should last you maybe 40,00 miles or more?? My first Cali went through a set of pads at about 25,000 miles however I spent five 30 minute sessions on the Mid Ohio race course at a Driver's Education event over two days :). I believe that ate up about 50% of the brake life! But was that F U N !!!

I glad you are enjoying her! The Ferrari Experience is awesome. :)

Rick

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I just looked at the Cali brake pads, front look new (guess I need to drive it harder :)) and rears look 1/2 gone or slightly more (guess I am driving it hard :D). All after 22,000+ miles. Rears go from ESC coming on to keep the rear in line. Since I got rid of the stupid slippery MSS tires maybe the rear brake wear will drop some? No matter, its all about having fun!

Rick

13. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Does MSS = Michelin Pilot Super Sports (which I do not consider slippery) ??

14. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks Rick. I think it is great that you put so many miles on your Ferraris and even tracked the Cali. These cars are really rock solid and meant to be enjoyed. Thanks again for sharing your experiences. #respect

15. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    MSS, Michelin Super Sports ... I guess Pilot Super Sports is the correct name looking at their website but I've always simply referred to them as Michelin Super Sports.

Just comparing the two. The rear of my Cali came out all the time with the MSS, and was REALLY bad with the original MS (Michelin Sports) that came on the car. My first Cali came with PZero's and I was shocked how slippery the MS were. I switched to MSS on recommendation of a Car & Driver review. They were better than the MS but still sucked. 20,000 miles later (this week) I put new PZeros on it and I am back to a Cali who's rear end no longer flips out all the time.

No test measurements or instrumentation. Just a heavy right foot and knowing the response of the Cali VERY well since I drive them every day, and I mean every day. No surprises with the PZero, regular surprises with the MSS. I push my cars regularly, not saving them for the next owner. Yep, they will depreciate faster but who gives a crap about that, there is too much fun to be had and I am having the fun, and don't care about the next guy. There will be plenty of fun left in them though :). Except my Ferrari's may be the best documented around.

Rick

16. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    We've noted this before, but Ricks experience is not the same for others including me...not sure why but I don't question his experience. Just doesn't match mine...

SV

17. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Thanks for sharing Rick. Your enthusiasm is infectious.

18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    +1. Much happier with MPSS on the Spider than PZeros on the Cali but as they are 2 different cars, I can't make a direct tire to tire comparison. I feel the grip is superior with the MPSS.

19. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Thanks! Yep, lots of minor little differences of opinion which in the end really don't matter (I have no opinions as I am simply right :D) just information sharing .... for all of us fortunate enough to drive a Ferrari it is simply the Ferrari Experience. Way better than the Porsche experience.

Rick