California Battery | FerrariChat

California Battery

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Beefcake2001, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beefcake2001

Beefcake2001 Karting

Dec 5, 2013
    After months of problems traded in my 2011 blue California (With Hele and stop start).

Now got a 2012 non Hele car.

Can anyone confirm if ALL California's have an AGM battery or is it just the stop start cars that have an AGM one fitted.

Just want to make sure I use the correct setting on my charger.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, only HELE-equipped Calis and FF/F12 use and need AGM batteries. I would also expect HELE-458s to need AGM batteries because HELE won't otherwise work with regular batteries as it will ruin them within a few weeks of being installed. I explained why in previous posts. For those who don't recognize the HELE term, it refers to the engine stop/start capability in Fcars.

FWIW, I have also found with my HELE car that the HELE system sometimes seems to get confused and no longer works when the AGM battery stays a long time at high a voltage (13+V) when attached to the battery tender. I then take the car OFF the battery tender for at least a day and HELE goes back to working normally the next day.

My dealer has reported this behaviour to the factory and hopefully they will eventually sort it out - smells like a software issue to me.

3. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    4th_Gear- If you had to do it over again- Would you still do the HELE? I know you are very technical and like the merits of the stop/start system but it seems like it can be a pain sometimes too.

4. Beefcake2001

Beefcake2001 Karting

Dec 5, 2013
    4th_Gear- many thanks once again for your assistance.

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I replaced two batteries in my FF so far. The first after 35,000 miles or so as I remember because it was making a crackling sound in the radar detector when it started, the second was a couple months later with the battery refusing to hold a charge more than a day. The dealer said they really have not had trouble with the AGM batteries though.

6. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Towards the end of the production California/Cali 30, all had AGM batteries Odyssey(PC1350) installed.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well Ron, I guess the acid test is how I feel when I drive the car with and without HELE. I really much prefer running the car with HELE. :) It enhances the dual personality of the Cali. I like it when the car goes silent at a stop, only to rouse and go back to being as raucous as I wish when I restart the engine. It's like what punctuation adds to speech. Otherwise it can feel monotonous when there is little variation in the pace or tone. Of course, the added torque from HELE is always welcomed.

The HELE system offers many ways to entertain a technically-oriented driver. You can play with the HELE programming by modulating how you drive the car. Since I was a researcher in my early life I enjoy analyzing problems so it hasn't been a pain to investigate and work around this minor hiccup. I feel the mix of quirkiness with engaging character is very typical of the classic Italian sports car allure. :)

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The owner's manual for the non-HELE car indicates "Fiamm 12V - 100 A/h - 850 A" whereas the Cali HELE and FF/F12 all use a "BATTERIA 12V-95AH -VALE PER STOP & START", Ferrari part number 256381. The two Fiamm batteries are different.

The Odyssey brand is not sold in Italy but I understand both Odyssey and Fiamm are owned by EnerSys so they could market the same (PC1350) battery under different brand names. I imagine Ferrari's factory supplier contract for batteries would also be with Fiamm.

AGM batteries cost almost 2x the price of an equivalent-size standard lead acid battery and would also have different charging requirements. The PC1350 is not what my dealer has been using for non-HELE battery replacements. AFAIK, their normal replacement battery for the Cali is the Interstate MTP-49/H8, a standard lead acid starter battery.

9. Beefcake2001

Beefcake2001 Karting

Dec 5, 2013
    #9 Beefcake2001, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard

very nice !, lets see more pics :)

11. Beefcake2001

Beefcake2001 Karting

Dec 5, 2013
    Will try get more pictures done this weekend

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I love those seats!

13. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Thanks for that info; will write it down in case I need to buy a new battery. AGM is the better overall battery except in engine compartments. They don't like excessive heat, and can actually last a lot less in that environment. So on the Cali, I'd definitely buy the wet-cell one. But in F-cars with the battery in front of the passenger's kick panel (or trunk), definitely an AGM. I think all 458s have it now. Remember finding a leak on the 430 Spider and it wasn't fun. Thank you again.

14. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Maybe it was only for the USA market. Last time I checked USA Ferrari dealers can't get any lead acid batteries for Californias, they all superseded to the AGM 1350. Yes a non-Hele California can use a Interstate MTP-49/H8, where abouts the Hele cars can use a Interstate MT5-49/H8 if desired.

15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, heat is not good for any battery but since they are mounted in front of the Cali's engine they are actually "up-wind" from it when the car is in motion. The scoop on the hood is also very handy for improving ventilation. I always pop the hood after I get home - something I learned from BMW ownership - no sense cooking the engine compartment. ;)

I suspect the reason for switching to AGM batteries in regular 458s and Calis may be because idle AGM batteries hold their charge much better. Avoiding dead batteries with garage queens may well offset the higher cost of the AGM units.

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 4th_gear, Sep 26, 2014
    Not sure why they had supply problems but perhaps as I suggested, they switched to the AGM units because they hold their charge much better and last much longer than regular starter batteries. I imagine the extra costs are easily offset by reduced labour and hassles with customers who don't drive their cars enough.

My HELE Cali30's replacement battery is actually a German-made (probably VARTA) Interstate MT5-49/H8. The factory and the dealer had both authorized a PC1350 replacement but eventually used the Interstate instead. Interstate seems to have a more regular supplier relationship with my dealer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nice upgrade! Are you sure it's not a Cali30? Does it still feature a cavallino on the centre console bridge?

18. Beefcake2001

Beefcake2001 Karting

Dec 5, 2013
    #18 Beefcake2001, Sep 27, 2014
    Hi 4th_Gear

no the car is a 2012 California I had the wheels changed as you can see.

Car has most of the Carbon options :-
    Rear diffuser
    Carbon driving zone + Leds
    Upper area
    Central bridge
    Sill Kicks
    Rear Moulding
    Front Wing
    Racing Seats (Large).

I have also just purchased the Carbon fibre mats but am not to sure now they have arrived.
    I prefer the red carpet ones.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Is some markets with a heavy co2 tax simply ordering the HELE system can save you a ton of money (like $20k) in taxes.

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yep, I see the cavalllino. That's a grand interior!

21. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    Love the racing seats on your car! Just beautiful.......

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rosso Corsa with Crema interior. Best resale combo for RHD Ferraris. Very pretty.

23. JamesJoseph

JamesJoseph Rookie

Nov 17, 2023
    Little Silver NJ
    Full Name:
    JamesJ. Valentino
    What do I need to do with the electrical system after changing the battery in my 2012 California

24. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The Owner's Manual should tell you what to do before and after. Look under "Battery" in the index.