Adding transmission cooler to 2010 California? Transmission longevity? | FerrariChat

Adding transmission cooler to 2010 California? Transmission longevity?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by av35, Aug 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. av35

av35 Rookie

Oct 7, 2004
    Not sure how this would impact transmission longevity, but apparently Ferrari added a transmission cooler to late model builds. Any thoughts on adding a transmission cooler to my 2010 California?

Looking for any input on this.

Thanks

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I thought it was they moved the cooler in later models, rather than added one.

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That's what I understood, too. The old location was sending noise into the passenger cell. If you change your fluid annually (like most people do), it probably doesn't matter anyway.

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    458 has two heat exchanger/cooling radiators compared to the Cali single system.

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Which fluid are you referring to?

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I was referring to transmission fluid but just realized I was thinking more of my 360. I'm not sure about the Cali.

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I had a 2010 Cali, the transmission cooler was in the front. My 2012 Cali has the transmission cooler in the rear. The 2010 made a LOUD buzzing noise under the floor when it was very cold outside, like below 20 degrees, maybe colder as I forget. It would go away once things heated up. The fix from Ferrari was to lower the transmission hydraulic pressure when things were cold through software, eliminating the noise but making shifts very slow when things were cold. And when driving 60 mph or so for 10 miles or so when it was below 15 degrees F the temp sensor would cool down to the point where hydraulic pressure was lowered again.

Now, that all ONLY matters to those of us that live in the north where we get snow and cold and are nutty enough to drive our Ferraris in the winter like I do :D.

Your early Cali will already have a cooler, just up front.

Rick

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Interesting discussion... I looked up the oil cooler/radiator and oil heat exchanger to get a better understanding of the setups. I believe this is the older setup with both items in front.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And I believe this shows the new heat exchanger and its location behind the transmission housing. Presumably, this would keep the noise away from the passenger compartment and allow the transmission oil to warm up quicker in Winter. I imagine the shorter travel distance for the transmission oil (to the heat exchanger) would also be advantageous in some ways.

Image Unavailable, Please Login