cali T annoying windshield wiper button | FerrariChat

cali T annoying windshield wiper button

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by agrun, Jan 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    for those who have taken delivery of their T, I'm sure you have experienced the annoying placement of the windshield wiper button? when turning the steering wheel, its easy to hit the underside of the button, causing the wipers and/or the washer fluid to activate, messing up the windshield and spraying wiper fluid all over. has anyone figured out a way around this?

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    It is like that on all the new Ferraris now and the first few days every time I backed up I would end up spraying windshield.. sort of a pia but you get used to it pretty quick.

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The F10 M5s have the same issue. At least the one I drove did. Don't the engineers try these out before putting them into production?

4. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Perhaps your hands are not in the appropriate spot. I have discovered that Ferrari likes your hands to that your fingers are near the horn recess. I have not had this issue. I find a couple of things other than this does not make much sense.

1. Remember the older cars which had the button for flashing the beams on the floor? Why is this not brought back instead of the little button on the wheel.
    2. Horn Placement should also be in the center of the wheel.

IMHO

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Try switching between an FF with the new wheel and my '12 Cali with the old wheel every few days. Another incentive to upgrade to a T :)

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I drive all my cars with hands at 9 and 3 o'clock (whether or not equipped with paddles). It might help to put them at 10 and 2 (esp. since as you note, that's closer to the horn buttons, and the paddles are longer on top than on the bottom, I guess suggesting that 10 and 2 is the right position) but I don't feel that's the correct position for me, and the engineers should assume at least some significant portion of drivers would use 9 and 3 instead of 10 and 2. FWIW, when Porsche finally went to paddles instead of those silly buttons on their PDK cars, they placed the paddles at 9 and 3, though mounted them on the steering wheel instead of the column (I don't necessarily want to start a debate column vs. wheel mounting, but I find that wheel mounting is better for me for street driving where you might want to shift with the wheel turned (as in turning a corner at relatively low city speeds), whilst column mounting has a bit of an advantage for track, where you (almost) never shift mid-corner, and want to always know where the paddles are.)

7. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    the rear portion of the wiper button is also very close to the channel selector behind the steering wheel. there are just too many things going on back there that you cannot see and easily hit. surely there is a better, less obtrusive spot for it.

8. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I dont like that it wont go on automatically if it starts to rain :)

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

That's on purpose. Not that many owners will put their cars through automatic car washes, but you don't want the wipers turning themselves on in there!

10. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It rains in South Florida?

11. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    an opposing view perhaps; we've had 3+ years of practice with the current steering wheel design, and I actually think its brilliant.

It took a while to adjust (practice?), and now it's easier and, at least for us, intuitive. When driving at night and/or in the rain, it's great to be able to hit the switches without moving your hands much at all. I had the epiphany a year back on a dark, rainy, twisty country road.

I've (accidentally) hit the turn signals and wipers on stalk-based cars, once we got the Ferrari wheel figured out, we've loved it. Very natural to hook my thumbs over the wheel - somewhere between 9-10 and 2-3....(the key is your thumb, for speed/leverage on the wheel)

Give it some time and practice, it will become easier...

BTW the automatic wiper control works well, it only triggers when it rains....

(FWIW - I predict we'll see more stalks move onto the steering wheel, BMW and Porsche are heading there slowly but steadily)

12. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    From the manual, page 160. See manual for images...

The windscreen wipers and washer work only with the ignition
    key in position II.

The windscreen wipers have 4 different speeds:
    OFF Windscreen wipers stationary.
    AUTO The rain sensor adjusts the windscreen wiper timing to the
    intensity of the rain.
    1 Slow continuous operation.
    2 Fast continuous operation.
    With the wipers stationary (OFF), quickly pressing lever A towards
    the dashboard activates the windscreen wipers in AUTO speed.
    With the wipers on, quickly pressing the lever towards the
    dashboard increases windscreen wiper speed (from AUTO to 1,
    from 1 to 2).

13. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    LOL

14. ar1040

ar1040 Rookie

Jul 8, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Andrew Reade
    probably easy but cannot get wipers to work, any suggestions
    also the two buttons behind the wiper button - one does the sound, what does the 2nd one do?

15. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Left side does sound, right side fwd/rev on track selection.

16. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I've had my T since last October, plus the FF, and with daily driving them both I don't think I've made a button mistake in many months. I'm even getting used to hitting the correct button with the wheel turned. Drive her every day and you will get used to it. Don't drive but once a month and that will leave plenty of miles for the next owner to get used to it :D.

17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    As you may know, the design of the current Ferrari road cars follows the adoption of the F1 wheel design. I think Schumacher was responsible for starting this. Also 10 and 2 is the correct hand position for the design of the Ferrari Steering wheel.

It takes a while to learn this new system. The older you are as a driver the longer and more frustrating it is to adjust to.

I had to force myself to figure out how to use all the controls and then practiced until things became natural.

Now I love it.

Ever take a look at the current F1 wheels. Tons more knobs, dials and buttons than our steering wheels!

18. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Huh? The windshield sprayer on my F10 M5 is the exact same as it has been on all my previous BMWs. Pull the stalk towards you and it sprays the windshield.

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Not spray. Too easy to activate the wiping function.

20. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I have never accidentally hit the windshield button. I actually really like the auto windshield wiper function on the California T. Works great.

21. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I'm sure that it is the same on a Prius too :D

22. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason

Yep, agree. Hands at about 10 to 2....at least according to my defensive driving instructor when I lived in Mexico. Becomes very natural when you've logged some miles. Thumbs also should not curl inside the wheel....kind of rest them on the front of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Here's a pic of an F10. If you put your hands at 10 and 2, how do you reach the short paddles at 9 and 3? If you put your hands at 9 and 3, see the windshield wiper stalk lurking back there? Your fingers fit in the rather tight space between the right paddle and stalk. Really easy to inadvertently hit it, though with some practice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If you don't spend very much seat time in your Ferrari, you will not adapt to the steering wheel controls.

25. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I agree. I think the steering wheel/driver's console ergonomics are better on my 997.2S than my Cali (those confounded button shifters on the Porsche notwithstanding), but that's partially a function of having 2+ years with the Porsche and 2+ weeks with the Ferrari. I keep my thumbs on the horn buttons, which keeps my hands closer to 3 and 9 position, making for easy paddle shifting...T