why is the California growing on me? | FerrariChat

why is the California growing on me?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by rob lay, Dec 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    to be honest when the California first came out I was just OK with it. thought it looked great from some angles and so-so other angles.

lately (not sure how much is getting older and 8 yo daughter) I have started to appreciate the California more and more.

I love the looks of the 599 and the California isn't too far off. It also doesn't have the BIG car look of the 612.

all cars hard top spiders? were there any manuals? what are the different special editions and production counts?

thanks,
    newb

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I believe I read there were only 8 manuals ever made of the cali.

Robb

3. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Rob,
    Funny, I just went through the same thought process and I ended up buying a 2014 Cali. I was the last person to buy a Cali, but with three kids under 12 years old. It makes sense. I have my race car for the weekends and the Cali to cruise around town.
    It's a great car and I don't regret it.
    The car is surprisingly fast.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's a big endorsement from you! :) we appreciate having the back seat.

5. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've liked the Cali since first laying eyes on it. Almost brought one home a couple years ago. Intend to try again next year if all goes well. Hope the dealer doesn't talk me out of it this time.

6. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    avoid 2009/2010.
    get a cruise control equipped one.
    If possible a 30.
    Black on Black.

what an honor to have you in this infested by me section.

7. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #7 gatorgreg, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

With the redesigned rear end and the side by side exhaust, it looks great.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What is first year of redesign?

10. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Marmist, you should advise Rob about getting a MSA prior to any purchase. Why dont you share your feelings on colors :)

11. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
  12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My favorite is actually the Cali 30. Cali T isn't as fun a drive in my opinion. Too disconnected. I don't find the T any more visually appealing either. They're both attractive.

13. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I have never driven a 30 but i have had my T for about 10 days now and have put about 800 miles on her. She is Tite, true on the road, and an absolute thrill to drive. Visually, is very subjective, however the T, is a GREAT road car, fast, nimble, and beautiful. My car has magnaride and has never left the sport position. The car can track on a time, and at the same time be a polished road car. IMHO

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    If you are looking to buy an existing I would recommend the 2013 or 14 cali30 with the HS (handling package) it provides a little more sports feel with slightly tighter suspension and quicker steering. I had a 2011 which is prior to either of these packages (i.e. non 30 and non HS) and it was great but the 2013 30HS ,I had was noticeable better. I have not driven the T however so no comment on that.. I sold mine but it really was a great car... may end up with another.....

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The T was a great drive was a little too good and a little too quick. It's zippy like a modern porsche but with tons more personality of course. It's a great car and I had fun driving it. But the 30 you can dig into a little deeper, feels a little more seat of the pants exhilarating.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what does the 30 represent? all 2013 and 2014's are 30's?

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    IIRC the 30 signified that it was 30 kilos lighter & 30 more hp than previous Cali models. Also, I recall a web page that decoded the VIN (can't lay my hands on it right now) & from that you could tell whether it was a Cali 30 or not...T

18. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    #18 Gofast430, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I met you at the Crescent Classic in 2013. I had a F1 430 Spider but took my 2013 California
    and the 430 this year. I did not what to expect from the Cali but it was every bit as enjoyable on the Arkansas roads. Handling was quick and responsive and there was plenty of power.
    You would probably really enjoy the Jeykle and Hyde disposition of the 2013 or 2014
    California.
    The 30 designation in the 2013 and 2014 models indicate a decrease of about 50-60# in weight of the car
    and an increase of torque and horsepower of about 30. Also magnaride suspension was in almost all 30's.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    looks great!

do the 30's have same body as the earlier ones? only the T has different body?

20. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    rob: the body style of the cali 30 is identical to the prior (initial) version of the vehicle.
    i too, just bought a '14 cali.
    i think the exhaust note of the '14 is superior to the new turbo.
    and the price was substantially less than the '15.

21. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Rob...I have a 2011 Cali and we really enjoy the car. Ours is a factory bi-color car with black a-pillars/top and Grigio Silverstone body. In fact we drove it to the FCA Christmas Party last weekend. If you would like to drive it sometime just let me know and we can meet up.

22. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    The Cali was not produced with bullet proof glass, evasion oil slick deployment devices or curb feelers. You will need to move from S'Lake to C'ville if you buy one.
    :))
    Happy Holidays

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    They did make the silver fender grills standard in the Cali30 as a discriminator but seems a lot of buyers elected to have them painted the color of the body.

24. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

The '15 model (called the "T") has a different front bonnet/hood, it has side aero features and a different back end. It is also a Turbo.

The other models were the original style and the "30" modifications have been described.

I think the '15 is a significantly different car. I think it takes it to another level. I drove the old Cali and loved it. Can't wait to try the new one.

25. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    all 2013 and 2014 californias in the US are the 30s which has already been described the first body change is the 2015T ... the HS package was available with the 2013 and 14 and is normally designated by the silver gills and grill (although they could be painted body color)