California T vs 12C Spider | FerrariChat

California T vs 12C Spider

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by NYCone, Oct 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYCone

NYCone Rookie

May 24, 2014
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but what is the conventional wisdom about California T vs 12C Spider ownership.

I've driven a California, and I'm set to try the 12C this week. The appeal of the 12C is the dramatic price drop since the 650 is out. Many tell me the 12C is better than the 458.

I'm seeking a daily driver, and the Cali T seems the right way to go for general comfort and fun, but the 12C Spider seems a great value at the moment.

Thoughts?

2. letsplay99

letsplay99 Karting

Mar 28, 2013
    I had a 12C (not the spider) and now have a 458 spider and am looking at the california T next. The 12C is a great car and it does not have a direct comparison to the california but here are some observations:

1) Much harder to get into and out of the 12C due to the doors and the general low entrance
    2) 12C is much faster than the California T but a couple of tenths of a sec faster is something you wont notice unless you are planning on tracking it.
    3) 2 rear seats in the california but not the 12C which makes the california more versatile, I have little kids so was looking for this
    4) 12C spider is a great value now, especially if you can get it around 200 however the p13 is coming next year and am not sure what it will do to 12C values.
    5) The california T is the newer car so it is desirable but there doesnt seem to be a wait list for the car, at least at the 2 or 3 dealerships I spoke to, meaning that when you walk out that door at the dealership, you would have lost 30K. However if you are getting it to drive and keep for sometime, I would not care for the hit as all cars depreciate and ordering a new one to your spec might be something you are looking to do.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

3. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Not sure I would compare them...one is a front engine GT car versus a mid engine sports car that you can track. A 458 is the comparison to a 12C...and as a former 458 Spider owner, that's not a difficult choice in my mind. A California is great as a semi-practical and fun road car (that's why I've ordered one), but it's not designed to rip around a track like a 458 or a 12C.

No doubt that a 12C is more car for the money (transaction price much lower than a 458) if that's an important consideration to you...and if you plan on keeping for a long time. Otherwise the savings will likely wash out on the depreciation.

4. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I went with the Cali T. Much more practical with rear seats, pass through to a rear trunk, higher seating position, MPG, etc. not that these are always what we consider but since you asked... :)

5. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Apples and oranges. You should be able to decide which is best for you.

6. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    12c is on BBC right now with Jeremy Clarkson driving! "Steering is wooden, suspension made from old tea bags" lol.... but it's pretty!

7. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    12C is an amazing car... Just apples to oranges

8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Leaving the subjectives out of it, the only reason I could see to get a California would be rear seats and trunk space.

12C has been and continues to be a lot of money for the car and you can probably get a used Spider for 200-210K and top up the warranty for $3500/year if it's a concern.

So a barely used and high spec 12C Spider with full warranty for probably $210-220K (before taxes.) I think it's hard to argue against it objectively.

9. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Did you mean a lot of car for the money?

Seems to me the 12c is at a great price point when looking at buying a used supercar.

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yea. Whoops.

11. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    I had a 12C coupe and liked it so much that I swapped into a 12C Spider. Every time I drive my Spider, I can't help but think that the car is absolutely perfect. I try to find a flaw and the biggest one I have come up with is that I wish the seat was mounted an inch lower to give me more headroom.

I don't know of any other carbon tubbed supercars that can be bought for $220K'ish and deliver the !@C's level of performance. Like others have said, a 12C isn't a very valid comp to a Cali, but if you buy a 12C wanting a badass, trackable sports car, you won't be disappointed!

12. NYCone

NYCone Rookie

May 24, 2014
    I completely understand the cars are apples to oranges, but having owned neither, I thought I'd ask folks for thoughts.

It seems like the Cali T can be a DD replacement, but the 12C is a weekend car only. Value (not absolute price) is key for me in any purchase. The 12C seems an amazing value, while the Cali T is retail pricing. Perhaps the Cali 30s will drop a bit as the Cali T is on the market, but that may take a few years.

I'll try to get the the McLaren dealer this weekend and see what comes of a drive.

13. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    If the dealer has any new 12cs lying around you can easily get $$$ off. Depending on the price you could probably get $30K off.

14. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Down here in south Florida, the Collection has a roof top of Macs, you can easily make a deal if you didnt want a Ferrari which they also have :) Call Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale, they usually have a bunch of Macs which were traded for Ferraris :)

15. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Disagree. Unless you need the back seat and trunk space often, the 12C is no worse for daily usage.

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I kind of understand what you are getting at but I think overall NYCone has it right.

Any mid engine supercar like the 12C (or 458) has a lower seating position (good for fun, not so much for every day visibility), probably not as safe, harder to get in and out of (especially with a carbon tub car).

Anyway IMHO its like this:
    Both are toys. The 12C is more of a pure toy (that can be comfortable) where as the Cali is a toy that has some more practicality built in. Neither are SUV or sedan or whatever you might drive daily. If you are willing to drive a sports car daily then they both could do it.

My advice is try both and see what fits your needs best. Since you are in the realm of what I consider toys, I'd say to not just consider the engineering (both cars are very impressive) but also the emotional connection you feel with both cars.

17. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Are they just not selling or what?

I thought it would be highly desirable.

18. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    They are an old model, it's normal depreciation

19. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Yeah since the 650S got announced out of nowhere there are we a lot of 12Cs sitting around or on order.

20. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I think its more than that, even prior to the new models, Brahman always had a dozen or more on their roof. I was offered a Mac at below cost, a year ago. Remember, nothing, has the Ferrari Panashe.

21. wacko

wacko Rookie

Dec 2, 2014
    JC is a bit of an idiot sometimes: it is common consent that the 12C has the best ride of any super-car. Not saying it's better than a 458 but it has an incredibly good suspension.

22. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Chris Harris loved the suspension in the 12c. I've driven both that 12c and 650s and think they are very comfortable.

23. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    12C: Worse emotions/ worse looks

Drive the cars, and you will know which one to buy!