California T on track | FerrariChat

California T on track

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MAKHNO, Dec 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MAKHNO

MAKHNO Rookie

Mar 24, 2014
    Hi, I am serious considering a Cali T, but I have in vain tried to figure out how it is on a race track.
    Have anybody tracked one which had the magneride dampers and maybe even with r-compound tires like Michelin CUP2.

It would also be interesting to know if anyone previously had 911 997 gen2 PDK and moved to the Cali T, what impressions, even if it wasn't on track.

Sincerely,

Michael

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    If you are serious about tracking, buy a 430 or 458, the GT will track but not like a Porsche.

3. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree with Mitchell, The Cali is not intended for tracking although some may do so.

I had a 911 997 gen2 PDK and purchased a Cali 30. Kept them both for some time and then eventually let go of the 911 since it just wasn't getting much drive time. Totally different feel - the 911 seems more immediate and the seating is in front so you just feel more in tune with the road. The steering is more quick and it also follows the grooves in the road more. Steering is much firmer and feels more direct to me. I prefer the DCT on the Cali to the PDK when in auto mode.

The Cali has that engine in front, so you don't get the close up view of the road as in the 911. It is much smoother ride, the hard top makes for quieter rides with the top up. It just gets things done without much fanfare whereas the 911 really lets you know it is getting things done - more raw feeling perhaps? And then the sound track is really great in the Cali.

We like the Cali 30 so much that we have ordered a T which should be on its way stateside now. Best to go drive one. That is what sold us on it.

John

4. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
  5. MAKHNO

MAKHNO Rookie

Mar 24, 2014
    #5 MAKHNO, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    Let me explain a bit further.

My current lineup of cars is this:

430 Scuderia
    BMW E46 M3 CSL
    BMW E63 650i
    BMW F10 530D
    BMW i3

Previous:
    Porsche 991 GT3
    Porsche 997 Gen2 Carrera S PDK
    BMW Z4 (completely rebuilt for tracking with twin-screw supercharger, big brake, suspension, Drexler LSD, etc)

I moved to Ferrari from my 991 GT3 because of the burning engine stuff and the worst handling of this situation Inhave ever experienced in my life of any purchase ever, but that's a different story.

So the only Ferrari I have ever driven is my Scud.

It is the only car I have ever driven or been a passenger in, which made my CSL not being an event to drive - going from the 991 GT3 to my CSL made me smile.
    Going from the Scud to the CSL, made the CSL feel like a 5-series low noise soft cruiser.

Love, love LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEE the sound and feel of the Scud.

I have 16 years of track day driving on my belt and have celebrities like Tom Kristensen and VLN drivers (Nürburgring) as instructors - my Ring record is 7,52:50

BUT, here in Northern Europe most tracks are now maximum 95dB and when I track the Scud I am constantly being black flagged for noise.
    So I have to short shift and also can't floor it on the straits.
    So when you finally take a V6 non-tuned Mustang or Reneault Clio in a corner I hit a straight and need to lift and is overtaken again, and have to sit behind them through tight corners.

I have so much fun tracking the CSL, I had very much fun in my 997.2 C2S and was still not on its limit at the ring, and they are no where near as focused as the Scud.

I have been looking at the 458 Speciale, but I don't like the looks of the 458 in general, the Speciale is better with all its wings and aero, but even though it is less noise than the Scud it is still so loud that the few tracks you are allowed to drive it, noise limits it to 10 min pr hour.

Here in Denmark we are so fortunate to have just over 200% sales tax on cars, so buy one pay for three.

This means I like to use my cars as much as possible - did 18.000KM in my Scud from start April to end September.

But I have a daughter who is 16 months old, which means I can only take the Scud when I am going somewhere alone, since there's is no room for three. And when visiting friends and family on weekend trips 350km away, we end up in the 5-series diesel.

So leads me to the California T:

1. It's a drop-top and I am sooooo missing that since my Z4 - and is constantly looking for an extra car to do open motoring

2. It has four seats so will handle trips with my family

3. It can be driven at 10/10 on track days (due to Eddie Murphy putting bananas in the exhaust), instead of a Scud or Speciale at 6/10 - so California can be thrown sideways through corners, while Scud/Speciale is bumbling along

4 . Less important, but the CaliT would remove my need for a separate drop-top, it would be the track car instead of the Scud and I could get rid of the 530D which we use maximum once a month for family trips on the other side of the country.

The Scud/speciale would require the two other cars as well - even though the Speciale here in Denmark would cost me DKK6,5 mill, that is approx. USD1,1 mill - I need to add the cost of the 530D and a drop-top (maybe M4 cab)

So the Cali T with CUP2 tires like the Speciale and 991 GT3 - also what I have on the Scud - with the magneride dampers and the car in ESC Off would that be more fun than a 997.2 C2S.

A lot of ramblings of first world problems, but is really confused as to the road forward.

6. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #6 MisterMaranello, Dec 24, 2014
    +1

Cali T is not a car you would stick R tires on. It will probably be fun at a tday once as an occasion, but that is not what the car is set up to do.

If you are looking for a Ferrari to track, look at a CS, Scud or Speciale. The Cali T is not the car for you. A good friend has a Scud, and he has no problems with noise levels on track days. He laps the Nordschleife in low 7:30's with Corsa tires. He test drove the Speciale on our local circuit, and be said the Scud feels much more visceral and race car-like than the Speciale which is very easy to drive. Another friend drives a 458 Challenge, and he said his braking points in the Speciale are very close to the Challenge. Pretty impressive.

I'm not saying the T a bad handling car, not at all. It's incredibly dynamic, but it is not a track day Ferrari.

Since you are in Denmark, why don't you lease the car instead of purchasing considering the registration fee is much less?

7. agustinush777

agustinush777 Rookie

Aug 29, 2014
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    AG

I like this

8. MAKHNO

MAKHNO Rookie

Mar 24, 2014
    My ring time of 7,52:50 is in my 997.2 C2S.
    Have been at the Nürburgring twice with the Scud, but first time there was a VLN race, the second time was a week before the 24H event and the track was closed for preparations, so haven't tried the Scud there yet.

And yes, I agree the Scud is much, much more special than the Speciale.
    I have borrowed the dealer demo Speciale, but when you arrive in a Scud and move to the Speciale, it just falls short.

I have a build slot for a Speciale in February, but I am more and more convinced it is a bad move.

Noise is not a problem at the Ring or Spa, but almost every track in Scandinavia is.

I was in the Atelier near Harrods in London a few weeks ago, to see the Cali T in the flesh and the salesman there told me the Speciale has been banned on most tracks in the UK.

Maybe look at it this way: will the Cali T be better on a track than a M4 cab or my old 997.2 C2S ?

9. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #9 MisterMaranello, Dec 24, 2014
    If it's of any help, Ferrari do offer a track-specific exhaust for the 458 which cuts the noise somewhat (unsure of Speciale availability, but it is Genuine part for the 458), but it is not road legal. The Speciale has received some flak in the UK concerning its noise level comparatitve to many track day limits. Fortunately the selection of curcuits in the UK is broad and there are venues with no noise limits at all.

If the noise with the Scud is hampering your track day experiences, picking up a Speciale certainly won't make it any better. If you want an all out track day car that can be used everywhere, you'll need to look away from Ferrari and into more niche manufacturers.

I can't speak from direct experience. But will the T be better track car than a C2S? Instinct tells me no. Better than an M4 Cab? Yes, and by far judging by the general reviews that car has received. My friend with the Scud is a many year M client, and he did not like the M4. It felt bland.

If it helps drawing the picture any clearer for you; the Cali T is much more a competitor to the likes of the Bentley CGT V8 and Mercedes SL63 than it is to a 911 Cab. Do you see many SL's and CGT's on trackdays?

The Scuds a keeper if you ask me. Sell your 650i, 530d and change your Speciale allocation to a Cali T one. Between the Scud and Cali T you'll have a lovely balance between a visceral weapon and a lovely all around sports car.

Whatever you do - hang on to your CSL, those are absolute gems.