Daily Driver | FerrariChat

Daily Driver

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ipsedixit, Aug 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Does anyone here use their California as a daily driver (say around 10-12k miles/year)?

Or plan to use their California T as a daily driver?

I ask because I am seriously considering the new T, but will only do it as a daily driver, and am a bit concerned about its reliability.

Any thoughts or recommendations much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I also am thinking of using my Cali T as a daily driver. I do not have a issue with reliablity as i think it will be fine. I plan on 12k-15k per year

3. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I bought a 2010 Cali, delivered in Dec 2009, and put over 29,000 miles on her in 1.5 years or so. Then I sold her and bought a 2012 which now has roughly 23,000 miles. They are perfect daily drivers, even in the winter (with SottoZero tires!). I now also have a 2012 FF and the only difficulty is which Ferrari do I pick when leaving the house in the morning :D!

You have to not mind the attention that they draw. My big fat ego loves it. You also must enjoy the adrenalin rush every time you jump on it! Other than potholes here in the north the Cali is perfect for daily driving. Tire life of PZero's leaves a bit to be desired (7,000 miles from the rears), Michelin Super Sports will last much longer but they do not stick at all unless VERY hot (and you will hear from too many others here just the opposite but they have NOT driven both, I have :)).

Rick

4. Rick,

Thank you very much for the detailed response.

I'm in Southern CA, so the weather hopefully shouldn't be an issue. :D

Any mechanical issues in your 3-4 years of ownership with the California? I've also heard horror stories about the time it takes to repair a Ferrari (even under warranty), so I'm just curious.

Thanks again.

(Someday, the FF ... )

5. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I have been driving mine 3-4 times per week to work for almost a year. Two short trips (under 400 miles). No problems at all. But it is a very short drive to work, so only 3800 miles or so...

I kinda wish we lived further away so I could spend more time in it...

John

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Screen name looked familiar.

7. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    With my son leaving for Chicago to play Hockey , along with my RR Sport, my California has now moved into the DD category.
    Actually makes the mornings more exciting.

8. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Same issue with the Maserati, Front tires i get about 15-20k, rear gets about 8000. Which tire do you feel works the best, and lasts a little, how about the Potenza ?

9. Yes indeed. Lots of good eating in them parts, especially Pine & Crane and Night+Market.

10. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Same here... mine arrives in Feb/Mar 2015

11. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Question about time taken for warranty (or otherwise) repair delays....is it a parts availability issue or a tech availability issue? Would repairs take less time in large dealerships?

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I've said a lot about tires having had the Michelin Sports, Michelin Super Sports, and PZero's on a Cali (and SottoZeros but that is a winter story). The only reason I get only 8K out of the rears is because of defective tires ... :D ... OR maybe I put my foot in it at EVERY stop light and EVERY turn, guess that is it. If you drive your Cali like you drive your Prius then you would bet twice the mileage out of the rears I would guess but then you might just as well make your Prius your daily driver saving your Cali for the next owner.

13. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Agreed, if you get 15k miles from your tires you did something wrong...

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Southern CA ... I have to deal with snow and ice, you have to deal with Democrats ... sorry had to say it :)

Mechanical issues, just a few in both Cali's, fewer with my 2012 just because many of the original bugs are worked out. Although my car is still under warranty and the longest my dealer has had either car is a week, I am positive that warranty or not their response would be the same. I'm extremely fortunate that my dealer, Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin Ohio, is extremely responsive to my car's needs. They even let me hang with the mechanics as they work on the car so I can get a first hand look at the Ferrari technology.

15. A Ferrari issue.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/143323307-post27.html

16. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Wow. Good to know. Thank you for that link.
    Hopefully at least a loaner is provided while your car is in the garage for long periods.
    I would find that very frustrating.

17. No loaners.