New California Owner | FerrariChat

New California Owner

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by jay575, Oct 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #1 jay575, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello all:

Just traded my 2004 575 that I had for 5 years for a 2012 California. See 1 photo. That's the delivery driver in the car, by the way, not me. Just delivered this Wednesday. Beautiful vehicle.

So now I'm one of you with a few questions.

1. I have the build sheet and it lists code SATR: Antenna SDARS. What is that?

2. Also, found 2 black plastic pieces in the trunk...see photo...What are these for?

3. This vehicle's 3 year warranty ends late November. The seller is offering an extended warranty same as the original for these approximate costs: 1 year: $5300. 2 years: $8000, 3 years: $10,100 and 4 years: $12,300. Transferable to next owner or money back for the unused portion. Question is: Are these good prices and would you do it?

4. Look at the car's photo...does that little left rear window always stay up or what? It was delivered like that.

5. I've perused many of the California threads and just wondering if you have any particular or special advice for me???

More questions to come!!!

Thanks, Jay
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hit the window down button again to put the back windows down. Are those license plate brackets?

3. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks, Keith. That takes care of #4. I've gotten out the owner's manual and will study it this weekend. I did read that you can lower or raise all four windows at once using the retractable hardtop button...(pushing it quickly twice to open them all and holding down to close them all) but I didn't try that.

I thought those plastic pieces might be license plate brackets also but I don't know how they would be installed. The back is OK as is. How would it go on the front I do not know yet.

Thanks again, Jay

4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Those are the European and American (the smaller one) license plate holders. Either would need to be drilled into the front lip of the car, which is why you found them in the trunk...I have a Plateclip for my front plate, which sadly hasn't been available for others for the past year. I have the same car, and feel the window issue may be a software glitch if cycling it a couple times does not make it go up and down (when I take the roof down, it goes down with the other windows)

5. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    If you are going to keep the car for a while, get the 4 year warranty IMHO

6. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Congrats btw on the new car! If it were me and I lived in a state that required a front license plate I'd still not install it... Looks so much better without IMO.

Beautiful car, enjoy! Mine arrives in January.

Keith

7. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Congrats on the car. You are going to love driving it.

So on #1, that is related to the satellite radio and the antenna associated with it.

On #4. Definitely on the extended warranty. The price is what it is. One stop in to Ferrari out of warranty will cost a great deal. The other piece is if u let it go out of warranty, Ferrari will require u to get it certified to put it back on to warranty which is around 5k I believe.

On number 5. Drive the heck out of the car and don't worry about miles. Also, use the battery tender when parked in the garage as it helps keep out electric gremlins when the battery gets depleted.

Have fun Jay and welcome to the family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I will agree regarding buying the warranty.

I have yet to instal the front plate...

And yes drive drive and grin!!!

Welcome!

John

9. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    When I lived in Texas, for both relocation tours with Texas plates, never would I put the plate on the front. I kept it in my trunk. :) unsightly, don't mess with texas

10. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My '12 Cali came with a plate holder that clips to the grill but I still don't use it. However you may live in a community where the police are not so friendly (I had three other words in mind but don't want to be banned :D). If so be sure to donate $$ to their various funds, that will help. In Columbus Ohio, the downtown area there is a meter maid with a vengeance for any nice car with no front plate. The Ohio Highway Patrol has picked me up once and couldn't see how one might possibly put a front plate on so he let me go.

Beautiful Cali! Drive the snot out of it. You can either worry about depreciation or drive and have fun. I choose the latter. It took me maybe four months to really get used to the power and rate of acceleration with that engine.

11. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Congratulations! I would agree with the answers others have already given. I'd also be interested in your compare/contrast impressions to your 575. I think 550/575s are getting close to the bottom of their depreciation curves and wonder if they would be a good V-12 entry point.

12. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Congratulations on the new Cali! She's beautiful. We have the same color scheme :)

13. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks all.

Windows work find.

So, those are license plate brackets. I will not be doing any drilling. I have my old one for the 575 that screwed into the towing lug. It worked very well but the shaft is too long for this one. I may just keep this unit in the vehicle and if stopped, show it.

I intend to keep this car for at least 4 years. The warranty seems like a good thing then. I'll look into that further.

I did hook up the Ferrari battery tender and it works...took 24 hours to turn green. I used a Ctek 3300 on the 575 and it worked very well too. Had to because the battery (new one) would go limp if you did not drive it for a week or two. Didn't like that.

Thanks again, everyone. I'll be posting more. Jay

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The Cali battery will last certainly 3 weeks, maybe more although mine NEVER sits that long :D even in the winter here in NW Ohio. Snow predicted possibly tonight :D but it will not be sticking.

15. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Rick:

I know all about Ohio weather as I lived near Cincinnati for a lot of years. That's why I'm out here in Southern Utah now.

Jay

16. ChuckStyl5

ChuckStyl5 Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    The Armpit
    #16 ChuckStyl5, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As for the Warranty i believe there is some mis information. The extended warranty that is exactly as the new warranty can only be added for 2 years. After that another 7 years can be added but only cover major mechanical. Those prices are great i would just get some clarification first. See attached document.

17. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    I would get the 4 years warranty. +3 years for only 7k on top!

But what does "money back for unused portion" mean?

18. ChuckStyl5

ChuckStyl5 Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    The Armpit
    To my knowledge Ferrari does not give money back for the unused portion - I know Bentley does and its all prorated. Ferrari does not - I highly suggest you go back to your sales person. Quick question -- Did you purchase this from a Ferrari authorized dealer??

19. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    ChuckStyl5

Thanks for your extended warrantee info. I purchased this from The Auto Gallery in Los Angeles. They were an Ferrari authorized dealer until a little while back. They sold this car new. Pretty big outfit out there with, I think, about 5 exotic dealerships. The warranty they are offering is not Ferrari's.

I'm calling Wynn's in Las Vegas who IS an authorized dealer where I always get my work done. I'll inquire as what they can offer through Ferrari and get the prices. I'll also call the Gallery and compare what they are offering. Should be interesting.

ConnyF

The Gallery's offer indicates if you take a 4 year warranty and then sell the car in 2 years, they will refund a portion of he unused time. I'll ask more about that also because it can also be transferred to the new owner.

I'll find out more and see what the results are.

Jay

20. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I have decided that the expense of the extended warranty is not worth the money charged. Of course, I'll never know if that's true unless something serious does not happen!! I'll see if that is the right decision as time goes by. It's a gamble like everything else!

Thanks all, Jay

21. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    jay:
    the warranty price may be negotiable.
    insurance will prove to be a great deal if your car has problems later on!