2015 California T || Test Drive Event | pix and videos | FerrariChat

2015 California T || Test Drive Event | pix and videos

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by CoopLik, Aug 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoopLik

CoopLik Karting

Jan 10, 2014
    #1 CoopLik, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Event in Australia?

3. CoopLik

CoopLik Karting

Jan 10, 2014
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4y2yGzrd-o]2015 Ferrari California T - YouTube[/ame]

4. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Haha! I see what you did.

Maybe China.

5. CoopLik

CoopLik Karting

Jan 10, 2014
    #5 CoopLik, Aug 8, 2014
  6. CoopLik

CoopLik Karting

Jan 10, 2014
    #6 CoopLik, Aug 8, 2014
  7. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Looking good!

8. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    what do you think about sound?

9. Tstocks

Tstocks Rookie

Mar 7, 2012
    Drove one today, as the owner of a 2013 Cali I suggest they are both fantastic cars. '15 felt tighter steering, a tad faster although both are 'fast enough'. Brief ride and little to no turbo lag. Exhaust is muted as compared to '13 so consider that, very good exhaust sound but just a little more 'tame'. When taken to redline the '13 pops gear to gear, similar to the sound of a gunshot. Couldn't get '15 to make that sound. In the end, still considering placing an order on '15 and swap out my '13 with 2800 miles.

10. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Conclusions :
    - 13 would make a sound like a fire gunshot. 15 would also make a sound of a gunshot, but airsoft gun.
    - Exhaust is muted compared to 13. The 13 California is already not that loud, then being muted = 911 Turbo.
    - Little to no turbo lag = There is a turbo lag.
    - Swap 13 with 15 because 13 has high demand and resale value is good. One thing good about turbo charged Ferrari is that it will make the previous NA models' value become higher.

11. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Agree that the "gunshot" will be missed...I missed it when I got my 458! But I think the somewhat quieter exhaust is going to be well appreciated in daily driving. Opinion of one, but I like that it doesn't call quite so much attention to itself in everyday use...the lower tone (albeit an accident of the turbos) feels like a better fit (to me) in a GT car. I say place that order and you'll be all set for next spring!

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great choice. Now you gotta visit the Ferrari boutique and get yourself a decent pair of shades, driving shoes and a nice Ferrari cap! Enjoy the ride. :D

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The CaliT does not do backfires at all.

Backfires create a lot of carbon exhaust (incomplete combustion) so you can understand it would totally undo the carbon emissions of the CaliT. While no one really cares in N. America, it's a big deal in Europe and elsewhere. I think this is the reason why my FNA co-driver confirmed the turbo cannot (and will not) do backfires (bangs, whuffs and pops) when I could not get my test car to make those noises.

The CaliT is really designed for people new to Ferrari or someone who already has a weekend FCar and needs a more civilized FCar that can also be fast and comfortable with luggage room when you actually want to spend hours or days going from A to B to C…etc.

The resale value thing is not important unless you always have to own a new car or need to protect your equity. IMO, if you prefer to drive cars you like and have room for a second car it makes more sense to keep enjoying the Cali30 and add an F12, 458 or FF in 2-3 years.

14. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I know I will miss my Maserati GT sport, which sounds more amazing than Ferrari. However that if that is the only trade off, I am more than ok :)

15. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Despite everything we say about the "pop" being gone due to emissions and turbo, my 2015 S63 (a turbo) does make a pop (more like a dull/muffled boom) at shift...even more so than my 2011 version of same car. It ain't nearly as much fun as a the old Cali "pop", but it's a more dramatic noise than a Cali T, while being more powerful and fuel efficient too....though the shifts take much longer on a speedshift MCT than on the Ferrari DCT (maybe that helps explain it). I'm thinking there had to be a way to engineer some kind of pop, but who knows...in any event, didn't stop me from signing up.

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You bring up some interesting and useful points for comparison but there's also another angle to the efficiency/noise-making equation - engine capacity.

Ferrari appears to be purposely keeping the engine capacity below 4L in order to avoid the dreaded govt tax levied against vehicles with larger engines. The CaliT's engine is 3.8L vs. the C63 engine which is a whopping 5.46L - making a huge difference in the amount of exhaust volume to play with for sound effects. I imagine the AMG's turbos are also bigger.

BTW, there is also some credence to the rumour about the 458 replacement having a 3.9L engine, which might as earlier suggested, make it a "398T".

17. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    True...much more volume/size.

18. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    My guess would be a 458T

19. Lonnie

Lonnie Formula Junior

May 22, 2013
    NY/Delray Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Mandel
    Drove one on Friday. My thoughts are much better than previous Cali as a past owner. Exhaust sound not as good, however much better handling and performance. I think this car bridges the gap between the old Cali and a 458. I would say good work Ferrari. Just my opinion

20. Mrross27

Mrross27 Karting

Apr 21, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ross
    As a past owner, had you still been driving the California today, would you upgrade to the T?

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The Cali is great looking.

22. Lonnie

Lonnie Formula Junior

May 22, 2013
    NY/Delray Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Mandel
  23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Simply one of the best-looking Cali yet. Thanks for posting the photos.