LAUNCH CONTROL QUESTION | FerrariChat

LAUNCH CONTROL QUESTION

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ELP_JC, Aug 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    #1 ELP_JC, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Hey gang, as you probably know, the owner's manual is crap regarding details. But thanks to Rick Lederman, here's the procedure for those who haven't done it (me included):

1. Manettino in SPORT mode
    2. Transmission in MANUAL mode, and '1' (first gear)
    3. Left foot on brake
    4. Press the 'PS' button until you hear 2 beeps and 'PS' appears under the '1' on the tach (this is NOT in the manual)
    5. Gas pedal to the floor
    6. Release brake

My only question left (also not mentioned in the manual) is if the tranny changes gears by itself during PS (gas to the floor), or you have to do it manually with the paddles. Normally, the tranny DOES NOT change gears by itself in SPORT and MANUAL modes (it bounces off the limiter). But I'm almost positive under 'PS' (launch control mode), it does. Rick told me PS doesn't work in 'comfort' mode, so you folks know. I might never try it since with a very early 2010 build (with 6K miles), I know the tranny is prone to fail, and don't want to push my luck out of warranty, and with no dealer anywhere close. But am curious :D. I'm also curious how slower the car is when just mashing the throttle from a stop (no 'PS', and no brake-torque).

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME? :D I want to know if you don't touch the paddles, if the tranny shifts or it hits the rev limiter (nothing happens to the engine; that's what it's for). Many thanks.

scottevestceo likes this.
  2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I have never done it but my ASSUMPTION is yes it would shift for you...

3. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Mine too, but want to know for sure. Guess none of the other 110 viewers have tried it either :D. Hopefully somebody can chime in to put this to rest.

4. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    On my 2014, I have done launch control in Sport Mode and "I" do the shifts because I am in sport-manual mode. You can definitely feel the difference in accelerating with launch control from a dead stop. With control, it shifts very aggressively with the paddles. Without launch control, it is still fast but I dont feel it lunge as much during shifts.

I will have to try it this weekend in PS while in sport-auto...

5. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I thought you had to be in ESC mode for PS. So, I only have tried it shifting manually as well...

John

6. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    So here is what I found out on my cali...I can't engage PS while in sport-auto. @John...you are correct...you can launch PS with ESC mode as well. Mine will also engage in sport-manual as well.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm surprised PS launches don't work with AUTO shifting. Theoretically the car should launch the fastest in AUTO mode because the ECUs would determine shift points, but… it's more fun to shift manually.

I'm also not sure if ESC-off mode will provide better performance than SPORT mode in standing starts because ESC-off means you allow for wheel slip, which happens when in standing starts. Presumably, the ECUs in SPORT mode would only intervene when wheel slip is detected. The one thing that ESC-off mode does help with is reduction in throttle response time, because there is no software intervention (no ECU thinking) over throttle application. Theoretically, the best scenario is to have the ECUs prevent wheelspin at launch and then switch to ESC-off mode once the car starts rolling. Should be simple to program into the software.

I imagine COMFORT mode is also not compatible with PS launches. In COMFORT mode, the shocks are set to be most compliant (i.e. they will allow for some squatting under abrupt acceleration) whereas in SPORT mode traction will be enhanced by reducing suspension compliance during launch (not sure what the dampers are set to in ESC-off mode). Throttle response in SPORT/ESC-off modes are also faster than in COMFORT mode. So "Performance Starts" for COMFORT mode wouldn't make the fastest launches.

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I've seen rumor posts that ESC was required, not the case, Sport or ESC works. Auto does not work.

Actually I just remembered that some time ago I tried leaving the PS off and simply held the brake while pressing the gas to the floor and it seems to me it still did the same thing as with PS. I need to try that again to verify.

Rick

9. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    On a euro/ Uk car it has to be in sport, manual for launch to work, The car will then shift for you although you can do it manually if you choose

10. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    That might be the same on my car too...I will try it next time I take it out. I think I was afraid that it wouldnt shift so I shifted before it revved out too far.

@4th_Gear...I think it does work in ESC off and manual as well. But I have not been able to get PS to engage in any "auto" mode. And, I dont think it engaged on in any instance in "comfort" mode. I am sure their is a best configuration to put it in...its fun experimenting. Thanks for the ideas

11. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard

To me it makes for sense to allow the F1 transmission to do the shifting. No one can shift faster or more accurately.

12. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    So here is what is I found out...I think I tested every possible combo.

With ESC Off and set to manual- Foot on the brake, engage PS, mash the gas, release the brake, my Cali 30 will launch and shift automatically. What i noticed that is tended wind out 2nd gear a little more than 1st. We can chalk that up to it being smarter than a human.

In Sport Mode and set to manual- Foot on brake, engage PS, mash the gas, release the brake, my Cali 30 launched and would NOT shift automatically. I had to do the shifting. It still felt like it had the same urgency as the ESC off mode but I am sure ESC off mode shifted at optimal times.

That was the only 2 combos that I was able to engage PS. In all scenarios the engine was popping and smiles were had all around.

I would be interested to hear if others had different experiences.

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Great info though I'd say Ferrari's programming is a bit counterintuitive and for me, backwards with respect to how it behaves in sport vs ESC off. I would prefer optimal shifting automatically with sport on, since after the car gets up to speed, I wouldn't want to lose control with ESC off! With ESC off, I would think then you're on your own in all aspects, even with PS launch.

14. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    #14 ELP_JC, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    Hey guys, so finally somebody is doing some testing, huh? :D

So ESC OFF/MANUAL shifts automatically, but SPORT/MANUAL does not? That's backwards indeed.... UNLESS 'PS' programming also overwrites traction control (not really off), just like it does manual shifting (allowing auto shifting). And Ron, you heard the 2 beeps and 'PS' showed up below the gear indicator when trying SPORT/MANUAL, right?

Finally, Rick, I wouldn't try mashing the throttle while on the brakes without 'PS' man; remember 'PS' limits the revs and doesn't actually engage the clutches until you release the brakes. Brake-torquing this car might damage your clutches, so I'd avoid it. Besides, newer (maybe '14 and up?) cars supposedly cut the throttle when both pedals are pressed, to avoid the 'unintended acceleration' lawsuits. And I'm almost sure even the '10 has it, as I just couldn't drive it up ramps when disconnecting the exhaust valves. Firsti, stupid car didn't let me reverse with the door open (to make sure I didn't overshoot the ramps). Then while touching the brakes (left foot) while accelerating, it switched to neutral. Could have been because I was too close to the wall (which also switches to N), so not entirely sure which one was it. Infuriating to say the least :).

Thank you very much to all willing to test this :). Have a great week ahead.

15. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    As I said, I think I tried that but would have noticed if it was brake-torqueing and if I actually did that then it did not brake-torque. I may try it again to see.

Rick

16. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    So upon further test runs...here is what I made a few more distinctions. The PS light shows up immediately when you hit the button and you are on level ground with the foot on the brake.

HOWEVER...as you mentioned the beeps. If you wait for the beeps to finish and then hit the accelerator, it DOES switch the gears automatically for you in both sport-manual and ESC-Off- Manual. I guess when you dont wait for the beeps to finish, it doesnt fully engage the PS correctly which is why I had to do manual shifting.

Sorry for the confusion...I guess they call that pilot error.

17. NJ-Cali

NJ-Cali Karting

Mar 9, 2012
    Interesting thread. This is my 3rd summer with the '12 and I've never tried Launch. I distinctly remember salesman telling me not to do it! Said if I did and trashed the tranny FNA would not cover the repair. I thought this odd but let it be as this was/is my only F car experience. Anyone else heard this?

18. Homerclese

Homerclese Rookie

Jun 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I was also told not to use it by the salesperson. But I'd love to try it. Is the consensus that it''s pretty safe if you're on a straight section of road?

19. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I've used launch a bunch of times in both of my Cali's and my FF with no problems.

Rick

20. Super50

Super50 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014
    If there is a button for it in the car, I am sure Ferrari expects it to be used.
    Does the car behave any different from sport mode if you dont floor the accelerator?

21. scottevestceo

scottevestceo Karting

Apr 16, 2023
    Full Name:
    Scott Jordan
    I just tried and it shifts for you. Frankly, I didn't find the acceleration to be that fast?

22. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

What was your procedure exactly?

23. scottevestceo

scottevestceo Karting

Apr 16, 2023
    Full Name:
    Scott Jordan
    I don’t think I did it right; I will retry and report back. I did read the complete manual last night, and apparently, it should work in Comfort mode too, but that doesn’t make sense. I tried it today, but didn’t wait for the 3 beeps, so not sure if it worked. Stay tuned

FrancisK likes this.