Seats - Diamond pattern or datoyna ? | FerrariChat

Seats - Diamond pattern or datoyna ?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by seateddime, Sep 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. seateddime

seateddime Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Which are better?

Does the price make one "better"?

Which are more comfortable?

2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I've heard diamond was more comfortable so I went with that. Don't think one is "better@ than the other, just different style. I think many people get Daytona style either because they like the way it looks or they want to add a "throwback" element to their modern Ferrari. Dealer once told me diamond style was available on old Ferraris too, maybe even before Daytona, so you really can't go wrong either way.

3. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    Daytona's are very comfortable and a classic ferrari seat. Helps resale. Bdth look and work well

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have had both and the diamond maybe slightly more comfortable . However the difference is very minor as they are both the same seats just a difference in the covering.

5. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    For what it's worth, I had a 2010 Cali with Daytona seats and after a long drive would always need to stretch out the aches. When I changed to a 2012 458 spider, I had racing seats - heaven. On long drives the racing seats were so comfortable - felt absolutely fine. For me they're the best seats I ever had and I guess will get them or whatever the similar option is in my Speciale A next year. If you can get racing seats in the Cali, they would be my vote - although if you like electric adjustment etc. they don't have that.

6. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    I also had a 2010 Cali with Daytona's and did not find them comfortable...don't know if it was the shape of Cali seat or the Daytona pattern/inserts. In any event, when I went for a Spider I got the standard seats and was very happy with them. Going back to Cali now and am staying away from Daytona's.

7. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Daytona's are easier on resale, but I find the Diamond to be more comfortable. Not that there's a huge difference, so it boils down to taste and how concerned you are about resale. Don't get me wrong, it's not that nobody buys a diamond car, they are just more particular.

Daytona/Diamond seat aside - racing seats are the best option, they are comfy and help if you're a tall guy (the seats sit lower). They are absolutely worth the premium IMO. They are very well padded and not the conventional hard or stiff that you may associate with that type of seat.

8. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    We have Daytona's in our Cali and ordered the T with them. They are fine for my wife and me. Not as comfortable as the S-Class for all day driving... :)

9. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Diamond are a bit more lush, that could be construed as more comfortable to some - I think so.
    Daytonas keep you planted. Something about the high and low of the leather. They're more comfortable than they look, but IMO slightly less than the diamond.

10. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    I ordered the new Backbone style. I'll take photos when it gets here

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    IMO diamond works well in the California and should not make for a debit in that car. In the 458 however, I think that Daytonas do much better; in that car either the standard seats or Daytonas are just fine.

12. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Daytonas on the 430 were fine. But on the Cali, they have HUGE bulges, and are very uncomfortable for my skinny frame, especially in summer, with a thin shirt. They look like a work of art, but no way I'd get them again. And personally, I don't like the diamond pattern, especially on a sports car. So the answer seems to be either the racing seats. Or better yet, that new option that resembles the racing seats but with basic electric adjustments. Those sound like the solution for me :D. Good luck.

13. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    #13 Peter P, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I really like the classic look of the Daytonas, particularly with contrast inserts and stitching, so I went with them in my Cal30. For my taste, I do also like the Diamond seats, but only with contrasting stitching, so that they look less monochromatic. In terms of comfort and support, I'm generally pleased with the Daytonas. They are very supportive overall, but not as comfortable in the lower back area for my build. The new backbone seat looks like a nice way to update the look of the California, with a racing seat appearance, but (I'd guess) better padding. If you can make it to the Ferrari factory showroom in midtown NYC, they should have actual examples of each of the seats that you can try out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    my wife prefers diamonds

15. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    So does mine........... For seats, she prefers carbon sport seats.

We recently had a go in a T with Backbones, they were great. We tried another non-T Cali with Daytonas. We didn't like the Daytonas and I concur that they seem very bulgy and "lumpy". A friend of ours has Diamond stitch in her Cali, and from what I remember, they were on par with the Backbones. I've only been a passenger in that car though, and it's been a while.

16. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree completely.

17. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have Daytonas, they are more firm than the diamonds, which I like.

18. gk@kco.no

Mar 3, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Geir Knutsen
    I had Daytona on my 2010 Cali, and have now got my New Cali T with Diamond sticthing. I think that the Diamond stitching is more comfortable, or maybe the Cali T seats are just better?

19. Los Angeles pi

Jun 30, 2017
    Ok.

I am a newbie. About to take delivery of my first Ferrari.

A 2017 T.

I race cars as a hobby and want something posh and comfortable. I have driven a T with Daytona heated/cooled seats.

But just pulled the trigger on a new T with Diamond Stiched seats, no cooling or heating, which is cool.

Anyone with any real world experience between the two seats in this car? I am wiring the money in and for some reason geeting hung up on the seat issue.

20. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #20 wrs, Jun 30, 2017
    I don't have either, here are mine with alcantara inserts and they are full electric heated and cooled. I like them a lot.

21. Los Angeles pi

Jun 30, 2017
    #21 Los Angeles pi, Jun 30, 2017
  22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    for the cali/FF diamond is tough to beat. for 458 diamond wld look out of place

23. JBlack002

JBlack002 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Mooresville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #23 JBlack002, Jun 30, 2017
    In my opinion, either the Diamond Stitch or Daytona seats look great in the Cali. Diamond Stitch is very classy; Daytona a bit more sporty. Ultimately may depend how either fits with the overall build. I got the Daytona with contrasting color insert, which I enjoy.

24. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    +1

25. Magon

Magon Rookie

Jun 15, 2017