My review of the California T | FerrariChat

My review of the California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by dxbferrari, Aug 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dxbferrari

dxbferrari Rookie

Jul 23, 2013
    #1 dxbferrari, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    I had the chance to drive the Cali T the other day for a good few hours.

I was really excited to see what the T has to offer, and I am happy to report that the car is very soothing to the eyes. Much better in real life. It is much more refined when compared to my Cali 30. The lines are sharper, less curvy, and more sporty. The rear is a huge improvement, and the rear diffuser looks (and im sure it works) great. I wonder if the diffuser is available in carbon.

The interior is a huge step up from the Cali 30. The layout is somewhat the same, but Ferrari got it right this time. The resolution on the display (instrument cluster) is sharper, the VDA, etc info is good to have. Everything is much better made. The sound system (although it was just the standard) is light years ahead of the pathetic standard system in my car. I was very impressed. The JBL upgrade sounds much better, I was told. The view package (front and rear cameras) work as advertised. Would not purchase a car without it.

The drive is fantastic. There is no turbo lag...good job Ferrari. The power delivery is instantaneous and does not disappoint in any gear. It really moves.....FAST! Gearshifts are much better mapped than the 30.
    The T was equipped with the Magneride option, it really makes a difference. It is a definite must have in any Ferrari. I wish I had it in my Cali 30. There is hardly any noticeable roll, the bumpy road option was really useful on some uneven roads.
    The steering is more direct, and heavier. The buttons on the steering will take some getting used to, but i think this should be adapted within a day or two of continuous driving. Back seats are the same, good enough to fit the kids.
    The red Ferrari engine cover (on the actual engine) is really miniscule and looks puny. I did not spend more than 10 seconds looking at it, but i should have taken a picture to show what I was talking about. You do hear the turbos spool up during parts of acceleration.

So everything is great about the car. It is absolutely better in every way. A definite upgrade, but.............................................there is the sound. This is the only disappointment of the car.
    Maybe some of you may not agree with me (who have driven it), but the sound is awful! it sounds like any other V8/V6 (albeit louder). Gone are the backfires, pops, crackles, or any other fun and nasty sounds the NA engines make. The sound is really timid. It is like Ferrari deliberately toned the sound down? As you all know, redline is down too.
    What I don't get (and maybe someone can explain this to me), but the 12C is a Turbo car too, and it sounds heaps better than the T. What's going on here?
    I was looking forward to some top down time where I could enjoy the symphony of the Ferrari engine and exhaust . Lets just say the top was down for merely 5 minutes at best.
    When I turn on my Cali 30 every day, I get a nice throaty, pissed off roar of a greeting from the car. With the T, its just "umph". I don't know how reviewers are commending about the sound of the T. Maybe I am spoiled by enjoying the sound of the Cali 30 everyday and have some direct long term comparison.
    When I drive the Cali 30, and I have my top down and I purposely down shift at around 4k revs just to hear the pops and crackles when coming to a stop. Ohhhh...it is so satisfying.
    I tried to replicate that in the T, and not once did it come close to the 30. I had it in Sport all the time, had it in manual, tried everything, but nothing to replicate the raw sound of the 30. Raw...yes that's the exact word that comes to my mind when I compare the 30 to the T in terms of sound. That's the only aspect where I was disappointed.

With that being said, I think this is the direction we are moving towards, in terms of automotive technology, sound, etc. I guess there is always a tradeoff. I just wish they made the T sound better. I'm guessing they are saving it for the 458T. I'm sure they are. There is no way the 458T could sound more docile than the 458. Only time will tell.

So there you have it. That's my review. Will I upgrade to a Cali T? Surprisingly, I had to really think hard about this one, but yes i would upgrade. But only because it is a better car overall, but boy oh boy, will i miss the sound of the 30. I guess I will get used to it. But for now I got my NA V8, and am enjoying every bit of it.

Here are a few photos i took of the T and my 30 side by side.

[​IMG]

** by the way, how do i get the pictures to display, rather than a link to the picture?

2. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    U sure u cant upload smaller images ? My screen cannot contain them

3. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thanks for the review. It seems to be in line with what others have said. I'm sure the 458T will sound "worse" than the current 458 too, sadly. Oh well.

4. Andrew 912

Andrew 912 Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    USA
    Full Name:
    AES
    Thank you for Nice and honest review… I can relate word per word of what you meant, I think this is regeneration of automotive industry that we have to live with it in the future. The next generation will get use to this and they probably even think that backfires, pops, and crackles are something wrong with the car and not cool at all…… who knows…..

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    As someone who also drives a Cali30 (with Magneride) I had very similar experiences test driving the CaliT a month ago but did not feel the new car handled any differently on the public roads where I tested it. The Magneride setting in my car does firm up everything in SPORT mode. However I am pretty sure the new car will deliver much better performance on the track.

Aside from sound, I think mention should be made of the general difference in feel of the car. It is not just sound. Relatively-speaking, the Cali30 feels like a race-prepped car compared to the CaliT because it idles nervously, feels raw compared to it and feels far less insulated from noise and vibration. It just feels ready to spool up whereas the new car is sedate and goes about going fast with minimal engine revs as if you are pouring water from a jug, a bit too easy in response, more like a Porsche I imagine. With the older car you work the engine revs (6-8,000 rpm) utilizing the torque curve in the classic fashion and with that you get the howl from the engine, massive torque tugging the steering wheel and the exhaust noise. It is a different driving experience to the new car's. Some backfires from a Cali30 can feel as if they lift the entire back end of the car.

Personally-speaking, should I feel the itch for a different toy I would probably add a car, like a 599 HGTE or GTO, 458 Italia or an F12 as they would do much more for my enjoyment than swapping my Cali30. The Cali is a very practical car so I prefer to keep mine as long as I can. Since I can make room for an extra car, trading my Cali30 would not be as practical. Why accept depreciation when I can have 2 cars that are not compromises on my preferences instead of just 1 car which would be a compromise?

I really think the CaliT is marketed more towards people new to the marque as well as people who need an extra FCar that is easier to use as a DD. For those drivers, the CaliT would not represent a compromise.

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yesterday I talked to someone else that has driven the T with the same opinion, the sound just doesn't say Ferrari. My dealer will have a T event later this year and I will attend and drive. The good news is I can forget upgrading my 2012 Cali to a T and focus on an FF upgrade or adding an F12 when business supports it.

Rick

7. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Looks like the NA V12s will be getting yet more popular.

8. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    I haven't seen anybody saying that Cali T sounds good, or at least not bad. Same like I haven't seen any successor from NA to Turbo produces better or equal sound. Like Pagani Zonda to Huayra, BMW M5 NA to Turbo, Cali to Cali T, and worst of all : 2013's F1 to 2014's F1.
    How come Ferrari is playing deaf to this?

9. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    I am curious if anyone with a Cali 30 HS package has driven a T and has impressions on the differences. My suspicion is that the handling is probably similar.

10. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    Can't do it without the soundtrack....I will keep mine.

11. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    I hope that Ferrari Will make very soon a sport exhaust for tris cali ... Mine T is close on garage ... Very nice but without soundtrack si not a Ferrari.......

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I am sure the older Ferraris may sound better than what is new and what is coming out, however, those of us who have driven vintage cars, i.e old Vettes, Camaros, Fire Birds etc. , although they sound much better than the new ones, even look cooler, they drive like crap. although the newer Calis 2012, 2013, and 14 drive great, this Cali T, will drive better, and be better appointed. Given this is my first Ferrari and do not have a 13 to hang onto, I am most excited to join the ranks. I will be giving up my Maserati GTC sport knowing that the car will not sound as sexy, but will out drive her in every way. To say without Sound Track it is not a Ferrari is silly, we must embrace change, I am sure the older owners fought the F1 transmission, and other changes made over the years. I will have one of the first in the country and will i am sure Love her and Cherish her for years to come.

13. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    What will we all do when cars are pure electric? Play vintage Ferrari sounds through the stereo ala BMW in the M5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    mitch: that is well put!

15. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Old cars sound louder, not better, because basically those are straight pipes. Last time they didn't have cat or muffler. There are 2 things about sound :
    1. Loudness : This is the second important. Lawnmowers are loud, but no quality.
    2. Quality : This is the most important. The best quality is F1 cars (not 2014). With turbocharged, it is impossible to have that screaming sound because the vacuum cleaner starts to work at higher rpm.
    And if they make something drives better than Speciale, you won't notice it with average skill. Only Lewis Hamilton can feel the gap if he drives the car on track.

16. CT Audi Fan

Oct 23, 2011
    But this is also subjective. To many, the sound will be perfect in both volume and quality. Perhaps the audience for a fast and comfortable GT convertible isn't so concerned with a "screaming" motor. Perhaps the car will entice some of the AMG crowd or 911 turbo cabs, so the turbo noise isnt an issue. After all, many folks here were up in arms over the original Cali saying it was too soft and not a "real" F-car, yet it is the company's best selling model and no doubt that will continue. Soon we will have sales figures and will know for sure but I'm willing to bet they will sell with no problem.

17. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013

18. CT Audi Fan

Oct 23, 2011
    But how many California owners would want that? Perhaps for the 458 replacement but for this car? Honestly, I wouldn't want my GT car to sound that way. My 458 Spider yes ... California no.

19. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Fortunately all electric will not happen in my lifetime. I just found out about Audi and Beemer making fake engine sounds in their audio systems a couple days ago. That is a hippie's way to save the earth. Vrrrruummm ... got you all excited didn't it :) How stupid. Pure electric today actually means "Powered by coal" in most areas. Sure saves the earth doesn't it.

Back to the subject I guess, glad I drove my Cali to the office today, I will gladly head to lunch and listen to it bark and pop through the little town I live in, thanking all of the Prius owners for saving the gas that I'll blow out my tailpipe.

Rick

20. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    As long as it sounds better than a 911 turbos it is probably fine... The Astons sound way better anyway...

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    CT, I think it might be OK or even expected for an ordinary GT to sound quiet but this is a Ferrari so it is important to retain a connection to signature features of the marque and deliver an exciting car. Otherwise, why would one buy a Ferrari? For instance, the current non-turbo Maserati GranTurismo is emphatically a GT and sounds wonderful… very much like a Maserati.

There is a place in the Ferrari lineup for a small FCar that is a GT, hardtop convertible, a DD that is also a loud sportscar. This is the car Ferrari wants to offer and with the engine restrictions imposed by CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) regulations, it has to go to turbos in order to offer ever-more-powerful cars while reducing engine capacity. It could have given us bigger NA V8s but they would have made the cars unsellable in countries that enforce CAFE restrictions. The CaliT is Ferrari's first attempt to make such cars compelling for the Ferraristi and it's a very good one. They'll get better and the 458 replacement will benefit from continuing developments.

The California model continues to offer a compelling dual personality which at the moment leans more towards the DD aspect of driving vs. the F1-noise/feel of traditional FCars. For folks who want to reintroduce more of the latter to their CaliT we'll have to see what the aftermarket folks can do with their magic.

22. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well, the F12 is not a GT; rather a front-mid engine supercar that can also cover great distance.

24. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    It sounds to me (pun somewhat intentional) that Ferrari is building a better MBZ SL. Sigh. The cars are getting relatively cushier, more isolated, and quieter. Progress? For some I suppose. Not for me. All my attention is now firmly focused on older cars...Scud/16M and backwards to 550 and even 308/328...I'm simply not a fan of turbo motors and don't want to own any. So, good news is most Ferrari owners (with the notable exception of Rick!) don't drive their cars, so there are lots of pampered low mile used ones out there.

25. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    time marches on. lets get with the program. progress is here. i don't miss the stick shift either