Dealer-Installed Option(s) | FerrariChat

Dealer-Installed Option(s)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by 134282, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #1 134282, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I didn't realize that some standard options are still installed by the dealer, and not already finished before the car leaves the factory. Why does this practice still exist? And why the wheels - why couldn't these wheels be installed at the factory, when the car was being built, instead of being fitted at the dealer? Because then it looks, as per the window sticker, as if the car is not unoriginal (however minor). Is this a common practice - with the wheels, and/or with the California? Or is it possible this was more of a unique last-minute decision? Lastly, the car in question is a California 30/30, and I was under the impression that the wheels depicted below were introduced (and exclusive) to the 30/30.

I seek enlightenment, ladies and gentlemen; please enlighten me. Thank you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    To the extent of my knowledge (and experience with more than a few new cars), Ferrari does not do "dealer installed options" as part of a new-car spec/purchase/delivery process.

Is the car you pictured here used? Could imagine the prior owner upgraded the wheels, OR if a dealer used/demo car they put a set of upgraded wheels on it (maybe they had them in parts). If this was a new car, perhaps it was a "stock" order (I've never actually seen a new Ferrari on the showroom with a window sticker).

We have seen (and done) some Ferrari accessories added pre-delivery (eg. the upgraded 458 wheels, you could not order on the car but only via parts), in one case a car shipped with the wrong wheels and dealer had to swap...but never saw the "extra equipment" sheet like that.

3. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Technically yes, but it was less than six months old when I saw it.

4. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I'd wager that the prior owner upgraded the wheels (and now the dealer wants to capture that in the price vs. MSRP) or the dealer added the wheels from stock to make the car more attractive to sell.

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Makes sense. While it's not visible in my photo, the wheels were $7,000. But then that brings me to another question... I was under the impression that the wheels in my photo were introduced with the 30/30, right? If the window sticker says standard 19" wheels, then the wheels in my picture must be an option that was exclusive(?) to the 30/30, yes?

6. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    That appears to be the case here. The last of the California 30s all included cruise control, electric seats, full option mirrors/homelink, reverse camera and 19" diamond finish wheels as standard equipment and the 20" forged sport wheels were no longer available to be ordered. It looks like the wheels were added once it arrived at the dealer and as Entropy says, the dealer wanted to point out the addtion to prospective buyers.

You don't typically see this in the Ferrari world because you don't see new cars sitting on the showroom but it's not uncommon to see a dealer added addendum listing any dealer add-ons. Window etching, scotchgard, blinker fluid, etc, etc. :)

7. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm pretty sure blinker fluid is only from the factory...

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Any idea how/why the 20" wheels were no longer available with later 30/30s? How does Ferrari run out of a type of wheel that, to my understanding, was introduced exclusively for that model?

9. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    I know when I received my Cali 30 in May 2014 (one of the last ones) I had to swap my wheels at the dealer because the cool rims did not come with it. However, I think it was more of an error on the order rather than a dealer installed option. The good news, they had a Cali 30 with the 30 rims and I swapped rims. The cali 30 rims are supposed be like 20lbs lighter than the standard 20 rims. Also, they look alot better too.

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I love the way they look! It blows my mind that there weren't enough to satisfy the model run. Can you share your serial number? The highest serial number I have for a 30/30 is one I've seen here in California, 203250, likely built in April or May of 2014; black with black leather, white stitching, Daytona seats, white prancing horses embroidered into the headrests, black seat belts, black leather center console with an aluminum central bridge, carbon fiber dash inserts, yellow tachometer, full black leather steering wheel, black carpets and mats, shields, light gray 10-spoke wheels, yellow calipers, front and rear parking sensors, rear parking camera, body-colored fender grilles, Ferrari of Newport Beach plate insert and plate frame. I saw it three times, in July and twice in August, all in the same place.

Now that I know that the 30/30 wheels were an option, and that there weren't enough for the model run, I'll be interested in seeing 30/30 window stickers to see if I can find the highest 30/30 that left the factory with the 30/30 wheels.

Still, it boggles the mind... Does anyone know why how and/or why Ferrari would run out of a model-specific wheel before the model run is complete?

11. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    I had mine pretty loaded in options too. My s/n was 201484. My dealer told me some of the late models some options were not available due to the factory no longer having those options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    haha, you caught that one. ;)

14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #14 SAFE4NOW, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    To answer your question, there were actually 3 different Cali 30 wheel options
    the standard 19" is what this car came from the factoryw with.

The client, the Dealer, whoever had a set of the nicer wheels available ( pictured ) , and since it did not come from the factory that way they had to add the additional sticker w. cost.

Standard practice, no... does it happen from time to time, yes.

We had several FF come in with the standard silver 5 spoke wheels... then Ferrari sent us sets of the upgraded Diamond 5 spoke wheels... because they were not available when the car was being built. Sent the correct set after the fact, at no cost.

S

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh, yeah, I remember - it arrived in Scottsdale when you were still in Italy.

I understand there was more than one wheel option for the 30/30, I'm just confounded at how the wheels that debuted with the 30/30 ran out before the model run was completed.

Interesting fact about the FF though, I didn't know that, thank you. The car in the pictures in my original post was fitted with the 30/30 wheels by the dealer at a cost of $7K - so I guess it was a customer preference in this case.

16. CoopLik

CoopLik Karting

Jan 10, 2014
    #16 CoopLik, Jan 9, 2015
  17. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    nice Coop, some more pics ?

18. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    My brand new Cali T had a similar window sticker... It shows the 19" wheels as standard and then the 20" diamond rims as an $8100 option. That doesn't lead me to believe my car arrived with 19s and then they swapped them out for 20s, though.

19. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Keith, the factory window stickers always show the standard wheel size on the far left column under "Standard Equipment Included in Suggested Retail Price" and any options will of course be listed under the "Options" column. I'm sure you knew that, just pointing that out for the clarification of anyone else that might be reading.

IIRC, the 20" forged diamond wheels were discontinued after the May 2014 allocations. Up to that point there were four different wheel options available for the California 30...the standard 19" wheel, 19" diamond finish standard wheel, 20" diamond finish sport wheel and the aforementioned 20" forged diamond finish wheels.

20. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Is that $8100 US? Wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Derek, you seem refreshingly knowledgeable; and you know what that means - lots of annoying PMs from yours truly! :D

If you have time, can you post pictures of the four different wheel styles that were available for the various California models? An overwhelming majority of Californias that I see are wearing gray or light gray 10-spoke wheels. Then there's the five-spoke style with the triangular indents at the ends of each spoke. There's also the star wheel (often referred to as a pentagram style). And here, in this thread, we have the five-spoke 30/30 wheel with the dark gray indents in the spokes. Were there any other wheels available for any of the Californias?

If someone wanted to, could they order a(ny of the) California(s) with, say, the five-spoke forged wheels that seemingly equip every 458 ever ordered?

22. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Indeed. A steal considering the upgraded floor mats were $1400. :p

23. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    #23 Derek at FoD, Jan 12, 2015
    I actually forgot that the 19" standard wheel was available in a Diamond finish so that makes five different wheel options that were available! :)
    19" Standard wheel (top left)
    19" Diamond Finish Standard wheel (top right)
    19" Forged Diamond Finish wheel (middle left)
    20" Diamond Finish Sport wheel (middle right)
    20" Forged Diamond Finish wheel (bottom)

24. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    And to answer the latter part of your question, due to homologation rules you cannot order a California with 458 wheels. You can purchase them seperately and have them installed but they can't be opitoned that way new from the factory.

25. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    For a very reasonable price I'm sure... :p