Dashboard camera - front facing | FerrariChat

Dashboard camera - front facing

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by GFD, Oct 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Does anyone have one installed? I would love some ideas and install locations!

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Do you mean a aftermarket front camera ?

3. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Yes, a dashcam that records while the car is being driven, for evidence in the event of a claim etc. they are popular in Russia apparently.

4. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    they have something like that in the 2015 corvette, which records, videos everything ! Its in the Valet mode :)

5. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    I suggest to install at least 2, one for the front and one for the back.

6. Super50

Super50 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014
    If somebody touches you from behind its automatically their fault.
    On the other hand you need to prove your innocence in front.

7. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Not really, if you slam your brake for no reason, it's still your fault. Or if you change lane or turn without signal and being hit from behind, it's still your fault. These happened the most to those who drive while using phone.

8. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Genius DVR FHD590, mount it at the windshield. The best thing about this camera is that it is full HD, but no speed display. Never get one with speed display, that is a sin-confession. Nobody drives speed limit, when something happened, even it's 100% not your fault, blood-sucker will say "well, you drove too fast, Sir. So it's 50% your fault".

9. DutchinFL

DutchinFL Karting

Mar 28, 2011
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Collin Ziemerink
    Yes
    Installed front in my California, front and rear in my Expedition and front in my Hyundai
    put a 64Gb SD in each, holds plenty
    Love it: can withstand the heat (unlike others), many settings as options, HD, audio, Gforce, speed, time date and more
    Also great included power module to turn off etc.
    Do the research and you will see the differences.
    Bought sets incl. power unit on Ebay. Worked perfectly.
    South Korean Quality, very good

Collin

10. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Can you please share a picture of the install location? I want to see how conspicuous it is.
    Do you worry about theft?

11. 430maybe

430maybe Karting

Oct 12, 2012
    Northern England
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    I'm wanting to know this too. I have a front facing dashcam in the BMW - got it fitted by an autoelectrician. Not keen on anyone messing with the Cali though. Does anyone know where I can pick up 12v from near the front windscreen/windshield or where can I run the fairly long cable to, to pick up 12v elsewhere?

Please all help and advice very welcome

12. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    BMW used to sell an adapter that would plug into your flashlight charger in your glove compartment and convert to a 12v cigarette socket. It was easy to then plug in the dashcam and run the cable around the windshield to behind the mirror. Not sure if that is possible on the Cali, but perhaps you could tap a 12v source around there? The added bonus for me was that it was on/off with ignition.

13. 430maybe

430maybe Karting

Oct 12, 2012
    Northern England
    Full Name:
    Full Name

Now that's an idea. A 12v source somewhere near the windscreen. Why didn't I think of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk