My 12 month California T odyssey | FerrariChat

My 12 month California T odyssey

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Udaverea, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For my first Ferrari I placed a deposit just after the first preview video was released by Ferrari in February, and well before the Geneva show earlier this year. I had been tracking the talk of a redesign and when I saw the new lines I decided it was time.
    I requested a late January slot, coinciding with my birthday. Looks like late January or early February according to my dealer.

Had a convention in Las Vegas in April and went early and took 9 laps on the Exotics Racing track in a 458 Italia, my first drive in an FCar.

With my deposit making me official, my wife and I went to Italy in May and took the factory tour. I highly recommend that if you have not yet experienced it.
    Got to see the last of the Cali 30s and the first of the Cali T's lined up in final assembly interspersed with Italias, Spiders and Speciales.

Next was a trip to New York and an appointment with the Atelier staff. Also highly recommended. This helped us with our final decisions.

Then it was to Atlanta to the travelling event to have a drive and hands on. I literally had chills several times that afternoon. Could not stop smiling.

The initial request for a January delivery seemed to work out with my desire for CarPlay and front and rear cameras, based on chat here regarding those options in early builds.

I modelled mine after some silver F12s I liked in Google image searches and AutoGestpot, and I went with black front grill (some have mentioned it sportier, I agree), Charcoal interior, but wanted closer to a 2-tone look, so I made the central tunnel Nero and kept the LED steering wheel Nero also. Will be my DD, and I like the 19 in wheel look the best anyway (not popular on this site I have noticed, but this is for me) and feel better with more sidewall for everyday.

So now I am at Red 10 with the choices below. I'm so excited.

Exterior Argento Nurbergring
    Interior Charcoal
    Carpet Nero

Color for Central Tunnel CTU4 Nero
    Horse stitched on headrest EMPH Grigio Chiaro
    Special contrasting stitching STC2 Filo Speciale Rosso
    Yellow rev counter RPMY
    Brake calipers in Rosso CorsaCALR
    Magneride MADM
    Full-electric seats RSFE
    CF steering wheel with LEDs LEDS
    US Visibility Package VIEH
    Apple CarPlay ACPL
    Scudiera shields LOGO
    Foldable rear seats SKPA
    Heat insulating windscreen HAW1
    Aluminum footrests PLAL
    CD reader CDRE

...the anticipation builds...

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Dave...Great story. Can't wait to see pics...T

3. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It actually all started with the steering wheel.

I was visiting Portland, OR and had some time to kill when I arrived, and decided to stop in the Ferrari dealer, just curious, something different. I looked at a red Cali, a black 458 Italia, then sat in an FF. I sat in it for a half hour, mesmerized by the LED steering wheel. Having a software company, I was fascinated by the combination of design and engineering in the steering wheel and controls on it. Elegant and functional. After I left, I starting envisioning, on an ongoing basis, seeing a steering wheel just like that every morning and evening, at least...

I got home from my trip a couple of days later and told my wife than in a couple of years I would likely get a Ferrari. She suggested that if I was going to get a Ferrari, it would be better to get it sooner than later and enjoy it. I had to go along with that concept!

That was the fall of 2013.

LDM spoke often about passion and driving, and I identified with the idea of looking forward to each time in the car as an event...

...so here I am, anxiously awaiting.

4. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Congrats. She sounds absolutely beautiful. Love the colors you selected.

5. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Dave, Totally agree with you, I am awaiting my first Ferrari , also a T, The first time I drove one, I had the biggest smile on my face ! Your wifes sentiment is exactly what I thought a year ago, when there was just a whisper about the car, and now within a week or so I will have one as a daily driver :)

6. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Great story, congrats!

7. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Great color! We picked Argento as well. It is a very elegant look.

Congrats and welcome to the "nervous parents waiting room". :D

8. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks, I've been tracking all the Cali T activity in these threads, good to finally be in the waiting room. Mostly. May need to send out for food. And fruit...

9. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I hear you man... I was at Status 60 last week and am hoping the car gets here by the end of the year. Probably not, but that's what we're all here for, right. To help each other. :)

10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Ha!

11. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I may be the only one in the history of Ferrari to NOT expedite my initial order, requesting it be delivered in late January or early February 2015 when I placed my deposit in February of 2014. That being said, it's still brutal waiting... But will be my most anticipated birthday present. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice...

12. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I waited for CarPlay and Carbon Fiber Cup Holder. Plan on holding onto this car for a long time so I wanted it just right.

13. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    It will be great, Dave!

And what a great birthday present!!!

I waited for CarPlay, but I didn't get the CF cup holder... Maybe I should cancel!

14. ctome3

ctome3 Karting

Aug 19, 2014
    Ridgefield, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom E
    Hey there Udaverea! Congrats in advance on the new car! As it turns out I will be buying a California T from that same Portland Ferrari dealer (which incidentally has relocated since you visited).

Also as it turns out, I have not expedited my order either... I put my deposit down in July but I will very likely have one of the first MY2017 builds. It is a long time to wait but that was the deal I struck with the significant other, so wait I shall. :)

Enjoy it in good health!

15. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Tom, that's great! It's exciting to lock it in, even that much more in advance. You have a lot of beautiful roads in your part of the country to enjoy it on.

16. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Hound Dogs dont Cancel, they hunt fruit flys :)

17. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For the next phase in my 12 month odyssey I'm strongly considering a full body wrap with Expel Ultimate before I pick my Cali T up from Ferrari of Atlanta, which is around 400 miles away from my home (travel distance, not as the bat flies), would feel better about having it be my DD and about driving it home from the dealer in late January or early February. Expel seems to have a major location in Atlanta, anyone used them? This is all new to me. Thanks in advance.

18. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In any event, I've already started scouting out longer routes to the office and back, definitely going to maximize my time behind the wheel. Looking forward to complaining about having to buy new tires...

19. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    You made me laugh out loud! :D

20. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    All this waiting is driving us batty...

21. ctome3

ctome3 Karting

Aug 19, 2014
    Ridgefield, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom E
    Fixed? :)

22. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good one. Fruit, or brown bat. But not a white fruit or a white bat, to some...

23. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I prefer to call my white bats the lone ranger . wait a moment Marmist, the loan ranger road a white Ferrari and wore all white. His faithful side kick was in brown.

24. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lucky for me the Lone Ranger's horse was named Argento (in Italia)...

25. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Haha! You guys are cracking me up. Like a bunch of batty fruit flies in the dog days of summer...

:D

When do you take delivery?