Chris Harris drives the New Califonia T | FerrariChat

Chris Harris drives the New Califonia T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by 308gtsqv, Sep 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 308gtsqv, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Wow, great write up, and a very pleasing sound to the car ! Thank you for posting :)

3. herenow

herenow Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2014
    US of A
    In a meeting and just wanna leave to watch! Hate how we have to pay for Drive+ but I completely understand why they have to do it.

4. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    14 day trial for first time subscribers... that starts now for me, hehe :)

5. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Me too, but he has interesting cars, i think for 4.00 month, i may keep it. Did you watch the review ?

6. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Agreed. But TBH the video was nothing really "new"... I presume all of the journalists got to drive these cars in the same weekend so for him to release his review now, and at a premium, it really adds no value. The only interesting information was the rumors that the engine can produce more HP and they had to leave room for the 458T buyers... We all deduced that on our own. Also, he didn't drive the Cali 30 so his basis for comparison is a bit dated. Don't get me wrong, I love Chris Harris and his reviews, just didn't find this to be "premium-worthy". But maybe that's an entirely different discussion about Drive+ vs the competition.

7. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Indeed.

I don't mind paying the paltry fee they charge, for premium content but a 8 minute video is nothing special....

8. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Regardless, I always enjoy watching more videos of the Cali T... helps me to see more angles, options, possibilities, etc. I just wish the demo cars both for the journalists and for the North America tour were optioned a bit differently... Again, a separate discussion.

9. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I never tire of reading reviews or watching the video, the 8 minutes was NOT enought :)

What i took away is that some one will figure to remap the Cali to be equal to that of the new 458T, the writer stated that the car could take up to 750hp, and that originally it was over 600 and they pulled it back. What can be pulled one way can be pulled the other. Personally, i feel that 560hp is plenty enough :)

10. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I'm with you there Mitchell. I, personally, do not plan on ever modifying the California T as it's my first and I'm sure it will be plenty "enough" for my needs/desires. :) Unless of course Maranello comes out with some software reprogramming, etc that the dealer can do for me. Hehe.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its a good review. He basically likes it a lot though its not the kind of car he would naturally gravitate to. Said the engine response was great as was the sound.

12. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I trust Harris on cars, so this is an important result IMO.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Agree. I tend to trust him but lets face it there is always a subjective element we all have and also his job is to review these cars and he would be foolish to risk his access to such things- and he's already done that once!

My take is the turbo is a good fit for a more GT type car such as the California. The bigger challenge will be for the 458 replacement but Ferrari is the best and when you are the best you get the biggest challenges. I have the same concerns as everyone on the sound and the throttle response but I figure why worry about something until I know it for sure. So, I'm excited for what they show us.

14. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Yup, give it time and what will be will be.

15. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    sounds like a Doris Day movie :)

16. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If you have NBCSN, /DRIVE, air's every Thursday night.

17. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yes. I don't think that max hp at 7500 RPM will cut it in the 458 replacement. They will need bigger turbos to get it higher and then comes the problem of reduced compression ratios with more boost, all tending to reduce throttle response. But I am also very interested in what they come up with. I wish them well.

18. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I can tell you there is absolutely no comparison in sound between the California T and the 458 motor. I drove the T 4 weeks or so ago and it was nice, not too much lag but the sound was boring. I hope they can do some things to help this before the 458T

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

19. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The difference comes from (1) 9000 RPM vs. 7500 RPM; and (2) less energy in the exhaust itself at ANY RPM. As another case in point I recently drove a 991TT. It had a nice tone for a Porsche flat 6, but it was barely louder at redline than it was at 3000 RPM.

20. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Do the cheapskates on here forgo their own salarys as well?

No content is free, if you aren't paying for it someone else is. If advertisers are paying a content producer do you really think the info you are receiving is unbiased? Someone's opinion is worth what you paid for it.

21. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

The entire rpm range is dull in the T due to your reason 2. From 3-7500 sounds much better in the NA car hands down. Another 1500rpm would have helped but at the end it wouldn't have done much for it by comparison for just the same reason.

The torque delivery was fabulous and was clearly stronger than the NA motor. This is the trade off we will be getting.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

22. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Another problem with TT engines is heat soak. It is less discussed but in most/all installations, a warm day will cause the boost/timing to kick back to avoid detonation. Intercoolers are just not up to the job of cooling the charge, though some are better than others. The result is a major decrease in power. Big time. You can offset it somewhat by running 100 octane fuel, if you can find it.

To me, heat soak is right up there with sound and throttle response as a key disadvantage of TT.

23. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    do u have some links to clarify some more this issue, Noblesse ?

This is interesting and I never heard of it. Nor read about it on the internet.

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Heat soak is a problem inherent in all turbo engines. You drive the car and it gets hot. Fine if you are driving. The coolant flows, air goes through the radiator, everything is fine. But stop the car and park it, and now no coolant or air flows. And while the engine isn't firing away, it's still hotter around the pistons and the exhaust driven turbo than the rest of the engine. But there's nothing cooler flowing to carry away that heat. Turbo bearings can get very hot because the contact the impeller shaft, which is exposed to and driven by exhaust heat. Take away the coolant, and pray your lubricant doesn't quite literally cook and change into a hard compound or weakened lubricant. One solution is to have an electric pump drive the water and/or oil pump for a few minutes after shut down. Heat soak for the intake charge can be dispelled relatively quickly once the engine is up and running again.

25. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I don't need to see the 8 minute video. I am sure he will make faces and say "whoaaa" under turbo acceleration. He will tell how the car is perfectly balanced. He will try to drift it through a few corners. He will talk about the "massive acceleration" and about how Ferrari have made great strides over the base Cali. He will make another face about the brakes, and he will comment on the beautiful sound--and suggest that it doesn't sound like a turbo.

All of his videos are alike.

This guy has jumped the shark.