2013 cali 30 or 2015 cali T, Is it worth it ? | FerrariChat

2013 cali 30 or 2015 cali T, Is it worth it ?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by drtms, Sep 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drtms

drtms Rookie

Sep 4, 2014
    I own a 2013 cali 30, 4000 miles, in showroom condition, red/with beige int.,well optioned.Just drove the cali t, and loved it.The looks and power were better, a little less sound, but what was most impressive to me to make me want to trade up was the significant improvement in the composure ,handling ,steering and Ride.The balance seemed so much improved.To trade up to a similar optioned car the dealer wants $100,000.Although I could afford ,is it worth it ?

2. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    seems a freaking lot, for a 1 year old car like yours.

I'd say not

did u ask OTHER dealers ?

3. drtms

drtms Rookie

Sep 4, 2014
    Seemed like a lot to me.Just got the info today.I will try to ask another dealer.Thanks

4. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    should have been the first thing :

-ask all the dealers u can find.
    -open a thread here in Fchat asking someone knows a dealer interested in taking a cali30 trading it with a new T

then wait and see.

being in a hurry is the best way to lose money. u have a nice car and u must not be in a hurry. it's the dealer who wants to make the deal, not u. After all, didnt the people say that the T isnt that great about the sound and the "spirit" and that the last real cali is the 30 ? :)

5. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    I agree. 100k is a lot to pay for not that much more.
    I would wait.

6. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    Where did you drive one

7. drtms

drtms Rookie

Sep 4, 2014
    I drove on a 14 mile pre mapped public road course in bryn mawr pa.,on a ferrari cali t test drive day.

8. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    I've only seen a few (at debut event) but not driven any

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Here is the problem, the old cali will only drop now that the T is out. So the delta will only grow unless you are willing to buy a used T in 6mo or a year. Even then, id say the depreciation on the old Cali will be faster than on the T.

I also think $100k is a lot to upgrade. As suggested, you can try other dealers (although you might not be able to order a new cali through them).

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm curious but do you drive mainly in AUTO mode or MANUAL and in SPORT?

I test-drove the CaliT and although I was impressed by the effortless torque delivery and the significantly more rigid body, it wasn't nearly as much fun to drive and there was no way to get even half the amount of noise out of the car as the Cali30, which can get very loud and punchy when driven in SPORT MANUAL. The CaliT did feel more composed but in a GT manner, which is not what I would look for in my next car. I find the Cali30 more engaging to drive.

As for the $100k upgrade, you should do better if you sell privately but unless you live in the south, this time of the year is not the best time to sell an FCar, much less a car that's more appreciated as a convertible.

11. drtms

drtms Rookie

Sep 4, 2014
    I drove both in sports mode and I am in full agreement with your impression of both cars, but now at 60 y.o. I am getting the soft gt composed mentality.Thank you all for your input and advice

12. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Why $100K for the upgrade? Seems like you're getting hammered on your trade in...I'm thinking that gap can be closed to some degree - $50K to $60K would be more reasonable for the "upgrade" IMO...

13. Super50

Super50 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014
    My take on resale value of the Cali 30 going forward....this was the last normally aspirated V8, and they aren't making any more. The T is going to be a lot more $$$ even pre-owned, and it also sounds different. At least for the next 2-3 years I think the 30's will hold their value especially the ones with low miles.

14. drtms

drtms Rookie

Sep 4, 2014
    I agree with your opinions and I think I am being fleeced on my trade in.50 or 60k was my gut feeling and I may wait or try another dealer .Thanks again for everyones help

15. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Actually...the 100k hit is a little high but in the ballpark. If you think typical options on Cali30 get up around 250 to 260. Trade in on a 1 year old car to the dealer is probably get about 180 to 190. I figure that you would be in the 250-260 range on the CaliforniaT. The dealer plans on making a profit both on the car and your trade in.

I think the Cali30 is a great car and brings a different smile than the CaliforniaT. I have the Cali30 HS and am looking forward to test driving the CaliT but from what I read from the fine folks on this forum is the HS suspension upgrades essentially rolled into the T (less magnaride). As 4th Gear pointed out, the sound out of the Cali 30 is completely awesome which makes it much more engaging when you drive in sport manual.

Best of luck in your decision...keep us posted on what you decide

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    September through October are the lowest used high end convertible value months here where I live. Those values go back up the following Spring, despite the turning of the calendar year. Good luck!

17. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    True Dat

18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you're going to cough up another $100K, why not just keep your current car and dump $100K into a second car, like a nice, used 458?

$100K of equity disappears very quickly on a new car, as you've just seen with your car, but $100K of equity in a used one could last 5-10 years.