beautiful noise of California T? | FerrariChat

beautiful noise of California T?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by radicalmagcom, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. radicalmagcom

radicalmagcom Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    peter
    we have been recently in Maranello to testdrive the new California T. we really like the new engine, the handling, the precision - but we seem to be the only ones who do not like the sound. what do you think - can a V8-Turbo be a «real» Ferrari? (and yes, we know about the F40...)

Fahrbericht Ferrari California T: Seite 1-2
    (sorry, it's only in german...)

2. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    There are many people already complaining about the sound of the Cali T.
    And F40 is technically a straight pipe because by that time, they didn't use a cat yet. And F40 sounds worse and much quieter than stock 360CS, and doesn't have a screaming sound like stock 458. But it's a 1980s though, by that time of course that sounded very very good.

3. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    wonder if this will help pre-T Californias hang on to some value?

4. radicalmagcom

radicalmagcom Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    peter
    anybody know about if there already some after-market modifications available?

5. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    turbo sound will be always bad, new exhaust will not help much

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I thought that there is a sports exhaust option available ?

7. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Strictly cosmetic...

8. f_399

f_399 Karting

Oct 11, 2009
    Turbo and some sort of hybrid is the future.

It is starting to trickle down from Formula 1.

9. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    we must either accept change or stay in older cars :(, the future for Ferrari in V8 will be turbo, next will be the 458 T, i also read that they will come out with a six, which may be the 456. 12 cyllanders will be NA

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #10 Wheels1, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    that has been on the configurator for some time now, as Keith stated our understanding is that it is strictly cosmetic. Having said that, and given its the cheapest option on the car, i ordered it :)

12. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    I was told by dealer that the Sport Exhaust is cosmetic only...with fins/turbine-look on the inside the exhaust tips (maybe it does make a slight sound difference?). The idea that it's cosmetic is believable to me because the 458 Sport option is also cosmetic (where the Sport option has black tips and the standard is polished). To each is own, but personally I like the look of the standard Cali pipe better because fins make the exhaust opening look a little small and delicate to my eye.

13. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    #13 not4one, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    You beat me to the punch on that one! We must compare sound of our exhausts in Florida this winter :)

14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #14 Wheels1, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    Here is both, but the sound of the clip is rubbish, but at least it shows how they look different.

It also looks to me, as if the silver one has a brake light out already!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMVdL6uoaOU

15. fsprow

fsprow Rookie

Oct 21, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Sprow
    Drove the car in Europe a couple of weeks ago and like it very much. However, the sound is indeed pretty terrible. More like a Honda with a big exhaust.

16. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    The original "sport exhaust system" looks like a tubistyle exhaust.

17. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    I bet Ferrari won't last long with the turbo and will release the hybrid soon. Because if you want speed and agility, many brand can offer that, like 911, Nissan GTR, McLaren, BMW, etc. What makes Ferrari so different is the passion (the look and the sound). Now the look is still there, but the sound is gone.

18. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Agreed! Turbo is temporary, hybrid is the future ... Imagine a natural v8 with extra HP from electric motor, would still get the sound and the added torque ... Just need the price to be more reasonable; they (and Porsche) have already proven it can be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

no complaints w/ my berlinetta boxer w/ sport exhaust...sounds a whole lotta ok:)

20. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    that would be great, we have a ferrari dinner each month and usually we have about 25 cars come to the different resteraunts :)

21. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    thats true for 850K (base, just as bad as FCar options )you also can have a 918 :)

22. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    The same thing has been debated a lot in the 458 forum regarding the 458 replacement, and the general consensus is no. Currently, new Ferraris get better and better, so most will like to have the latest and greatest thing. The majority will like to have the fast car and don't care about it being a turbo. The noise alone wouldn't do it for me, as to say no to a better driving car.

i haven't driven a Cali T yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll find it to be a better driving car than the Cali. I could be wrong though.

23. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    bast sounding Ferraris keep value->360CS