Which red to choose? | FerrariChat

Which red to choose?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Lime1, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    Just thinking of ordering a California T to replace my DBS. Use the back seats for my 2 young boys so I need a 2+2. I initially liked the California Rosso on the launch car but it carries a premium option price. I also think perhaps it looks a bit less sporty than Rosso Corsa. Is it an option worth going for or should I stick with Rosso Corsa (or some other red)? Whilst I also liked the blue would be my first Ferrari so I reckon I have to go red.

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    The beauty of specing a new Ferrari, is that you don't HAVE to do anything. Get the color which you want, do not worry about the other people. If you love Rosso Corsa get it, there are many blues available. I selected Nero Daytona, it is also my first car, I have always had black cars and that what I wanted.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Take a look thro the picture thread slightly lower down and see what floats your boat most

4. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    +1

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    In addition to the Cali pix thread, there is a recent thread by caligirl that has some pics of Rosso California, a color which I do not recall seeing on the pix thread…T

6. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    #6 jumpinjohn, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Rossa California.

Unless you prefer a different red.. :D

7. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Get what you like. Imvso, there are reds that lends themselves much better to the shapes and contours of the Cali than Rosso Corsa. I tend to find RC a bit well, boring. Rosso California is nice, Caligirl posted some nice pics of her car. Rosso Fiorano and Rubino Micalizzato are two of the most gorgeous reds Ferrari produce. If you want to spend the extra coin, Rosso Maranello would be great as well. Not sure about Rosso Fuoco on a Cali.

8. fc3288

fc3288 Karting

Oct 11, 2014
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Absolutely recommend California Rosso. I first though at the regular Ferrari red but I placed my order at California Rosso and to be sure, I have no regret to pay the premium when I saw the actual dealer car at California Rosso last mont. It is gorgeous. I also have the top at Nero

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    How would you describe Cali Rosso vs Rosso Corsa??

10. caligirl

caligirl Rookie

Jan 28, 2012
    South FL
    #10 caligirl, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Most people who see our Cali T in Rosso California call it candy apple red. It is highly metallic and shows itself as a deep multi-layer color in bright light. Rosso Corsa is not metallic and is a bright, Ferrari classic red. Here's a not-so-great picture of these two colors side-by-side as they are the colors of our "garage sisters"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I like the Rossa California :)

12. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!! Thanks for the replies. Caligirl, your car looks great and the Rosso California with beige tradizione was my original choice. However the brighter red of the corsa has grown on me. I suppose I'll just have to toss a coin when it becomes time to confirm my spec. My spec list has certainly racked up the price and I think I was wondering if it was worth paying for the metallic red or trying to reel back in some of my spending if I'm happy with the solid corsa. BTW was the thicker band of black on your seats between head rest and body part of the piping option or some other option as I like the look?

13. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I went through the same process a few months back. This being my first Ferrari I was leaning heavily towards Rosso Corsa (I won't be a Ferrari customer that trades up every two years). I had a 458 Spyder on order that I eventually backed out of because I didn't fit with the roof down. I'm 33 years old. So I wanted a color that said "sporty" in my mind. I saw Rosso California in person at the Ferrari North Anerica launch in NYC in July. To me, it was a beautiful color but seemed more "elegant" for me than Rosso Corsa. Rosso Corsa, again to me, seemed sportier and classic Ferrari. To each their own, that's the beauty of it! I see a lot of cars getting Rosso Corsa, but that's why they call it resale red. Because I wanted "sporty" over "elegant" I went with Rosso Corsa. I also went with a lot of carbon fiber and no chrome grill for that same reason.

That's just a look into my psyche and journey, but hopefully that helps.

You can see my build just a few threads down from this one. It also has all three pictures from the factory during the build phase so you can get a decent idea of what Rosso Corsa looks like on the car.

Either way your car will be beautiful! Congrats!

14. caligirl

caligirl Rookie

Jan 28, 2012
    South FL
    The black near the head rest comes standard with the black backed seats but is a special order if you do not have black backed seats.

15. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    To me the standard black pieces look great and break up the monochromatic look very well with the T (vs the Cali/Cali 30).

16. letsplay99

letsplay99 Karting

Mar 28, 2013
    two kids dont fit in the back of the DBS? I thought it had back seats?

17. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
  18. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I just came from seeing a Corsa Red California T. It is spectacular. But you won't go wrong with either one.

19. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    They fit into the back seats of the DBS but we just fancied a change and there's actually slightly more room for them in the back of the Cali T.

20. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    Thanks Keith. I agree with your comments and like you thought the rosso california (whilst looking great) looked more elegant than sporty whilst the rosso corsa is the other way round. I initially opted for rosso california as I wanted something a bit different and I do like the metallic red. I wanted something different to corsa which seemed the most common colour plus my mate has a 360 that colour. I think however I'm leaning to the more sporty look. I'm not planning to trade up either every year or two and want to try and get it right first time especially as it's my first Ferrari. Like you I also chose a lot of CF and black grill for the sporty feel. So I think I'm edging towards corsa. With the money I save I can then buy an aftermarket Capristo system and 200 cell cats to try and get the noise I want from it. Hopefully they'll have a system in a few months time. The sound is the one area where my DBS beats the Cali T hands down.

21. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Good taste mate! :)

22. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I saw today CaliGirl's Rossa California T and it did indeed look very Elegant !

23. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    Looks like we share similar tastes! Your car looks fabulous and the spec list is pretty similar to mine. I was happy with the standard seats but same beige trad with red stitch. Like you, I'll put on protective film and will use self-healing Suntek film. I am considering putting a black wrap on the roof (prob either matt or carbon) which is cheaper than factory paint option and removable if I want a change.

24. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thanks! :). I can't wait to see it in person in hopefully 5-6 weeks!!!

25. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    #25 Lime1, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Is that delivery by sleigh and a fat guy in a rosso corsa outfit? Hope it fits down the chimney!! :)