California T's infotainment system | FerrariChat

California T's infotainment system

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by sekorkor, Oct 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sekorkor

sekorkor Rookie

Sep 11, 2014
    Hong Kong
    Got a Cali T coming in the 2nd quarter of 2015. Such a long wait...... Now just about time to confirm the final options I would want in the car but got some questions on its infotainment system. Kinda hoping the experienced Fcar owners here can share some ideas.

It seems here in Hong Kong that Cali T's default set up has no cd-reader included but can be added for free of charge. If added, it will be in the glove compartment. During the test drive, I saw the glove compartment is really small already so having an extra cd-reader in it basically prevents it to hold anything else other than a few pages of paper...... One can bluetooth music into the infotainment system but don't know if it has a harddisk. So my questions are:

1) is a cd-reader necessary, for occasional uses?

2) does the cd-reader hold only one cd or multiple, like six cd?

3) does Cali T's infotainment system have an internal harddisk that one can transfer mp3 into with?

Thanks for reading through this~

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I may have missed it but so far there is only reference to a Iphone connectivity and the old model had a hard disc so it seems unlikely that there would be such a significant degradation of capability as to require a cd player

3. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I rarely use the CD but when I do it is listening to a book on CD during a long long drive. I have boxes of them that my dad gave me. I know I can rip them but it is more hassle than I want to do. So I got the player just in case I take some long solo trips.. I think it is single play. Other than that, I don't use the CD player.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Yes but OP was asking about the T which I believe has a different system and as I read the spec for your T you did not request the CD player

5. sekorkor

sekorkor Rookie

Sep 11, 2014
    Hong Kong
    So Cali T does not have a harddisk installed already?

I heard 458's cd-reader holds multiple cd. True?

6. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Great memory! But I did request the CD player after I learned it is not included. Just forgot to update you guys! :)

I also squeaked in CarPlay which delayed my build a bit...

7. pratas

pratas Karting

Sep 1, 2014
    Hong Kong
    Hi sekorkor

I am in HK, too. However, I placed my Cali T order in Taiwan.

Did HK spec come with carplay? Carplay and navigation is not a standard nor an option in Taiwan.

Sometime quite strange, my Bentley GT in HK also did not come with navigation which should be standard.

8. richie80

richie80 Rookie

Sep 16, 2014
    When I ordered mine, the CDRE option was added automatically. The dealer never asked if I wanted to take it off.

I doubt you'd need a CD reader at all when you have got iPod and bluetooth streaming. But then personally I don't have anything to store in the glovebox. I guess having the option does no harm.

9. sekorkor

sekorkor Rookie

Sep 11, 2014
    Hong Kong

Carplay has became an option in HK since late September I think. Costs near HKD 100K. Before then it wasn't available even as an option either.

10. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    >2014
    >CDs

11. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    I just picked mine up yesterday. No carplay. Anyway, the first thing I noticed is the sound system (upgraded) is multiple times better than the 2010 California, 2013 458 Italia and 2013 Spyder. I've had them all and if you search my posts you can see the photos of my experience with the old California. The infotainment system definitely streams music off of the iPhone via bluetooth, but I'll be toying around with the sound system today and get back to you on this soon.

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    send some pics, and congratulations !

13. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    That's great to hear...had the same underwhelming experience with my old Cali and Spider and decided to roll the dice on the upgrade...terrific news that it's worth it.

How bout some pics!

14. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred

CarPlay option at Japan is around USD3500 and is available from September order. I placed my Cali T order in June and wasn't able to have the CarPlay option. It is also can't be installed after. I checked my dealer demo Cali T today. It has Bluetooth and USB port. You can either play music ever via Bluetooth or USB port.

CD recorder is a kind of standard at Japan.

Hope this info can help

Fred

15. sekorkor

sekorkor Rookie

Sep 11, 2014
    Hong Kong
    The dealer confirmed the cd-reader can only hold one cd. Well, I think i won't get it then, so as to leave the glove compartment usable for actually hold something such as a pair of glove...

Just wish the infotainment system has an internal harddisk. I mean, how hard or expensive could it be for ferrari to make it standard or at least as an option? An USD 20K new car would have it available nowadays......

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There is no confirmation that there is no hard disc - as I said the old one had it so it seems unlikely to have been dropped - anyone ?

17. sekorkor

sekorkor Rookie

Sep 11, 2014
    Hong Kong
    The dealer said the harddisk is gone for Cali T because unlike Cali 30, now that on Cali T you can bluetooth music over so Ferrari dropped the harddisk.

Think this is it for the Hong Kong version of Cali T. Not sure about it for other versions as the spec. could be different. Though there ain't even an option for the harddisk here...

18. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I decided to go for the CD reader... gloves can fit in the side door, central compartment, backtests, etc. I'm sure I'll use the CD reader 10 times during my entire ownership but would rather have it than not, especially since it's free.

19. Skippy

Skippy Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    #19 Skippy, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FYI - My 2014 Cali 30 streams Bluetooth from my phone. I can even stream Pandora to it. I don't do it much because Bluetooth audio quality sucks compared to straight file rendering on the head unit.

I'm interested in knowing definitively if there is a hard drive option available. Getting 192kbps or higher quality files to a hard drive in a Cali-T would be great if the sound system is finally great sounding.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    There is NO hard drive in the Cali T with the premium sound system (not CarPlay)
    Considering that my old Cali had a hard drive this is disappointing
    The infotainment system is better overall than the old one but not by much and still not "world class".

21. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    No hard drive is definitely disappointing and blue-tooth pandora doesn't cut it.

So, pardon my pathetic lack of audio tech understanding, but how do you then get high quality digital music out of the unit? I guess you have to somehow plug your music storage to the head unit? How do you accomplish that without the hassle of physically connecting your phone everytime you get in the car...no one is going to do that. You need an old school i-pod semi permanently hooked up from glove box?

22. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    Yep.. You can plug in a high capacity USB stick in the centre console storage connector.
    This is quite lame for the PREMIUM sound system.
    I can only presume it promotes the upgrade to CarPlay.

23. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    CarPlay is a separate option from premium sound.

24. sekorkor

sekorkor Rookie

Sep 11, 2014
    Hong Kong
    Wonder if CarPlay comes with a harddisk...

Well, if an USB can play the harddisk' stole, then it's better than nothing. And one of those tiny USB would seem to be better than permanently leaving an iPod in there. Though I'm a little skeptical about if it can play from an USB......

25. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Suppose you could just use an external Hdd via USB? This way it's kind of limitless.