California reliability | FerrariChat

California reliability

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by secondsole, Aug 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am hoping to get an early California, 2009-2011...pricing is getting very attractive on 2009's, can anyone help with insight on reliability through the yeas? Maintenance?

2. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Tranny is the main achilles heel on early cars (and it happened to ALL early DCT cars, not just Ferrari). If you could swing a late-production '10 you'd be much safer. Other than that, just minor crap IMO, but let others with much higher mileage chime in :).

3. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I had an early 2010 delivered in late 2009 that in 1.5 years I put almost 29,000 miles on. No DTC problems and it was a DAILY driver! It had a wiring problem with airbags that many had. If you pull up all of my posts from 2009-2011 you can see an entire history. The wiring was no big deal. It had one top hall effect sensor failure but the top still worked enough to get it closed :). It made a noise under the car when it was very cold (drove it all winter :D) that was fixed with software, lowering hydraulic pressure in the transmission as it was the lines to the transmission cooler that vibrated when cold. Later cars have the transmission cooler in the rear of the car. PZeros only lasted 7,000 miles on the rears ... but I suspect that was MY fault as the Cali is just too much fun to NOT drive hard :). You'd have to look at the rest of my posts to see if there was anything else.

All of those problems would already be fixed through warranty of the previous owner. Oil changes were $700. I think I had three while I owned it.

Depending on miles you will be faced with additional service costs. I will have to look at my Cali manuals when I get home tonight to see what the recommended intervals for everything are.

Rick

4. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    #4 Balsamina, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017