599 HGTE to Cali T? | FerrariChat

599 HGTE to Cali T?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by nickg612, Dec 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickg612

nickg612 Rookie

Aug 20, 2006
    I think I am getting boring having gone from a Scud after 3 years to the HGTE. And now after 3 years of 599 ownership thinking of going to the Cali.

Will somebody tell me if I am mad or not. Anybody done this switch?
    have not driven the T yet.
    Recognising I am posting this in the forum so will get a slightly biased perspective.

Additional thoughts I am having.
    I loved the scud - wish I had not sold it. Tracked it a couple of times but mainly was a weekend car to put a smile on my face. I do miss the thrill.
    599 was intended to be more relaxed / more of a daily driver. At the time I made the switch I did try the original California - but did not find it much better than a 911 to drive (other than the emotional side). I also tried the 458. Found it to be silly (too easy to loose my license) fast but actually slightly too smooth and less exciting vs the scud. And very shouty bAnd vs the 599 I just loved the v12, the refinement and had not had a v12 Ferrari before.
    But the 599 is not getting that much action. I have 2 boys (10 and 7) and so time to just do a weekend drive on my own is limited.
    And I love a convertible.
    True - if money no object I would get the F12 conv. (Have driven the f12 and loved it _ but still very pricey)

I think the T is beautiful.
    I worry about space in back for kids.
    And the driving experience (I don't need a car just for the badge - have alternatives at home - wife uses a 911 cab as daily driver including doing the school runs with 2 kids and a dog)
    Is it a thril to drive (vs "just" very impressive)?
    I live in the UK so no issues about extreme weather.

Not interested in 458 spider (though not really sure why)
    Concept of the FF interesting but can't get my head around the looks. And convertible is very appealing.

Would be in the 30% of California drivers NOT new to the brand :)

All thoughts VERY welcome

Thanks

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Sounds like you are all over the board. If you need/want jump seats, not much else to talk about. confused about the F12 Cab, more refined than the 599 however no jump seats. for me, i would not get a sports car without it being a drop top. thats just me :) the T will give you most of what you want albeit not the soundtrack. Jump seats, Fast, Cab and not bad on the eyes. :)

3. nickg612

nickg612 Rookie

Aug 20, 2006
    All over the board is exactly right - just so much to like about the entire current range.
    And "need" is not really a factor in this purchase

Hence realistically cross shopping most of the range other than 458 (too shouty for me - 599 is Silverstone/ Cuio - sort of stealthly)
    - F12 (top of the tree to me, but only two seats and big jump in price / depreciation even for used vs my 599 - albeit for a much sportier ride)
    - FF (80%+ of the F12 and 4 seats - but looks don't work for me, prices getting reasonable though still plenty to drop)
    - T (Jump seats, Cab are clearly the differenciating aspects of the T and I do think it looks really great now - especially Grigio Titanio or TDF)

If the T were to drive anything close to the F12 then it would be a no-brainer
    So thats probably the key - how does the T compare to the 599HGTE?

4. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    You should go for the T and enjoy it for as long as it works for you. I have traded in my Spider, which was fantastically capable and a very smooth driver (loved it), but just a bit too "in your face" for normal driving and missing some of the daily practical aspects. Now out of my system and on to something else. The new T is much more put together from a handling standpoint than the first Cali (had a 2010)...you can immediately feel the lower center of gravity as well as the improved power. As Royalpar1 says, you might miss the noise as well as the screaming redline. On the other hand, I find it "noise appropriate" given its everyday GT-ish mission...it's not near as raw as what you have now, but effortless torque is right there, right now and it still has some magic.

5. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Well, in the hands of a Ferrari test driver it's 2 seconds slower around Fiorano than your car. About same track time as a 430. Though, in the hands of a just decent driver (as opposed to a pro in race mode with traction off) my guess is they're way closer which ain't bad for a cruiser convertible that shouldn't be on the track in the first place!

6. nickg612

nickg612 Rookie

Aug 20, 2006
    Am certainly not a pro.
    But "feel" is important to me - i.e. 458 time = to Scud time on the track - but - to me at least - Scud was WAY more fun to drive.
    In a Scud I got face splitting grins at times just going 50.
    During a 458 test drive, car is so smooth relative to the Scud that I hit 138 on A road I know very well going past Goodwood - when thought I was keeping it under 100 - dealer had to point it out to me (it explained why he was gripping the dash rather firmly at the time)

So, yes - need to take a T for a proper drive.
    Am certainly tempted though (tempted but unsure enough that I have posted here to solicit thoughts , having lurked since 2006!)

7. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Good luck...agree, 458 is scary easy to go fast in. That's probs another reason I got out before something bad happened! Feel of T definitely much much improved, but a raw mid-engine car it ain't.

8. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #8 intrepidcva11, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nick, my sense if that no California will serve as a car in which to take kids; the back seat is really a parcel shelf, as I think others have commented. So that's no reason to get a Cali. I drove the first Cali at my Ferrari dealer and while I detested the back end shape, liked the car a lot. Of course I did not really have a chance to drive the car hard. Candidly, if I were going to buy any new Ferrari today it would probably be the new Cali T; they've fixed the back end and I like the looks a lot, it's got far more than 'adequate' performance, from what I understand handles excellently and is everything I'd want in a new Ferrari except four too few cylinders, a flaw I could easily overlook having had several 12s.

Assuming you have settled in your mind that you will not ever take more than one child driving with you, why would you not consider a pre-owned 12, a 575M Maranello? To my eye to most beautiful Ferrari design of any since the Daytona, a splendid 12 cylinder engine, all the performance and handling you could ever use on public roads, short of your razor-sharp but somewhat edgy Scud. And a thoroughly comfortable true GT that will take you on wonderful drives all over your sceptered isle. Here are some photos of the 575 and see the last image that compares the 599 and Maranello; your 599 has always looked far too large to my eye.

P.S. that said, if you really like the Cali T, buy it; you won't regret it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    #9 Royalpar1, Dec 23, 2014
    Sorry, my friend but thats just not so. I take my 2 sons (16 +18) around all the time, have put 4 in the car for the toy for tot rally. Do not think of it as a shelf space. A SL has a shelf space. While this is NOT a luxury 4 seater, you can easily do it in a pinch :)

10. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    #10 Royalpar1, Dec 23, 2014
  11. nickg612

nickg612 Rookie

Aug 20, 2006
    thanks guys. Really appreciate the thoughts.

Intrepid: I love the last picture of the 575 nose to nose with the 599. Have seen it one here before. Makes the 599 look massive. And on UK roads it is large. Yours looks great in TDF.

Royalpar: very helpful to see picture your boys in the back. Thank you.
    The One behind you does look as if his nose is quite close to back of front seat.

Two follow up questions if you don't mind:
    Can they sit back there with the roof up?
    Any sense how space compares to a 911?
    I remember thinking when I drove the Cali at launch that it looked smaller than a 911. But that was before we got a 911 cab for my wife and kids are ok back there.

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    With the top up, not sure yet, but for sure, 3 people with top up as we have done that. Having had a 911, this is larger both in car, and in the back seats, so if your kids were comfortable with the back of THEIR seats pitched forward in a 911, they would love this. The nose is not on the seat, but remember, i am the driver and one who is not willing to push my seat way up. I prefer the comfort and safety of me being at proper distance behind the wheel. This car is very similar to a 911 in the way it handles, having said that, I much prefer the Fcar for a bunch of reasons.

13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Definitely more rear passenger space in Cali compared to 911 but the headroom in both are compromised with the top up. The rear seats in the 911 are best suited for bags, I always had the rear backrests folded down in my Carrera S.

14. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Point taken Mitchell, but does the young man with red hair have legs? and is driver's seat well forward? I'm looking at the photo and it is persuasive but I've seen and driven the California and the +2 seats would not make for a comfortable ride of any length for me, certainly not for a rally. There is far more room in the +2 seats of my 412 than those of the California. Different strokes. In all events it's up to a buyer to examine and drive the car, with his children in back, and then to make a decision. I am assuming that Nick will not buy a car without seeing it and trying for himself its suitability for driving with his children. All of that said, I love the new California T.

15. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    The Cali is a great gt car that is good at a lot of things but great at none compared to the rest of the F range. The new Cali T is much more refined than its predecessor but IMO it is too refined and has lost part of the soul of ferarri as a result of the new engine.
    This doesn't make it good or bad it just depends on what YOU want from the ride.
    From your previous rides I don't think a cali t would keep you in smiles for too long.
    But hey this is just my opinion.

16. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Totally agree, The back seat is not spacious, we had 4 in the car, top down for about 3 hours of drive time with rest stops for the Rally. Is it comfortable ? Not great with 4 people, it is usable with 3, it is just available if needed. My seat is not way up, it is up perhaps 2 inches from where I would normally be. This would not be great on a long trip , the kids do have legs, however the 412, or FF much more spacious. The best is the Maserati GT Sport for rear comfort. However compared to a Pcar, it is more spacious. You are correct, if back seats are important take the kids to the showroom and drive the car. What confused me, was he was also looking at a F12?

17. nickg612

nickg612 Rookie

Aug 20, 2006
    Really good dialogue. Helps me push my thinking to get specific.
    And just not a conversation I can get my wife to engage with fully. She supports what'she thinks of as a tolerable weakness but does not get it really.
    So really appreciate the thoughts from you guys.

Yes - was looking at F12. And still a tempting niggle in back of my mind.
    Rational
    + just unbelievably good to drive. Major step forward from the 599. Like a cross between a 599 and a 458 plus some.
    Refinement and excitement. And usefully narrower on UK roads.

- for F12, worried that the excitement may come from being impressed by the technical ability of the car. That's what happened to me with the 599.

Eventually that excitement with the 599'dulled as I got used to the extraordinary refinement and pace. And I did not get to drive it as much as I would like since only 2 seats. And I tend to like cars that I drive more.

Not sure the step forward of the F12 over the 599 is worth the price for basically same thing , a 2 seat v12 GT (could keep the 599 and add a used 458 for the price to upgrade - which is an annoying theoretical option rather than a real one since one Ferrari is enough - I don't have sufficient time to get use out of both)

I guess the appeal of occasional 4 seats and conv is the draw.
    My fear is that the California T would not be sufficiently differentiated from the 911 997 Cab which we have (and would keep) and is a very good drive (but not emotionally engaging at all). That was the case with the original California.

What I also think about is how to get the emotion of the scud from something that is more versatile and less tiring to drive for more than an hour or so. There F12 gets close. But perhaps That's just not possible. Since much of the scud excitement comes from the aspects that make it less versatile.

If California T is more engaging that 599 and provides addition of usable 4 seats and Conv then it's probably eighth way to go. For me anyway.
    What worries me is when the 599 is described as more raw than the T. I would never describe the 599 as raw.
    That's what I need to test when I go for a drive.

It is, after all, an irrational purchase!

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The 599 definitely has an edge the Cali lacks. This is subjective stuff though. IMHO the Cali rear seats just don't look like they were designed very well as seats. There doesn't seem to be any whiplash protection for rear passengers. For a short drive down the local road once in a while this might be acceptable but I would not put my kids back there for longer journeys.

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don’t think this was made clear but just in case, there is no drop top F12. Hardtop only. Also a bit confused as a California customer is usually not the same as an F12 customer. A used F12 will cost twice that of a new California. I think that you are looking for a convertible version of an F12 with four full size seats. This does not exist in the current Ferrari lineup.

As previously suggested, try the California with kids in the back with both top up/down. If it works size wise then a more spirited drive is in order. If it doesn’t do it for you then take a look at the used market. Not sure if you have driven the FF. I didn’t like the side view as it drops off like that but it was done to increase rear seat comfort. I’m starting to like its shape now. Has everything you’re looking for plus AWD but not a convertible. Check out the recent Chris Harris ride video and take one in great condition out for a ride. I think your wife would enjoy the comfort and luxury and you will have much of the feel of an F12. Good luck.

20. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    If you loved the Scud, are ready for a convertible and like the F60 America barring price, the obvious choices are 16M, 550 Barchetta, 575 SA. Cali T, while a great car, seems like a move in the wrong direction from the 599.

21. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    We ditched the 911 after 9 months with the Cali 30 because it never was driven anymore. Ready for the Cali T to arrive soon. The back seats don't offer much room for people, so I agree that if room for four in comfort is more important than having a drop top, I would spend some time with the FF. I went back and forth between the two and landed on the Cali side because we really love the convertible.

22. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    More than enough room for Hound Dogs and Fruit Flys :)

23. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ...and when the roof is up, for bats... ;)

24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Drive an FF. It will make it look beautiful. And the rear seats are real rear seats.

25. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #25 Wheels1, Jan 1, 2015
    Hi Nick.
    Welcome to F-chat.
    I sat in the new T when it first arrived here, I had to have the seat right back, to be comfortable and I am around 6ft tall, that left around 3 inch's from the rear of my seat to the base of the one behind from memory. Best to try one out and see what you think.

I am confused by your comment about the 599 being tame, mine puts a smile on my face each time, and when I drive it hard [ a lot of the time] I find it quite a challenge to keep it straight under full throttle, not unless the roads are major ones, ie nice and smooth. I think you will find the T much less demanding.

I don't think there is a Ferrari solution to your problem by the sounds of it, the best option is, to use another car when all four of you want to go out, [as we do], and get what YOU want for the fun days.

If you like an F12 go for it, the used ones have not dropped in price hardly at all in the last year in the UK.

You could always get a small convertible to go with your 599. LOL