Capristo switch | FerrariChat

Capristo switch

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Twosherpaz, Aug 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Has anyone put the Capristo valve switch on their Cali 30? It made a lot of difference in my Italia. Wondering if it's worth it for the Cali. It's only about $1,000 including install so I'm probably going to go for it. The engine can sound quite good at higher revs. Perhaps this will widen the range of awesome sounds.

I'll report back. It may be a required upgrade for the Cali T.

2. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    I love mine in my Cali30.

3. mattman

mattman Karting

Jun 7, 2014
    I'm having one fitted to my 30 in a couple of weeks time - will let folks know when it's done !

4. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    How does it work? Is it an exhaust modification?

5. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    It is a two button remote that controls a "box" which controls the exhaust valves. Button #1 puts the valves under the control of the ECU (stock configuration). Button #2 overrides the ECU and opens the exhaust valves and keeps them open until button #1 is pressed or the ignition is turned off.

6. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Is it easily "reversible" when the car is sold? What about any warranty issues?
    Sorry if this has been covered already

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    also look into Steve at Forza Componenti [email protected]
    A stand up guy with a competitive product.

8. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Yes, it is reversible, and I had the dealer install it, so they are ok with warrant issues.

9. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Not worth reversing as cost equals labor.

I'm not speaking for Ferrari regarding their warranty policy; however, common sense would dictate that the mod cannot hurt anything but your ears, lol.

10. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Just got it back and oh my goodness, it is everything I was hoping for. Loud grumble at idle with the click of a button. Revving with valves open is a menacing growl. Flip it back and the same sedate purr. Oh my goodness what a great mod for under $900 inclusive!! Really brings the Cali to life.

11. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Will this mod work with the Cali T ?

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Ok, this is probably a silly question, butttttttttttttttttttttt......................... why not just run on Sport mode ? for the sound ?

13. mattman

mattman Karting

Jun 7, 2014
    Valves only open up at 3000rpm, and even then only when pushing it (I find). So the override switch means you can get the nice open sound all of the time when you want it, without always having to rev down the high street !

Matt

14. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Even on Sport, the valves wont open til 3000 rpm ?

15. mattman

mattman Karting

Jun 7, 2014
    That's what I find and have read before in other posts - however someone with more technical experience than me may be able to confirm.

For me - the trademark Ferrari sound of the Cali was one of the reasons I was swayed vs the Aston DBS I was looking at - so a cheap mod to enhance it further is attractive to me.

16. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Was it a dealer install?

17. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Totally agree, however, the question is will they be open in Sport without a mod at low rpm ?

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In the unmodded Cali30, the exhaust is a bit louder at low rpm in SPORT than in COMFORT mode but both modes do require mid-range engine rpm to open the valves. My HELE car also seems to get noisier if I've been driving it aggressively on the previous trip. Its ECU programming has some sort of learning feature.

OTOH, some people like myself believe a bit of exhaust back pressure helps the engine develop more low end torque.

19. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    I'm willing to give up a bit of torque as the price for correcting the sound :)

20. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Randy - Do you mind sharing with us which dealer did your install?

21. Andrew 912

Andrew 912 Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    USA
    Full Name:
    AES
    By passing the valve (Always Open) will drone by RPM 2300 - 2700, Personally I like the factory setup, Sport Mode will open the valve after 3000 RPM and shifting faster as well. IMO...

22. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Sure... Ferrari of San Francisco.

23. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I said it was $900 total! No, it wasn't the dealer, lmao. They would do it though. I have two experts that did it on my F cars. One in so cal one up north.

Someone asked about the Cali T. Since I don't have one, I cannot answer. I certainly have done a chip or valve controller mod to improve the exhaust note in my turbo GTR, my turbo 12C, and my supercharged ZR1, so I don't know why it wouldn't work on the Cali T.

Those debating sport mode don't understand. Now, when my car starts, it sounds better. That's all there is to it. I can click a button to show off the cool, better sound. Everyone says "Oh, yeah. That is the way it should sound." Modes change a lot of things, just not sound at startup or low revs. More modes in the 458 and F12 change even more things, just not startup sound.

There is no horsepower gain. It just sounds better. In the GT3 community, some debate that open pipes actually reduce low-end torque slightly.

24. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    On the Cali T this mod can improve performance, since it is a turbo.
    The turbine can spin faster and more responsive at the very first point.
    On naturally aspirated engines the mod will cause a little lack of torque in the city.

25. Super50

Super50 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014
    Does anybody know how long the install takes?