California T Driving Impressions | FerrariChat

California T Driving Impressions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Need4Spd, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Ferrari has been touring the U.S. and elsewhere with examples of the new California T for test driving by clienti. My wife and I were among the lucky ones to have received an invitation, so we of course took Ferrari up on its kind offer. My comments below are mainly drawn against our current '11 California for comparison. I haven't driven the updated California 30, but suspect its characteristics fit neatly between our present car and the T.

The cars we drove were Euro spec, and evidently pre-production, as none of them had U.S. side markers and all lacked CarPlay. We were allowed nearly 30 minutes of driving time, and our ride-along driving coaches pretty much let us do what we wanted, though reminding us that it was still OUR driver licenses at stake. I tend to keep my high performance driving to un-populated back roads and the track, and the driving route here was mainly through populated areas, so I didn't go crazy.

In terms of vehicle dynamics, the T is improved over the Cali in every way. The steering has more heft, but is not too heavy - just right. The steering is quicker without being nervous. The turn-in is crisper with less body roll, and feels more immediate and responsive.

The Ts we drove were equipped with Magneride, and as that option did for the Cali, it does for the T, but only better. I drove the T in Sport mode the entire time and the ride manages to be firmer than the Cali's, yet just as comfortable if not more so. The bumpy road button and setting on the steering wheel really works, too, and allows you to un-couple the damping settings from the throttle and other Sport mode parameters. It works well.

In terms of acceleration, the engine specs bring performance closely in line with a 458's. The 458 remains superior dynamically, but the T comes a lot closer to it than its Cali predecessors. I noticed no discernible turbo lag, especially once rolling. The throttle response seemed crisp and immediate, though some of the sensation was probably due to the extra push in the back from the added torque. There, the engineers really did a nice job. There is a rise to the torque and HP curve like a N/A engine. While this is somewhat artificially programmed in by holding some of the boost and power parameters back and doling them out, the result mimics a strong N/A in many respects. I can see people in the aftermarket retuning the ECUs to maximize available power and torque instead, but in my view, that would diminish the driving experience (and no doubt void the warranty).

By comparison, the Cali's torque curve seems too flat. The T seems eager to rev because of the seeming exponential rise in the power curve. On my Cali, there isn't the same sensation, so you're more easily tempted to simply upshift to a taller gear. On the T, I wanted to keep it in 2nd gear most all the time. On my car, I would not be seeing the LEDs on the steering wheel light up much unless I was pushing it on a backroad. On the T, it was so much fun to dip into the throttle, I was lighting them up much more often. All that said, I think my Cali has a bit of an edge in initial throttle response from a standstill start for maybe the first 15-20 feet.

The brakes are also improved. Unless my Cali is a bad example and/or the brakes haven't been bedded properly, the T has better initial bite and better progressive feel. They are confidence-inspiring on the T, while there are times when I wonder if my Cali really has CCBs.

So, the T is superior dynamically in just about every way over the Cali. Even though not pushing it hard, I felt I could go faster compared to my car and do so more comfortably and confidently. I felt that on a track, I could easily give 458s a run for their money, with the difference mainly due to driving skill. With the upgraded performance of the T, Ferrari has made it a real alternative to a 458 (spider), especially for those wanting a car with more comfort, and a more understated appearance.

In terms of outward appearance, everyone can see what the car looks like and will have their own views, so I'll skip that. What I will comment on is the new paint colors, as they are difficult to capture accurately in photos (and of course impossible to describe, but I'll try). They had cars with Rosso California and Blu California, along with one in Blanco (I think that's the name; it was white, whatever it's called) and one in TdF blue. I liked the Blu California more than I thought I would from the pics that I've seen on the web, but it is a fairly bright blue and far lighter than TdF. I'm not sure what they put into the paint but it definitely had more "excitement" than the TdF blue, which seemed almost dull by comparison, and I like TdF.

The color I wasn't prepared to like was Rosso California. But seeing it in real life I like it a lot. Again, I don't know what they put into it or how it's applied, but it has "excitement" in it due to the metallic flakes and yet the tone is understated and elegant. The flakes I think are golden rather than silver, or if there's a mix of gold/silver flakes, the gold ones must outnumber the silver, as the metallic bits give the ruby red color a warmth to it. If I end up getting a T, this is currently my front-runner color choice.

Now for the more subjective bits. The interior isn't necessarily improved in my view. Perhaps they will change the bezel on the central monitor when CarPlay is introduced, but to me it looked rather cheap compared to the Cali's. I appreciate the cupholder in the center console being always available (as contrasted with the pop-out one in the Cali), but the layout seems compromised by putting the cupholder there. Oddly, to me the interior also felt a bit less roomy than the Cali's.

Finally, the exhaust sound track. It's not bad, but here the Cali's is superior. As many reported, the sound is a bit lower in tone, but more than that, it just seems too quiet. I have no idea whether this can be remedied with aftermarket mufflers, since turbos by their very nature act as natural mufflers. But if you buy a T, be prepared to spend another $5k+ on a set of Capristos or Tubis. I never felt that need for my Cali.

As a counterpoint, my wife thought the sound on the T was just right. Now before you write that off to a male/female thing, her daily driver is a 510bhp XFR with Quicksilver exhausts that I think are almost too loud. (She also did the "wind in the hair test" by taking down the top on part of her test drive, and reports that with the windows up but with no windblocker installed, there is the same or less hair disturbance than with the Cali driven the same way. I kept the top up on my drive the entire time so I could concentrate on the dynamics, etc., figuring that the convertible part of the car hasn't changed much.)

So will I get a T? Despite the obvious praise I heaped on it above, I'm not so sure. In the days since the test drive, I've been driving my Cali a fair bit and am still really enjoying it. Though I spent relatively few words talking about the engine exhaust sound track, it is a big deal to me, and I'll bet to a lot of Ferrari owners. In a world with speed cameras and traffic, the current car is not exactly lacking in power or other performance parameters, and even though my car is not in California 30 form, it is quite good. Right now the price delta between my car and the new T is likely to be fairly large. The T is unquestionably faster and better performing. The T looks great. With a "discount" for the sound, is it worth the price delta? Don't know yet....

2. Ripped Fat

Ripped Fat Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Excellent write up, thanks. Interesting your comments on the throttle response and ride characteristics.

3. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Nice write up. Count me with your wife...having also driven it, I really enjoyed that the sound is a bit more subdued. It just feels right (to me at least) for a GT road car, but I will miss the occasional entertainment value of the gear shift "pop" under heavy throttle. I traded in a Spider on one very much for the reasons you suggest (though, on a track there really is no comparison between the two). Completely agree that it's disappointing not to see more progress on the interior. In terms of price, my new one is roughly 10% more than the new 2010 Cali I bought 4 years ago...that seemed like a reasonable adjustment to me.

4. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    great write up.

5. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Very useful and informative. I like this kind of "gifted amateur" report more than the auto journalists who always have an agenda.

6. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I am not sure if a after market exhaust system will significantly change the sound of the car. I would imagine that Ferrari spent much more money on the sound than Tubi or Capristo could ever do. what are your thoughts? Never had a turbo
    charged car before i am not sure.

7. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Very good and honest review. For some people who put speed on everything, the T sounds good. But for some people who need passion, a car that sounds not that good is not that passionate.
    IMO, you can feel the dynamic of the T compared to Cali, because the Cali after all is not that much dynamic, so there is a huge gap to improve. But as for the 458, the car is already sharp like a razor, then 458 Speciale even better. If the successor has to give away the sound quality for something sharper than razor, what are you going to cut? If we look at the example, 430 drives way better and faster than 360 CS, but 360 CS is currently one of the most wanted Ferrari out there, why, because it sounds very very good. So after all, sound is still one of the most important stuff. Any road going Ferrari won't be as sharp or as fast as a $80,000 Ultima GTR, if speed is all we need. This one will even smoke the LaFerrari in a track. We need a car that looks good and sounds good more than a car that can track 2 seconds faster.

8. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    In the California T, speed of response is achieved by having two small scroll turbos. As noted by Need4Spd, the software actually limits boost in the lower gears to give a further sensation of responsiveness. But the flip side is that the small turbos are limited in how much air they can move through the engine. Thus the redline is only 7500 RPM, which will not cut it in a 458-type car.

The high volume turbos of the 12C do deliver, but they also have a lot of turbo lag, which I personally do not find acceptable.

9. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    I would guess they all sound somewhat different, but I've had a couple of S63's with the "biturbo". The 2011 was very loud with a lot of rumble...so loud that I had the dealer put S550 mufflers on it to calm it down (which cost a small fortune!) Just got a new S63 and it has adjustable flaps...subdued in comfort mode and noticeably bassier in sport...a much better solution. In any event, in my limited experience with Mercedes turbos, as you open the pipes they get very deep with a lot of bass...not exactly a typical Ferrari sound. Not sure that the smaller displacement flat-plane in the California T would react the same way. Having heard the T, it makes sporty enough noises for me so I'm not going to mess with it.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Great write up- thank you very much. I think the way Ferrari is managing the power and making it mimic the characters of a NA motor are brilliant. Give them a lot of credit.

11. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    Great write up, thanks for the info.

12. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    So what are the engine specs on the T? Is the flat-crank gone? Seems like a V8T, rather than the V6T rumors last time I visited this forum. And yes, it's been a while :). By the way, wasted time reading several of the recent threads, and no engine specs at all. Thx.

13. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    3.9L V8 twin scroll flat plane crank

14. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Thanks guys. Performance should be pretty close to the 458 Spider now, no? And without the cramped footbox, 100 grand less, emergency rear seats, and more cargo space for 2. Hmmmm. Will look for a comparo one of these days :D.

15. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    LOL. The look of 458 Spider is still better. The fun is still better because of mid engine layout. Then the most important, the sound is 100 times better. Before the sound was 10 times better, now 100 times better.

16. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahaha! Yeah, the Cali T still can't pull as good as my 2004 Dodge Cummins, therefore it sucks. These comparisons are funny to me. Totally different feel, purpose etc., but folks continue to say this one is better or that one is better... LOL.

My wife hates the look of the 458 Spider. In fact, she really hates the look of all mid engine cars. Says they look awkward to her. She prefers 599, F12 and Cali. She does have a soft spot for the 911. It is about proportions to her. So, maybe the look trumps it for you, but not for everyone.

I will wait to see when ours comes in. If the sound is that big of a deal for me and my wife, we may keep our Cali and pass on the T. Hard to tell until we are actually in it, since there is a lot of subjectivity. If we pass and keep the Cali, maybe we will just order an F12 and wait. That one trumps all! :D

John

17. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Same here... my fiancee hated the 458 Spider I had on order but loves the Cali T.

18. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    My wife does not want to see, hear, look at anything Ferrari again in her life. I have totally made her crazy. Certainly this chat board, you tubes and the tons of information we gather here helps.

19. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahaha! It can certainly become an obsession...

20. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    My wife loved our Spider 'cause of the low cowl (she's 5' 1") and more spacious feeling interior compared to the Cali. She thinks the 458 is almost as good as a Mini convertible, but not as cute. When it comes to a Cali, she thinks a Bentley convertible is a better option because you can put real people in the back seat and she really loves the big flying "B" on the trunk lid. In other words, she's not one of us.

Are we really comparing them? There is nothing more fun to me than a 458 for blasting around winding roads or track, and the Cali T is a terrific GT car for everyday use on the street. On the other hand, the 458 is an attention magnet and a tiring car on the highway, and the Cali ain't no track car. They're very different animals for different needs at different times. Are many buyers really standing in a Ferrari showroom and saying "hmmm...Cali, 458, FF or F12?" I doubt it.

21. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    We must be the same person then Mitchell... haha. My fiancee feels the exact same way, lol! You guys are my therapy. :)

22. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    While I may be in the minority, I was one of those people... Started off with a 458 Spider on order, then switched to a Cali T (but was considering an FF as well instead of the Cali T). I won't track any of them and will use it as my DD.

23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Comparing apples and oranges. Women liked the look of my Cali more. Men love the spider. The spider is more engaging to drive. The mid-engine layout, steering and exhaust are superb. The spider corners like it's on rails. The Cali tended to float and was less agile on the twisting road. It was a more liveable daily driver but not necessarily better. I don't have children so the back seats were useless except for storage. I think with a family, the Cali is hard to beat. I envision an F12 in a few years when they plummet in price as most v12s historically do but realistically am concerned I will miss the mid-engine layout and top down motoring.

Btw even though I dailied a 911 for 4 years I thought the cayman s was more fun to drive.

24. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    I think probably the minority, but maybe I'm wrong...but definitely seems like a sensible move to switch the order if its a DD!