California dreaming....leasing questions | FerrariChat

California dreaming....leasing questions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by GFD, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Hello All,

I am new to this forum, and I am exploring getting my first Ferrari. I am happy to see that most of you on this forum seem to love your Ferraris.

I use my car for business, and I always lease. I have other vehicles for personal use.
    I currently have a 2012 Maserati GTC sport, and want to go to the California next.

I drove the 2013 California 30 as well as the Demo California T yesterday.
    I was blown away, and I am in love with those cars.
    I loved the sound of the 30 more than the T.

I have some Ferrari leasing questions.
    The dealer suggested an open ended lease for 60 months, 5K miles/year, but suggested that I plan to turn it in around 24 months and consign it, and drive off with a new lease at that point. And repeat every 2 years, as I move up the model lineup, if I so desire. Consigning would cost me a commission of 6%. He suggested that these cars hold their value well, and sell typically within a couple of months.

My questions:
    1. Is this a typical lease that is being done by Ferrari? Is this the typical scenario that plays out or am I missing something?

2. Do those of you that lease for business, do you turn the cars in that early?

3. How arduous is the consigning process, and how long does it actually take to sell your car, assuming it is priced well. Anything I should be cautious about?

4. Does anyone have positive or negative experience with PFS exotic leasing and other such companies?

Thanks in advance!
    GFD

2. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    what the dealer suggests, u do the opposite

3. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    totally agree, you will get hammered in a lease. Buy the car, own it, and drive it the way you wish not a mere 5k per year. I have also a GTC Sport will i will trade on my new Cali .

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    to many factors and i would consider the actual cost differential between owning and leasing to be a rounding error....

1) how does your state tax leases, car ownership, plates and trade ins ?

2) do you have more productive uses for your cash ?

with an open end lease, you are responsible for the residual amount so i would worry so much about whether you structure it a 5,8,10k mile per year....

5. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    wait wait wait, buying the car is NOT an option cause the depreciation is MASSIVE from new.

"These cars hold their value well" lol yeah

I mean he should do the 24 months lease and then give the car in and get the new one continuing the lease, like he suggests.

If he can afford it, why not. but NEVER new.

6. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    between depreciation on a purchase, and the cap cost probably about the same, maybe a purchase edges out because you can always move out of the car, no car holds the value, so either lease or buy

7. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    He might lease a used one

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #8 Nospinzone, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    Check with your accountant. Only a small portion of your "luxury car" depreciation will be deductible. That's only about two months worth of payments. :D

As for holding their value well, check the used car prices versus new and make your own assessment.

9. moldynotepad

moldynotepad Rookie

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I plan to purchase my next car used but currently my lease is capitalized as an equipment rental.

10. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Thanks for the responses. I appreciate your input.
    The California is #3 in resale value on a number of lists online.
    Also, the high demand and limited supply has to help the resale value.
    However, it will take a lot of self control not to drive this car much more than the 5K/year, which will affect resale value adversely

11. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The turbo is the latest greatest. I am new to my 30 and like it far more than I thought I would. Just drove it eight hours today. It's hard to pull the trigger on an F12 when the Cali does so much well. The sound on the Cali 30 is not fab, the turbo even less so. Turbo is crazy faster with a much longer high gear for better mileage. It's styling cues are almost all an improvement. I like the controls on the wheel versus the stick, like the unstacked pipes, love the change in the bridge, probably prefer the older hood.

Timing is an issue for the turbo as you may wait awhile. The louder 30 is a great car. Much more than I thought it would be. Personally, I like the turbo but probably wouldn't pay for the upgrade today. Buying today, I would more than likely wait and get the newest thing.

Lease/purchase is all math and taxes. Cash is king. Cash flow is even better. Do the math.

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Maybe it's different with Ferrari dealers,but dealers will give a better deal if you finance rather than pay cash. The dealer makes a commission on the loan. As long as you get a loan with no pre-payment penalty, get the better sales price, finance the car and pay off the loan after the first payment. Of course this will only work with pre owned Ferraris.

13. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    #13 GFD, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    OK let me ask another question - for those who have sold their Ferraris - does it take a long time to sell them? If demand is high, I would imagine they would sell quickly....

14. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Selling a Ferrari, unless it's a limited series OR almost new (which means used but with very little km and a good price) takes a LONG time.

If u buy a used FF let's say at 250, don't espect to sell it at more than 200 later after 1 or 180 after 2 years. Especially if u load it with km.

15. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Modern Ferrari's, with very few exceptions, depreciate. In dollar terms a lot. In percentage terms, not as bad as many cars. Maser's are worse for example, which you must know.

Check cars.com or whatever to get a sense of what cali's asking prices are at age 2-3. Most would have stickered for $225-$260.

Can we ask what business you use your sportscar for?

16. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    #16 GFD, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    Thank you for your input. To answer the question I have my own business and it involves quite a bit of driving. Do I need a sports car for the drive? No. But I want it ;-) and it also leaves a good impression on prospective clients.

Cars.com shows several 2012 cars with less than 10k miles, (the typical lease return mileage at 2 years) . I found several at 190+
    I also found several 2011 cars with less than 5K miles at that price point.
    2011 cars with 10-15K miles were around 160+ (typical lease return at 3 years)
    Asking prices seem surprisingly high, or I am missing something here. I suppose that's a good sign for resale if these prices are realistic for a car that starts out around 260.
    Most of listed cars were at non FM dealers if that's relevant.

17. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    well in the USA u keep prices higher than in Europe thanks to limited supplies, but who knows if u will sell it at a equally reasonable price when ur time comes.

The California T is hitting the market, ur model will be quite old when u resell it.

Then again why are u worried about resale if u're talking about a lease and return ?

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's an open end lease.

19. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Buy the Car, you are trapped in a lease

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh I absolutely agree, I would never lease a car. I was was just telling Marmist why the OP had to be concerned about the value of the car at the end of the lease.

21. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Sorry, with all the back and forth i thought you were the OP, LOL

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #22 Need4Spd, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    It's all about math, but one thing to consider is that sales tax is less on a lease. In fact, I think that's part of the reason they are suggesting a 60 month lease but turning car in after 24 or so. The sales tax may be 24/60 (40%) over that period instead of 24/24 (100%) if you had a 24 mo. lease. If you buy, you pay 100% of sales tax before you drive away. This may not matter much in states with low or no sales tax, but with a rate close to 10% in California, that's real money.

23. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Yes, but sales tax is deductable on your taxes. You will pay up with a high deposit to return a car in 2 years. Could be a 30% depreciation.

24. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

That's not how sales tax works on leases....it's simply the entire payment times the sales tax rate each month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Not if you live in California? I believe sales tax is only deductible if you live in a zero income tax state for individuals?

That said, he is talking about making this a business use car. Thus the entire lease payment including associated taxes is deductible (I believe but haven't looked in a long time that there are limitations on size of deduction in order to keep people from deducting luxury cars - I know there are for purchased cars and can't recall for leased cars?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk