2010 Cali sells 97k on eBay | FerrariChat

2010 Cali sells 97k on eBay

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mjw02, Dec 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjw02

mjw02 Karting

Nov 14, 2014
    Rancho Santa Fe
    Full Name:
    Marc
  2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I agree, great condition for the mileage from the pictures.

Good to see quality is holding up with some mileage.

3. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    That's a lot of car for the money. I suspect we will be seeing more of these with those kind on miles on them for sale at a decent price.

4. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    People should not be afraid to purchase a 5 year old car with 44k miles, the sad part is that people are afraid to drive the cars because of depreciation.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

it is understandable as it has been a "Ferrari" condition for several decades. the truth it the cars depreciate a good bit if left to reside in the garage and depreciate heavily if you use it. pick your poison.

6. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's a cycle created by the owners themselves. If everyone drove their cars a lot, then it wouldn't make any difference. Unfortunately most don't get to use them enough, hence the ones that do get slammed.

7. mjw02

mjw02 Karting

Nov 14, 2014
    Rancho Santa Fe
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Drive drive drive the cars... i agree. A car over 10k miles is not used up!

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, I think 44k miles over 4-5 years is very good use of the car. Unfortunately for this owner, I have a feeling he/she is looking for a very quick sale... in liquidation fashion.

I suspect this is possibly a divorce, a bankruptcy or immediately moving abroad with no imminent plans to return situation. Otherwise, the owner would have time and would be selling it on Autotrader or would be trading in the car because he/she will need another car.

Selling a very expensive niche item with no reserve on eBay is not a good idea of you want a good selling price because you only get a limited time to flog it and no advertising ahead of the sale. Yes, you will sell the sucker but you will also take a bath because such items are specialized with limited appeal due to the high value and would only get market value in special properly staged auctions or if sold by professionals like car dealers. December is also a low month for convertibles.

9. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    That's the right retail price. I was offered 85-95k by 6 different dealers for my 2010 with 41k mi. Wholesale is right there, just check manheim wholesale auctions and see for yourself. Sorry, but that's reality, folks. Wish it were otherwise. These are not the stress situations. Low month for convertibles, depending on where you live. If you live in a sunny climate, December is prime time. Summer, on the other hand is low market for convertibles. This was a California car on eBay and December is not an off month time of year. That's the market, unfortunately.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, you may be right but there's also a 2010 Cali with 38,750 miles, 19" rims listed for $125,990 in LA. If you list your car on Autotrader, you're competing against used car dealer prices, not wholesale auction or trade-in values.

11. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Great news. In a year or so I'd love to buy a high mileage 2+2 Cali for around 60k.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Would you rather have that or a 360 modena spider with lower mileage? Most are going for the same price.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I said this in 2009 and I still believe it's true

The California will end up being the best loved entry level Ferrari of all time.

Why? Because it modern with modern conveniences and safety, it's dependable, its not high maintenance as Ferrari's go, it's a coupe and convertible (convertibles are always very popular for first Ferrari's), most will be "higher" mileage as they were used as DD's, and they built a lot of them so they will be pretty cheap. The CA will never be a collector car so driving it until the wheels fall off is not an issue.

I would not be surprised if in a few years, higher mileage Cali's can be had in the 60's. Is this a bad thing? I don't think so.

How many first time Ferrari buyers would jump at the chance?

14. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    I suppose you can list for whatever you want and I wish him well. There is a large spread between bid/ask. The california car that sold for 97 was asking 135. If you check manheim, you will see the wholesale and RETAIL prices for various years with low/high miles. A high miles Cali is still a great car(mine runs like a top) but its market value takes a beating. It's a lot of car for someone looking at entry level. I think this will continue to happen until people get used to the fact that Cali, unlike most ferraris and other exotics, is just fine even at high miles.

15. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I might add that in my experience the SoCal market is a bit skewed (generally) - in addition to the dealer starting high (you never know who might walk in and pay ask price, and you can always negotiate), if you buy used in California from out of state, it's a pain in the ass ($) to register the car in-state so it's easier, if pricier, to buy in-state, which is also exacerbated by looking for a lower volume car (eg. Ferrari) vs. a higher supply car (eg.BMW)

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 4th_gear, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    True, list price depends on how dynamic the market is. But equally true, the dealer that offered you $95k wouldn't have been planning to sell it at $95k or even $97k. The fact is that regular Autotrader used car buyers wouldn't compare street prices with Manheim auction prices, whereas eBay auction buyers would, and probably did. "No reserve" auctions are a whole different ball game compared listing a car for sale. "No reserve" means you are desperate to unload. Theoretically the item has to sell, even if you only get one extremely low bid.

When you put a for sale ad in the news paper for some redundant item, do you really think you are competing against a "no reserve" auction where you have to sell the item within a certain period, regardless of price? Really?

17. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Down to 60k in just one year(?)
    Don't think so. ;-)
    But we'll see ....

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've been a bit "sleepy" at the keyboard myself lately but it's very nice to see you on the FChat "ether waves" again... I guess a bit of friendly banter on "First World problems" can serve as a tonic, from time to time! ;)

As for the Cali, I share your sentiments. For me the car is the best fit for a "single fun car" stable, out of all the current FCars. Higher mileage Calis will boost the availability of lower cost maintenance and spare parts because it would encourage entrepreneurs to provide them to the secondhand owner market. Aftermarket tuning might also be encouraged when OEM parts need replacement.

What would be bad for the model (and the marque) is if secondhand owners neglect servicing their cars, do home-made bizarre paint jobs on them or otherwise just drive them in poor condition. That's why a higher entry point can be a good defense and is the reason why I got out of being seen in BMWs altogether.

19. mjw02

mjw02 Karting

Nov 14, 2014
    Rancho Santa Fe
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Like 80s 90s and 2000s Maserati's :)

20. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Good to see you back Mayor...we miss your wisdom.

I agree because the California is very accessible and livable for a much broader audience. As a result, it helps draw people into the brand a much lower price point while stirring interest for future high end models. I can tell you before I bought my Cali, I did not know all the Ferrari models...but I do now. I also think their model line up is very well architected as well. Lastly, because I am now a Ferrari owner, it puts me in good standing to purchase more exclusive models down the road since I now have skin in the game.

What are your thoughts on Sergio taking over Ferrari in terms of impact on depreciation? Does it make the pre-sergio models hold value better?

21. arnaget

arnaget Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jason
    that california was part of the gothamdreamcars (rental) fleet; presumably driven quite hard, but probably as a result, also had some good attention given to it, from a maintenance perspective.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oh good god please don't make me go there...

In a nutshell, having the head of the Fiat group be a pencil pushing accountant stuck with the Chrysler and Fiat brands around his neck cannot be a good thing for Ferrari IMO.

Add that to he's leaving in two years and wants his big bonus as he leaves the door means Ferrari is going to be the cash cow he needs.

I am not optimistic at all, unfortunately. Just look at the ugly sweaters he wears.

23. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Corrected, I am convinced he only has one!

BTW, nice to see you back on Fchat, always enjoy reading your posts.

24. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    I'm not talking about auctions in the abstract. I'm talking specifically about pricing on 2010 Cali's, something I know a little about, since I have been combing the market trying to figure out what the market is, exactly. With or without a reserve, these cars have a very specific value range, depending on miles, condition, etc., at wholesale and retail pricing. Unless you are completely desperate, the car will fetch what it's worth. I have seen no reserve auctions bring more than reserve auctions because they attract more buyers, knowing the car will be sold regardless. The point is that the Cali in california sold at the right number as will mine. As much as I wish I could get more, because it's a great car, despite high miles, it's unrealistic to expect that. High miles exotics get clobbered no matter what. Those who think their cars a very special snowflake are kidding themselves and will see that when they go to sell. These are not rare cars, there are growing numbers of them, so the market is becoming established. It's tough on the sellers and great for buyers because there more sellers than buyers. Simple laws of a free economy, supply vs demand.

25. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Totally agree, and the real issue, is that i feel it is almost imperative to trade with the dealer unless you want a bunch of Ferrari wannabe drivers testing your car. I personally would rather not deal with people and know the dealer will rape me.