California T really sounds like this? | FerrariChat

California T really sounds like this?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by qwertstnbir, Sep 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    I have question to Cali T owners, can you click this link below and listen this around 60 seconds audio (START THE ENGINE). California T really sounds like this? Turbo engine can really sound so good?
    Official Website of Ferrari California T

2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Yup! I test drove a pre-production Cali T last week in Atlanta and it sounded similar to that. I didn't red line it like in the audio clip but it sounded very similar. You do need to wind it up a bit to get it sounding super aggressive. The engine sounds "bassier" now. Sounded great for what it is!

3. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    thanks, maybe 458 replacement will be not so bad with turbo sound :D

4. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    You can always make yourself comfortable by looking at a video and claim a result.
    But based on 2 things :
    -The reviews from California 30 owners who drive the California T, almost everybody claim that the sound of Turbo is lame.
    -From every turbocharged successor of NA, like Zonda to Huayra, BMW M5 V10 NA to V8 Turbo, 911 GT3 and 911 Turbo (basically the same engine, only added Turbo), and 2013's F1 to 2014's F1.
    I think the 458's successor will sound better than California T, but very lame if compared to 458 or Speciale.

5. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Lame may be over the top but to each their own. For what the California T is I think it sounds good. For what the 458T is it remains to be seen. I'll reserve judgement until it's out, though.

6. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I drove a Cali T today, the sound is fine, it is not a sound of a Maserati, but then what is? For a DD, a GT car, the sound is more than fine. I did not put the top down as it was approaching 100 degrees, but personally I liked what i heard, it sounded better than what I expected. Is it a F12 sound or a 458 sound, no, but actually Mike, My Maser GTC sport sounds better than a 458. However for what the car represents, its great. The car drove well, it is tight, the steering is precise. I cannot compare it to a Cali30 as i have never driven one. I am thankful that I have been fortunate to be able to purchase one. :)

7. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    same for me cali T sounds good,lots of torque,should outrun cali 30

8. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Maser GTC sounds better than 458 in Wet Mode. Brother, when you drive a 458, you need to switch the little thing to Race Mode, unless you are a....sexy girl. It sounds louder and much much much higher-scream than any road version Maserati except MC12.

9. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I think any comparison to a 458 is missing the point of the California T, though...

10. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Yes, Cali has different orientation with 458. And everybody expect different things from a car. Some people like speed from stand still, 911 turbo is best for them. Some people like high speed, agility, daily usage, look, sound, etc.
    I'm everything about look and sound. So the way I appreciate it may be different with you.

11. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    To each their own my friend. :)

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    +1

13. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    None of these sound as good as Aston or Maserati... So I don't really put emphasis on how Ferrari sound, they are just ok anyway... Driving fell is where it gets you...

14. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I just got done driving the Cali T for about 30 minutes. (Thanks FOW).

I was shocked at how good it sounded. I kept the windows down, even though it was raining lightly. :)

15. abiazis

abiazis Rookie

Jun 3, 2005
    atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew Dennis Biazis
    Test drove last week.....sounds like a real Ferrari........surprising.....

16. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I thought it sounded like a vacuum cleaner!!

:D

17. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Maybe it sounds like a fruit fly on a dog ? :)

18. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Ha!

19. vrdjs

vrdjs Karting

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    I drove the Cali T yesterday and I am a 2014 Cali 30 owner. I wholeheartedly agree that the sound is different. Not necessarily bad or lame. Just different. I had heard SO much negative stuff about it, that I was prepared to be bummed out. But I wasn't. And the speed? Holy hell that thing is fast. The torque is just unreal. It is SO much more aggressive and SO much more intense than my 2014. So much in fact, that I ordered a 2015. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the 2014? Anyone? Anyone?

20. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Thank you for your post, I felt the same way until I drove the T, and just loved it. I did not have any Ferrari to compare it to, I am glad you loved it !

21. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
  22. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Hi, Firstly the FF is way more than I can afford, unless I purchased one used and then went to find my options. However, moreover, I have always had a drop top, and just love the convertible. I wanted the option of the back seat even though it is tight, but for a daily driver I feel the CaliT would be a better option for me. The FF is really a car I would love to have, 12 cyllander and the sound is amazing along with the back seats. I feel the FF would require much more expense on a daily driver than the T. If I needed a bigger car for going with the kids or friends, I would use my wifes ML350. This is my first Ferrari, and wanted to get it the way I wanted so I can keep it at least 5 years. I am not concerned with the Depreciation, as everything depreciates. I will drive it about 15k miles per year. So for me the Cali T was the most logical choice. Everyone has their own wants and wishes, for example I would never want a 458 coupe but love the spider.

23. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    Thanks
    When FF arrive I was expect that this car became bestseller like Panamera and now I heard rumors that dealers have problem to find customers who will buy FF.
    Do you think that there is something "wrong" with FF? Maybe price is to high? or customers don't like body design? or maybe customers prefer SUV or sedan as family car?