Cali vs 911 TurboS Cab | FerrariChat

Cali vs 911 TurboS Cab

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by secondsole, Aug 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm torn...it's performance vs looks. Anyone have or had both? What do you think?

2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I went with Cali T... I wasn't impressed with the 911's interior and found the Cali to be more comfortable, liked the retractable hardtop, steering wheel, CarPlay, and overall interior better. Both cars performed more than adequately for my needs.

3. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Porsche 911 has a serious problem with the look. It looks like VW Bettle with racing kits. And the cabriolet version even looks worse from the rear.

4. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Having had a 911 F77, Fully Trciked and go to a Maserati, which is NOT a Ferrari but better than most. I went because Porsche is "so what" and Maserati and more so Ferrari are legends.

5. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Earlier today I did the Porsche experience at Silverstone...drove a GT2 and GT3...both from last year. What was interesting is my instructor told me (as I was pushing hard and struggling to barely gain on a Turbo) that the new Turbo will get around a track considerably faster than the previous model GT's when in the right hands. I can tell you that thing can get out of a corner and will forgive a bunch of apex errors. Having said that, I'm sticking with my Cali T order...it's just more fun for the street (at least for me).

6. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Went from a '11 911 Turbo Cab (non S) to the Cali. I always felt that the front end of the 911 felt too light, especially at higher speed. Also, the exhaust sound was just blah (for lack of a better word). The "whoooshing" sound was great when the turbos really spooled up, but the regular exhaust note just wasn't for me.

Scraping the front end of the 911 turbo was a daily issue. With the Cali, it has never been a problem. Both the turbo and the Cali were/are daily drivers.

While the Cali may not be faster, I prefer it over the 911 Turbo.

7. secondsole

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The Cali I am looking at is a non-turbo, not a 2015...is there a way to make them faster?

8. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    The new turbo S is Veyron quick. If you want a fast ferrari get a 458.

9. secondsole

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    458 is the ultimate goal, couple years they will be $180. Some are for sale for $200 now.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Agree. 911 Cab has to be one of the ugliest sports cars on the planet.

Both have back seats which I do not like.
    Cali sounds much better and looks much better.
    Cali has the hard top which is a winner for me. Soft tops are not ideal for winter driving or for vandalism security.

Alternative would be to get a new 911 Targa. A hard top. but only 450 na hp. but you can get a 4wd and a manual transmission. It too has a back seat. There seems to be a long wait as it is the newest 911 out there. Looks better than 911 cab but not as good as a Cali.

(As we already have two convertibles, I decided to get an Audi RS5 coupe with 450 hp na V8 but only comes with a DCT. This will be my winter daily driver. Due in Dec 2014. You can get an RS5 cab as analternative. Please note the 911 Targa S costs double what the RS5 does and dealers can give me NO idea about possible delivery.)

Best

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have a 2013 california 30 and just bought a 911 carrera S (2010) .. THey are both very nice the cali has a much better fit and finish in the interior and sure sounds a lot better .. so to compare the turbo S with a cali is not really an even match the turbo S is much faster but the cali has much more sole ... so if you are comparing a 911 turbo s to a ferrari it would have to be a 458 in which case I ll take the 458 anyday....
    So in answer to your question it is up to you and what you like better for me it would be the california obviously..
    Best of luck neither is a bad car..
    LarryH

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd take a new TTS Cab over any California. The old California may sound better, but neither the old or new are any match in terms of performance and I personally think the California looks too fat suit.

13. dxbferrari

dxbferrari Rookie

Jul 23, 2013
    #13 dxbferrari, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    I've come from a 997.2 Turbo, and have had Turbo's (in almost all variants) for over a decade.
    They are great bulletproof daily drivers. For everyday drivability, that kind of performance, and excellent fit and finish, nothing comes close (I would never put the GTR in the same category). However, for better words, there is no emotion while driving the car. It gets everything right, every time around, without any hesitation (I hope I am making sense here). Its predictable.
    However, my Cali 30 has soul. Every time I drive the car, its an occasion. The sound, the power band delivery, everything has that little something special. Maybe I am just mesmerized, but it is true.

I have been looking at the 991 Turbo S's lately, and I haven't driven one as yet. I've read reviews that it is an absolute beast. But I think I may just continue my affair with the prancing horse for a little longer. I am enjoying it!

14. nfg2507

nfg2507 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I was just about to write something similar. I have driven the Cali and the 991 Turbo S and can say that the Turbo S is "too" perfect. Yes, it is a very good car, but it is so boring. It is like sitting there and having the car on auto-pilot. The Cali is much more engaging to drive.

15. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Try the Cali. It is not your forever car. Not the performance beast, but respectable. It is fun and more comfortable. It also garners more attention so you can gauge how you like that. I don't get all the hate about the looks of the turbo s- personally I think it is fine. Not beautiful, but not hideous. I love the 911 range and may get another someday but for now I'm really enjoying my Cali!

John

16. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #16 Ferrarista3, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    I think that people either "get" 911s or they don't.
    IMO there is nothing quite like a 911 Turbo for those that appreciate what it is.
    After getting a 599 in 2009 (and loving it for over 70K km) I ended up missing a 911 and getting another one. As a "do it all" sports car there is nothing quite like it (IMO).

It depends, however, on what you want, what you value and how you plan to use the car.

From my experience a Ferrari has an instant "wow" factor that 911 Turbo simply does not have (beyond the sheer speed). However, a 911 Turbo is a car you grow to appreciate over the time.

A Ferrari offers certain things a 911 Turbo cannot and, IMO, the reverse is also true. It's ultimately a very subjective decision. In fact, I think that 911s and Ferraris complement each-other very well.

P.S. For what it's worth, I think the 991 Turbo looks as good as any modern day Ferrari. Just different. Aesthetics are subjective.

17. secondsole

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I should be more specific w details and that's my fault: I have a 355 red/tan spider, and it's perfect, all sorted out. I am keeping it. The only thing it 'lacks' is speed. I am dead set on a convertible, so that's why I thought of the California. There is no doubt, a Ferrari is a work of art, and a Porsche won't compare in regard to looks, BUT the performance of a TurboS is Veyron quick - THAT is what I am missing, the need for speed, so I'm going all in , TurboS!

I like the idea of the TurboS bc my employees et al, will not know it's a $200k car (sticker on the one I like $208)a, Porsche's are everywhere. So, I COULD drive this to work ( and have in the past ) and it's all good.

I have convinced myself the TurboS is the move, THEN I look at pics of the California, and ugh, so beautiful. Here is the TurboS, and the Cali.....click the link and thanks guys for the input.

2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet Cream White | Columbus, Ohio | Byers Imports

Used 2009 Ferrari California for sale in MIAMI, FL | Kessler Auto Group, Inc

18. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    That Ferrari in classic red is awful sharp...I can feel your dilemma. If you really need a rush for speed, I do think TurboS is right for you. But if it were me, I would be all over a red Ferrari for what it represents.

Good luck in your choice...the bright side is it is a win-win

19. Lfpontes

Lfpontes Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    São Paulo
    Full Name:
    Luiz.
    If you have filled the prancing horse+noise+specialness feeling with the 355, and you're in need of adrenaline, grab the turbo S, swap the exhaust for a loud one, and be happy.
    You'll have the best of both worlds with the T.S and 355.

The Cali is a underperforming car in my opinion, drove one a few times, and it is indeed disapointing for those in pursuit of sheer speed.

20. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    I have a 2011 Cali and a 2012 911 Turbo S Cab. I adore the Cali for its style, ride and exotic-ness. The 911 is a car I have detested from day one, and I have had 911s I've liked. The Turbo S was let out of the oven before it was fully cooked. The Cali is harmonious, whereas I cannot find pleasure in the way Porsche mated the PDK and chassis tuning in the 911. It just plain doesn't work. Fast as can be, but not well-sorted. The PDK works in the Panamera, but not in the 911 Turbo S. Shifts are unduly harsh and first gear can be very choppy. The paddles are mush, and unresponsive compared to the precision of the Cali. Their feel is sloppy. Downshifts result in much less slowing than you'd expect, I assume somehow as a result of the turbo configuration. It takes the pleasure out of smooth, fast driving. As for the comment about swapping the exhaust, easier said than done. The stock exhaust sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Now, having had AWE tune it, it sounds like a louder vacuum cleaner. Tone and loudness are not to be confused. I've never heard a good sounding Turbo S, and the occasional drone around 2,000-3,000 rpm will rattle your fillings loose.

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The downshifts likely don't slow the car down as much because the compression is likely less to avoid detonation with the boost pressure, and the car may be geared taller to take better advantage of the higher torque of the turbo engine.

As for sound, that's quite a description you gave it!

22. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    The Porsche is a superior daily driver in terms of sheer reliability but also just isn't as special. The Porsche comes into it's own at high speed on curvy roads. The engineering is just marvelous. That being said it does not feel 'special'. The car feels normal if not mundane. The Ferrari feels special at 20mph or 90mph. It is a far more sumptuous interior and NOTHING beats the soundtrack out of the Pipes. It's a very special car. It is NOT as reliable and has its quirks. The things that pop up are not critical to the car's operation but are annoying. Ie) the headlights are just not bright enough, the roof mechanism is very fickle and sensitive, the same for the tire pressure system. All that being said they are small things and don't detract from the overall experience. I have little regret it my trade but probably should have kept my Porsche and just gotten the ferrari to go along with it! Can't have everything.... Hope this helps

23. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    I have a 997.2 Turbo Cab and absolutely love it. It's exactly as mentioned above... perfect car that just "works." It's also quick. But it lacks something. Someone mentioned above "soul."

I was in the local Ferrari dealership today looking at a California. I might make the jump as it has a bit more "soul" IMHO

24. jmmitias

jmmitias Rookie

Feb 12, 2004
    we have heard and read the wife/mistress analogy with porsche/ferrari comparisons. As a lover of both cars that is very true. If it has to work, get the Porsche. If it has to impress, get the Ferrari.

Porsches are the best sports cars and Ferraris are the sexiest. Porsche really has no substitute when all things are taken into account: performance, reliability, longevity, servicibility, etc. You can sell a high mileage Porsche with no real trouble.

But . . . the sound and experience of the Ferrari (esp the 458 and F12) just make you forget all that logical nonsense.

25. If we're talking 997 (.1 or .2) 911 TTS, then the T is a better car. But it's also easily 100k more than the 997 TTS.

If we're talking 991 911 TTS, then if you want a pure driver's car, don't buy the T.