Run Flats | FerrariChat

Run Flats

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by jay575, Nov 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Just wondering if anyone has gotten run flats for the California. Mine only has 3,000 miles on them so I am not looking...just wondering about the pluses and minuses concerning them.

Jay

2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    It is hard to name a plus for them.
    -- They make the car ride and handle much worse due to their additional unsprung weight.
    -- They won't help you if you have a sidewall failure
    -- In most situations you get a slow leak due to a puncture from a nail or screw. In that case, your on board TBD system will give you ample warning so that you can take action with a sealant and/or pump

3. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    I can't think of one positive thing to say about run-flats. Mine were
    off within 100 miles.

4. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well, I always carry a hole puncture kit and that should suffice 90% of the time. Never had run-flats and just was wondering.

5. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    I had "run craps" on other vehicles...as everyone stated. They suck. Rough ride and they can even bend the wheels.

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    An advantage here in NW Ohio as I have snow tires on an extra set of wheels. Disadvantage is that stupid pot holes have destroyed a few FF wheels. If I get a flat in the Cali or FF I call to get someone to stop at the house to pickup a opposite season wheel/tire, jack, socket, torque wrench, and impact wrench and I sit by the road waiting to change the tire. I've met a few nice people while waiting in the snow :D

7. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Not worth it. Can't remember when someone I know or I had a "real" flat. I've had to plug up about 4 tyres over the last 10 years due to screws, but that's it. If you hit pothole big enough to give a tyre a "snake bite" or pinch flat, well it might help. But then again, if you hit something hard enough, there's a big chance you ruin the wheel and then the run flats won't help you. Of course, if you live in an area where people tend to shoot at your tyres, they will provide a better means of escape:D

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If I may, let me reframe the Q this way - would you get run flats for your wife's (or hubby or daughter or dad or…) car given that spare tires seem to be going the way of the dodo?

While I'm up for a bit of roadside adventure every now & again - and also met nice strangers in this way when I owned POSs in my younger days - the thought of my wife waiting by the side of the road in 100+ deg. Texas heat for a tow truck or roadside assistance worries me. Additionally, one doesn't have to get too far west of the DFW Metroplex before you're in a lot of cell phone dead zones.

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Nope, she can call AAA except for the dead zones. Never run flats. I admit driving cross country would be a problem but still no run flats. Worst case when in the boondocks I'd call Tire Rack and have a new tire overnighted and have the car towed to someplace safe. Then call Ferrari Club of America to see who the closest FCA leader is to attempt to borrow a wheel from someone to limp to a place of safety then overnight a wheel/tire from home. I did that with a Porsche 928 with a bum fuel pump on the road once and the PCA folks did a great job getting a dealer with a pump to open up on a Sunday and a local member drove the pump to me, didn't even have to pay for it until later. I would do the same for any FCA member within 106.3 miles of here.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, Rick. I guess joining AAA and another car club sounds like the thing to do!…T