Screeching California brakes (2010) | FerrariChat

Screeching California brakes (2010)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by dacmaniac, Dec 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dacmaniac

dacmaniac Rookie

Dec 26, 2014
    Kuwait
    Just bought the Cali 2010 with previous owner replacing tires and break discs.
    However, every time I use the brakes, the car screeches like a public bus!!! Took it to the dealership and they said that its a common problem with the ceramic brakes and the local humid weather; so I have to get used to it.

Is this true?

Anyone having the same problem ?

Solutions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. newtoscud

newtoscud Rookie

Jun 17, 2014
    I had the exact same problem with my scud and I listened to the advice and it worked. You have to repeat it every few weeks but it does work. 50mph and brake to an almost standstill as hard as you can. Then 70 then 80 then 100mph. It's a pain in the ass but works. BRAKE VERY HARD

3. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Same issue here. Had them checked and everything is fine. Washing the rotors helps for awhile also. Someone has said doing the 100mph and brake almost to the point of of triggering the ABS will help also but I never drive that fast :)

4. dacmaniac

dacmaniac Rookie

Dec 26, 2014
    Kuwait
    Wow, thx guys. Didn't know u need to do that. But I guess I have to try! 😂

I got advice of spraying some kind of cleaning liquid. But dealership said cause it might react and damage discs!!

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Be very careful. Any compound with silicone will make cc brakes ineffective. Thus, the cure is worse than the disease.

Best

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Do NOT clean them! I have a number of post replies on brake noise since 2010. Ask your dealer to give you a copy of the break in procedure when you replace the pads. You will find Numerous stops from various speeds, with a cool down period, then finally a number of stops from upwards of 80 mph, HARD STOPS!!!!! and !! Get into the ABS!!!! You will not hurt them. After a ton of miles they may start squeaking again if you are driving it like your Prius. It is a Ferrari and once in a while you need to STAND HARD on the brakes (did I emphasize this enough yet?:)).

This works for my Cali and my FF although I drive hard enough that they very seldom squeak :D.

When pads are first replaced the car will barely stop. This procedure beds them in and works. I laugh at the owner's manual that says something like be gentle on the brakes at first. The factory has already beat the crap out of them in order to bed them in so being gentle is stupid.

Anyway, try it and let us know how quiet they become.

Jglaze21 likes this.
  7. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    Had the same problem on my 2010. I suffered with this for nearly 42,000 miles despite trying several of these suggested fixes. I finally solved it by trading it in for the new T. The brakes bite and don't squeak.

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Just curious - what are you calling break discs? There are PADS and ROTORS in the brake system. Are you saying the previous owner replaced the ROTORS and not the PADS as well?

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Brake discs are also called brake rotors.

Ferrari updated the brake pads in order to reduce the noise. However, the noise issue persisted.

With a brand new model there are always gremlins.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So the rotors were replaced but the pads were not?

11. dacmaniac

dacmaniac Rookie

Dec 26, 2014
    Kuwait
    Got it guys. Thx for the tips.
    For sure I won't spray stuff on them.

And happy new year

12. Skippy

Skippy Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    My 2014 is the same way. I've found that when I wash mine, I just hose off the rotors really well and spray out all the little vent holes in the rotors when I rinse the wheels. They stop squeaking completely for a few days. I did that on Monday and I noticed it squeaking again last night at stop lights. Cold, damp weather exacerbates the squeaking and it was 38F with dense fog last night when they started squeaking again. I think it's more of a residue build-up than anything else because they squeak loudly by the end of a track day with super hard, super aggressive braking all day. NEVER spray cold water on hot rotors though. You could cause cracking.

13. BeachDad

BeachDad Rookie

Jan 10, 2016
    So Dacmaniac: did this work for you? I have EXACTLY the same problem....just bought. 2011 with 13k miles and the squeaks are driving me NUTS!! I will try the high speed stops but that sounds a little hickey.... Does anyone know what CAUSES this issue? Can we fix it with new pads? Any other suggestions??? HELP PLEASE.......I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS CAR BUT THE NOISE IS KILLING ME!!! Thanks ������

14. 430maybe

430maybe Karting

Oct 12, 2012
    Northern England
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    I tried it - as directed by members of this forum and it cured it very briefly. But they do sueal like a piggy still. It's not all the time, but often enough to be irritating.
    Mind you, the kids loved the accellerating and standing on the brakes after their initial curiosity...

15. matthoops23

matthoops23 Rookie

Oct 14, 2015
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    My 2010 has squeaks too. Going to try the breaking break in on it and see if I get any relief.

16. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Mine too. Just living with it...

17. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    My 2010 squeaks too. When I wash the car, I spray them off real well (only on cold rotors). I lose the squeaks completely for 5-6 days, and it gradually returns until I wash the car again. Mine is a daily driver.