Cali turn signal LED | FerrariChat

Cali turn signal LED

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RickLederman, Aug 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    #1 RickLederman, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    See the photos below, one of my yellow turn signal LEDs has fallen out. First photo, second row from the left, second LED from bottom is the empty hole. The second photo shows it laying under the headlight. All still functions well, less one LED :). My dealer says this is not uncommon. We will see how long it takes to get a new assembly from the factory. It is under warranty. Photos are not perfect, stupid iPhone.

Rick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Looks like your car needs a little bath :)

3. AZCALI

AZCALI Rookie

Aug 9, 2013
    Have been following this forum for some time, but first post. I have picked up a lot of useful info . . . thanks. When my "light bulb" popped out on my Cali '10 six months ago I thought I was seeing things. (By the way, mine was driver side headlamp, second row, inner LED closest to engine.) Called my local dealer and was replaced within days. I too had a (extended) warranty and thank goodness I did. Cost for new headlamp and labor about $3500. One word of advice. When they order the new headlamp, make sure they know if yours "tracks" or not. You want to make sure they order and install the Correct headlamp.
    How many Ferrari mechanics does it take to change a light bulb?

4. 360CSS

360CSS Karting

Nov 10, 2004
    Rome-Constantinople
    Full Name:
    Caesar
    Wow, I have the same thing on my 2010 Cali on the turn signal as well. Mine is one the right side. I noticed it the other day. Did your dealer say often it happens? What year is your California?

5. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    is there anything NOT UNCOMMON ?

6. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    I had the same thing happen on my 2009. Driver side, second row from the bottom, middle light. Out of warranty but FNA agreed to give a new cluster for 1/2 the price. About $2k including installation. Really annoying to have to replace an otherwise perfect headlight for something so stupid!

7. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    I read about this problem in the past.
    Does this also happen to the Cali 30?

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I haven't come across it in the Cali30 yet. However, with low production volume for the Calis, this component is unlikely to get a redesign fix unless it is very simple to execute. The LEDs are very small so they probably don't have a lot of surface area with which to fasten themselves to the power sockets in the lamp.

It's possibly a design shortcoming or some issue with how the units are assembled. They probably didn't test the design or the assembly procedures sufficiently. I imagine it can happen all the same with the Cali30. The older cars have higher mileage and perhaps we'll see the same issues with the Cali30 as they accumulate mileage. I'm glad to know they are covered under warranty.

It's really unfortunate that many modern automobile light assemblies appear to be completely sealed nowadays. $2000-$3000 for a single non-repairable light fixture seems very wasteful to me.

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Thanks for the bath suggestion but I actually drive my Ferraris (Every Day) and when you drive them they can get some dirt on them ... and along with a little dirt you get a bunch of adrenalin pumping :D. I probably wash whatever I drive after three or four days of driving.

Rick

10. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    And after reading the additional posts, my dealer didn't specify but knew the problem exists and must have seen it a few times. I reminded him that I have the steerable headlights. I think that if it happens out of warranty I may sit on it until time to sell, then buy the replacement. No sense replacing them a bunch of times if there is potential to sell the car.

This is an early 2012, delivered early December 2011 with 22,000+ miles of FUN.

Rick

11. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    @Rick: 2012 means, your Cali is a Cali 30?
    Sorry, I am not familiar with the US-delivery dates.

12. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Filth means you are enjoying her fully ... So refreshing to hear. Send us some pics of the FF In January or so, covered in mud and salt. Happiest owner on F Chat! Kudos Mr. Lederman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Here's a link to my FF on the way to the R/C flying field January 1, 2014. Fresh 5" or so of snow. After the stop sign you will see no tracks in the snow ... until the FF :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7prO-hg3zw

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    No, mine is an original California. I had a 2010 also which I sold after putting about 29,000 miles on her in 1.5 years. I'm not sure when the 30 came to the USA.

Rick

15. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Ha! I'm thinking the Post Office should hire you to deliver the mail!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I don't think even the Rossa Politics section would allow me to answer that the way I want :D, but thanks for the compliment. That drive was fun, most worried about potholes in the 35 mile drive to the flying field.

Before I got the FF I also drove the California in similar conditions, just no video. The Cali is great in snow and ice ONLY if you have SottoZero's.

Rick

17. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
  18. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    I have the same issue on my 09, posted last year... Three LED lights popped out on the right headlight. Not worth fixing... Out of warranty, Ferrari refused to help in any way...

19. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    Try to get the dealer to push FNA on your behalf. They paid for half of mine. They know it's an issue and hopefully will take care of you since it's clearly a manufacturing flaw...

20. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Notice he has the manettino switch in the Sport position. I can't tell if he has ESC off. He is a professional driver obviously and that video is very cool ... however he has one more advantage ... it is NOT HIS FERRARI :). I've driven mine in similar conditions but not nearly as hard as I want to drive it the next day too and I'm not a professional driver, just a wannabee. I will try mine in Sport this winter though! Snow mode makes the horsepower back WAY down with much of any wheel slippage and is no fun at all.

21. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
  22. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
  23. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
  24. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Oh wow. That's really stupid ;)

25. Bobrob5

Bobrob5 Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bob Roberts

Call Mike Herring at (727) 637-6453. He takes the California's headlight apart and fixed the LED jewels that fall out. Very resonable price - a lot cheaper than a new or used headlight unit. He did my right side headligt and it's 100% now.