2014 Cali transmission failure light | FerrariChat

2014 Cali transmission failure light

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by gatorgreg, Oct 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I just bought a 2014 California. I have had it for two weeks. It is a wonderful car. The second week of driving mostly in traffic, the transmission failure light comes on. The car will only shift up and down two gears at a time.
    I have had several Ferrari's and a transmission light is nothing new to me.
    I turned off the car and let the computer reset.
    The transmission light went away but now I have have a engine failure light. Nothing new for me either. I will reset the car or take it to the dealer to read the code.
    I thought Ferrari had worked through all these issues with the newer cars.

Anyone else experiencing this situation?

My 575 would do the same thing with a low battery or a bad F1 relay switch.

2. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    you're better off asking who hasnt

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My understanding is the DCT shifts through two sets of gears (call them the odds, and evens) i.e. 1-3-5-7, 2-4-6-R
    When the transmission goes, it usually goes on one clutch and takes out one set. There have been a number of post from owner's with similar symptoms.

Can't help trolling all of these?
    FWIW, I haven't, and I'm sure the majority haven't either.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I don't believe the F1 tranny of the 575 works the same way - the DCT has 2 clutches and 2 sets of gears whereas the 575 F1 is a single automated clutch sequentially working a single set of gears.

I do agree that battery or other electrical issues like sensors may cause spurious warning and error lights. However, that is different from the car actually skipping gears when you shift.

I haven't had this issue and I suggest you take your car to your dealer to sort out.

6. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I will have the dealer Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale pick it up and let the saga begin. I bought a 2014 to avoid these types of problems.
    I have less problems with my challenge car.

7. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    #7 TOOLFAN, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    +1
    This is the guy who claims that you "NEED" $10K to a maintain a Ferrari for a year.

8. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I called the dealer. They agreed something is wrong. Asked me if the gear changes were odd or even. They will pick it up and fix it.

9. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    That is really disappointing! 2014 Model!
    Hope they get it fixed.

10. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    well at least you are covered for the next 3 years (a broken gearbox is 15k)

11. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Are they already able to repair the gearbox?
    I read a few month ago that Ferrari is preparing for this problem, and trains staff to be able to repair broken DCT.

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes.
    I have personally spoken to Beverly Hills Ferrari and Boardwalk Ferrari who repair and rebuild the DCT transmissions in house.

13. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Prices are still around 10k dollars, if I am not mistaken.

Can u deny or confirm ?

14. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I haven't.

15. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    My car has been at the dealer for a couple weeks. They plugged in the computer SD3 and sent the data to Ferrari. Ferrari reported back to say nothing was wrong with the transmission. They reset the computer and sent the car back.
    What do you guys think?

16. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    That it might have been a computer mistake solved by a simple reset.

Or that u're in for it again.

I think the first one.

Ah, the transmission/engine failure light goes on a lot of times in the Cali.

17. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Marmist, what year is your Cali? Wondering if the issue is more prevalent in certain model years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    You guys are lucky then. The mechanics at my local dealer (based in Europe) have specifically told me that the Getrag is a sealed unit, which they do not tamper with. One of the guys said all the DCT failures they've had has been down to a specific sensor failure rather than mechanical failure. Still they replace the whole unit with a new box shipped in from Italy.

19. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Good to know. I think there is a problem with the sensor. The skipping of gears is a electronic issue not mechanical.
    The good news is the car is under warranty for three years.

I am just disappointed with Ferrari. How can they compete on the world stage with new cars that have transmission failures.

20. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Because they did a poor job of calibrating them. AMG uses the exact same unit in the SLS (Getrag 7DCL750) with zero reported failures last time I checked. Bernd Maylander said AMG looked at the 'box with an extra regard for durability.

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not sure where your dealer is coming from this is not true according to my dealer. Here's what the service manager of FoO told me back in April:
    "...Ferrari offers training on rebuilding and servicing of the DCT gearbox so we now don't have to replace it. We have some of our technicians trained and have performed repairs on these gearboxes already which is much more cost effective indeed. We also have a lot of experience with our racing program using and these gearboxes so my staff are well prepared for any gearbox problems that may arise..."

The Toronto (Ontario) dealership owned by Remo Ferri has 2 458 GT3s racing in the Pirelli World Challenge series (Remo Ferri Motorpsort).

In the end, I think a decision to make a repair vs. swapping the unit would depend on the nature of the DCT failure and whether the unit is still under warranty.

22. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #22 MisterMaranello, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

There may be differences between US and Europe. I stated my dealer is Europe based. There is no other regional training facility than the FNE facility in Slough, London. I do not know of FNE offers this type of training, it's certainly not been on the agenda of any of the European-based dealers I'm familiar with. Perhaps this recquires factory training. My dealer spends roughly $60-70k US on various training courses for staff annually (Ferrari/Maserati).

The mechanics themselves and part manager said they get a new unit in a crate from Italy once the DCT fails. I have seen this myself looking over a 458 in the middle of an engine and gearbox swap. They do most certainly not touch the DCT at my dealer. They've clearly stated it's a sealed unit, out of their hands.

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, a correction is in order. The possible difference you allude to may be between FNA vs FNE, not US and Europe. Canada is not part of the US. :)

Perhaps the DCTs in racing FCars are serviced differently in Northern Europe but treating a transmission, a DCT no less, as a "black box" component would clearly not be practical if you are racing on them. So if they routinely service DCTs in the GT3 series, they can definitely service the DCTs in street cars. This point was made to me by the service manager when I spoke to him. The quote I used in my earlier post was part of his reply to me in an email.

24. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I heard the early 458 Challenge cars had several problems with the Getrag transmission. The electrical ran right through the middle of the gearbox. The transmission would overheat and cook the electrical wires. I heard they had long fixed the issue.

Mine is electrical. I have access to a SD3. I will plug it in next time and read the code myself.

25. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe

Oops, my bad! :p

I do believe you, and it only goes to prove my thoughts on there being a substantial variation on the level of competency between different Ferrari dealee. My dealer does not maintain anything more than Challenge machinery, but do not compete in the series. The next-closest dealer races in the Blancpain Endurance series, and can do a lot more than what the local dealer can. If you want to pull the string really far, look at places like Kessel etc. I think last time he told me they had 80 employees in the servicing/racing department...