Has anyone put a protective wrap on their California T? | FerrariChat

Has anyone put a protective wrap on their California T?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by keithos27, Dec 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    #1 keithos27, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    I've heard the California T's hood is too long for any one sheet of existing protective film on the market. As such, there will have to be lines where a second piece is placed alongside to the first piece to fully cover the hood.

Anyone know of a product/place that can wrap the hood with one sheet, and thus not create any unnecessary lines?

Keith

EDIT: Changed to film :)

2. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    What?

You are going to wrap her?

3. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Protective film for the paint... the clear stuff. Wrong terminology?

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have the full hoods protected with 3M on RS5 and S4. And both front fenders. No seams. guaranteed for as long as you own the car

5. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    That's what I want as well, for the Cali T

6. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Changed it to say film (not wrap). :)

7. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
  8. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thanks Dave! Ferrari of Atlanta were the ones who told me the information above regarding seems… I was hoping the news had changed since I had heard that a few weeks ago. Thus my question to all of you, I was hoping someone on here would know.

Would love to hear what you find out!

9. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sorry, tap:

Show with images

It looks like a full hood...

10. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Nice! The demo at FoA had the seems.

11. OldPhart

OldPhart Rookie

Nov 20, 2014
    How about some wisdom on maintenance. Can you buff/polish a clear wrap? How do you keep it looking as good as the orig paint looks? I'd think little scratches and stuff would accumulate over time.

12. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We should get more info about the installer and the material choice. I'm looking into doing the whole car.

13. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Good luck with the car.

FWIW, we wrap the front end of all our cars. The FF and F12 hoods were (as recently as April of this year) too big for the film to cover without seams. If someone can make the bigger sizes now, that would be great so please let everyone know.

However, both cars were done by a phenomenal installer and, while you can find the seams if you're looking, you can barely notice. Our first 458 was done by the dealer's subcontractor at the time and it was ok, but glad we've found a reputable guru at this stuff (plus, F12 and Speciale are a bit complex to wrap perfectly).

Last, one thing that makes seams stand out is poor detailing; I'm anal and tedious about the finish on our cars, when I look at others its clear that there is wax/residue in the seams which causes them to stand out a bit more.

Hope this helps.

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If it gets scratched a little I use MaGuires plastic cleaner and polish. Works great.

15. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i had my macan wrapped with clearshield 2 months ago.
    it too has a large hood, too wide for a single piece.
    so my installer took the largest piece of clearshield he could get and slowly stretched it, around 4 inches or so, until it would fit.
    there is no cracking or yellowing, thus far.

16. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh I thought maybe you were going to do a black wrap. :D. Hahaha!

17. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Now THAT would get one back inthe running for an MSA for sure. At least a temporary one... ;)

18. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Keith, I will talk Monday with FofA to find out more. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks to everyone else weighing in on this!

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is the hood on the CaliT longer than that on the Cali30? I kind of doubt it. Mine was fully wrapped at the dealer with 3M Venture film. No extra seams.

You should definitely wrap at least the front of the car. There is so much road debris on some roads, especially if you have the misfortune of having some immature "road racer" jump in front and block your progress on a rough road. On those occasions, I had to back off many car lengths because I did not want to eat his road debris or overtake him and risk losing my license or risk an accident.

It would have been nice if I could wrap the windshield as well.

20. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Yes

21. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I was going to do the white wrap but it would void my MSA, so i used SolarTek which was reccomended by the installer here who does most of the high end cars in south florida. Call him and discuss, i did the full front, side doors, bumpers and rocker panels.

Suntek Premium Self-Healing Paint Protection Film ? Florida | Auto SuperShield

22. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Mitchell, are there any seams on your hood?

23. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    This is going to be my first without full film protection...just going with the lower side panels to protect from the tires throwing up stuff...I put modest spacers on so that area is a bit more exposed. I guess it really depends on where you drive.

One man's opinion...far northern climes, some of which might still have soft shouldered gravel, gotta have it. Dark non-metallics (Pozzi, Mugello, Nero, etc.) that show every imperfection...I think a good idea. Lighter colors and metallics in places where the roads are clean and smooth and it doesn't snow, not sure the tradeoff is worth . Keep in mind the film does not protect on a pebble impact (at least in my experience). Of course, now that I'm skipping it, you know what's going to happen...

24. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    No, I would urge you Keith to do the complete hood, I have always had 1/2 way up on the Maseratis and I would always see the seam. The hood is flawless now and one cannot tell it has plastic applied. My installer carries 3m,Xpel, Solarshield etc., however he says this is the best. I also did the windshield, and windows with Photosinc which blocks most of the UV and you do not need the large shields to protect the car and lower the heat. Now, having said that, my top has been down for almost the complete month, i have the car. :)

25. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Perfect! I want to do hood, fenders, front bumper, etc. I got the heat insulating windshield and will do a clear tint to block UV as well. :)