2 BRAND NEW Ferrari Californias stalling with electronic failure | FerrariChat

2 BRAND NEW Ferrari Californias stalling with electronic failure

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mattz, Dec 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mattz

mattz Rookie

May 5, 2014
    Hey guys, I was wondering if any one else of you have experienced this dangerous issue with the california, I have a 2010 and a 2014 California 30, both new and both have stalled mutiple times while driving in motion. While about 30mph and making a turn the power steering locked, the brakes lost pressure and all the electronic systems simply failed and shut off. Ferrari of Vancouver gave us hope that they would return our money or get the problem fixed and convinced us to buy another california (the 30) and before 500 miles of driving the car stalled as well. They are now blaming us for "modifying" the car even though they were the ones who dis connected the exhaust valves. Ferrari is not taking responsibility for anything and we don't know what to do, we don't feel safe driving this car anymore. The car even ran on half the cylinders are times. Ferrari of Vancouver now has turned us away without fixing the problem, ferrari north america won't even give us an answer or our money back.

2. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Haha, that's awesome!
    They told you they'll fix the problems or money back?
    And you ended up with another California, bought from the same dealer, with the same problems?!
    Is this really true? lol

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Have you tried restoring the original exhaust configurations to see if it fixes the stalling problem?

4. mattz

mattz Rookie

May 5, 2014
    yessir, we got the first batch of 2010 Califronias and than a brand new 2014 california 30. the day of delivery for the 2014 the roof decided to break and not work... have had horrible experience at ferrari and maserati of vancouver, they said they would give us money on friday and they still haven't transferred any money, VERY unprofesional.

5. mattz

mattz Rookie

May 5, 2014
    Yea nothing helped, plus the old 2010 was bone stock haha. No their supposed to wire money over but said they would do it on friday but aren't giving us our money at this point... its so stupid. both bought from ferrari and maserati of vancouver both bought new too. the other car with the problem was also from FMOV.

6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    What were the symptoms inside the cabin. All the idiot lights on? Or no displays??

SV

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Are you not located in Vancouver? Normally a company would issue a company cheque for a refund, not a wire transfer. When I bought my car, I wrote a cheque for the purchase. Did the dealer make any promises to you in writing?

8. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    glad you're laughing about it. must be no real trouble to u.

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This thread is long on rhetoric and very short on salient details. Wonder why.

I can't make much sense of the situation from the curious lack of information. The OP seems to have just joined FChat to complain and ask if anyone else has had this problem when it's easy enough to search the forum. The story seems to just go around in circles, getting nowhere.

So right now, I'm not buying the OP's story because some of what he claims just don't seem credible.

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    sounds very strange however one thing that should be considered on any new Ferrari is to hook the car up to the included battery charger these cars sit and even the slightest low voltage can cause strange things. However I cannot imagine 2 different cars stalling while driving as described ... if it did happen try charging seems to fix most everything especially on a california as the roof raising and lowing even at idle uses a lot of power..

11. mattz

mattz Rookie

May 5, 2014
    Everything just flashes off and back on.

12. mattz

mattz Rookie

May 5, 2014
    Well, both cars didn't have it happen the second we brought it home, the 2010 started having issues about 2 years in under 10,000 miles and the 2014 started having issues under a month of ownership.

13. mattz

mattz Rookie

May 5, 2014
    What doesnt seem credible, if you look on the forum 2 other members have experienced similar issues with their california. Why would i go on here and rant and ask about why two quarter million dollar cars have issues. I have a lawyer now and were working on a lawsuit against ferrari looking for a class representative to start the lawsuit. Quite frankly its dangerous to all california owners considering the cars KNOWN to have this issue are our 2010 my friends 2013 and our 2014. The simple answer is that the car has turned off multiple times while making turn and in motion. ferrari BH has a salesman that has acknowledged the fact that these issues do exist in ALL Ferrari Californias.

14. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Never saw this in four years of cali ownership.

However, symptomatic of a loss of electrical power. As in main rail short so no battery or alternator power.

Did you have any options put on after the factory or changes apart from the exhaust?

SV

15. rjn21

rjn21 Karting

Dec 3, 2013
    UK
    ""+1. Could also be a faulty Earth. Any after market tracking system, radar detector, laser blinder, installed gps, after market audio /MP3 device /Bluetooth or any other hard wired devices? No way that disconnecting the exhaust valves could cause those symptoms. Either the vehicle has an electrical manufacturing defect, the charging system is sporadically inoperative producing low voltage, the battery has died, or something electrical has been disturbed.

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK, so it's now 3 Calis, including the 2013 of your friend's, all within your circle. Interesting.

You say the dealer accused you of modifying the cars when it was the dealer who made the exhaust modifications. Well, that should have been a nobrainer for your lawyer unless you coerced the dealer to make unauthorized modifications. And I did ask you if you tried to restore the original exhausts to see if the problem still occurs but you ignored that obvious question. You also claim the dealer or factory was going to wire you a refund. How did that transpire? It would amount to an admission of guilt and allow any lawyer to easily rectify the dispute for you.

You also say Ferrari BH has a salesman who says the stalling problem affects all Cali models as well as a similar problem affecting 2 members on this forum so why act so coy in your original post?

I agree some owners have experienced engine stalls with their Calis but you would seem to have the worst luck. Obviously you are worked up about something with your car(s) but as it stands, I have a hard time believing what you post because your story keeps changing and gets bigger every time you post. If you want to discuss your problems you need to be more forthcoming with what you know, from the get-go.

17. S15_SAM

S15_SAM Rookie

Nov 18, 2014
    Uk
    Full Name:
    Sam
    It sounds like dealer bashing to me. I've never heard of cali's turning off mid turn. They have their common issues but not that!

What lights flash on and off?

18. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Please PM me the name of the salesman in Beverly Hills, I'd like to talk w. him about "all" California's having this problem... This would be the very first one I have heard of, and I want to get in front of this problem ( if it is one )

S

19. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

His name is James.

20. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I have had my Cali 30 die at a stop light twice. Never while driving/turning etc. That happened a while ago. The dealer did some adjustments - the engine was backfiring too much - I don't know what, but it has not happened since.

I don't drive far, but I drive often and try to plug in the charger every few weeks. Never any problems besides those two instances.

It seems the OP is looking for plaintiffs to join some legal action. Perhaps the salesman in BH is wanting in on the action? I think this board would be lit up if this affected ALL Cali's.

"here fishy fishy..."

John