California - manual versions? | FerrariChat

California - manual versions?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Wolfgang5150, Jan 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I read somewhere that three manual versions were made is this true? that would be killer

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Maybe you read the other threads in this section discussing how few manuals

3. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Yes - I guess I didn't realize there were any manuals that were made for the California.
    I didn't search any further - but that's intriguing...
    Need to find one in Grigio silverstone

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #4 134282, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi, Kevin!

Indeed, Ferrari made just a handful of manual Californias. I hope, one day, that I might be able to see one (let alone drive one!).

I've heard rumors of up to six or seven manual Californias built in total, but I can only account for three; that is to say, I only have three documented serial numbers. Below is a picture - not mine - of a RHD California with a stick. To wit, it's the only RHD California with three pedals.

Again, I stipulate, this is only from what I know, what I've heard, what I've seen - I can't speak to that which I haven't seen.

But they do exist! Unfortunately, none were made for North America. I do hope though, that one day, someone here will import one and we'll have one here in the states. That'd be awesome.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
  6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Lol; true, true!

7. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    So, it looks like there are three confirmed:
    RHD black/black
    black/tan
    red/black

I want the red/black one!

These cars are somewhere...... they need to be on this side of the pond!

8. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Nope...

9. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    Ferrari, are you listening?? Clearly very few Cali buyers originally ordered the manual over the "new, superior" twin clutch transmissions. But as time has passed, the novelty to at least some has worn off. I suspect that there IS a market for a Cali manual, particularly, as older Ferraris with manuals have become more and more scarce. It may only amount to some 5-10% of the Cali's sold in the future, but offer a manual, even a special edition at the end of a model manufacturing run, charge a premium over the more costly F1 transmission... Some people (yes, a minority) will want the added engagement of a gated manual in a GT car.

10. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    They will be the only collectible California's...that being said, Ferrari itself makes no money on future collectibles, so they really don't care.

Erik

11. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    IF one ever came for sale, I wonder what the asking price would be?

12. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Anybody succesfully done a swap or looked into it? This car does seem to be depreciating pretty quickly like all the 4 seaters do. If it could be swapped for less than a kings ransom when the car gets to 50k and below in value, it would definitely be worth looking in to. I don't like the fact that it's a 4 seater, but I do think it is a very beautiful car. I love the front end of it.

13. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Completely disagree. Ferrari makes a TON of money on future collectibles. It is for this reason that people spend so much on the LE models, particularly with options. No way Ferrari could charge $500k plus for a tdf for example, if it wasn't for how well the 599GTO is selling on the used market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tough to do a swap on a California. Unlike the earlier dry plate clutch F1 systems that use the same transaxle and clutch for manual and F1, the California manuals had completely different 6 speed transaxles. Finding nearly non-existent parts would be a royal pain, likely with no cooperation from corporate Ferrari.

15. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Yeah that will be a given LOL

16. andy355

andy355 Karting

Jul 18, 2004
    UK
    I'm a little late to this thread (!) but one of the rhd is Argento Nurburgring in rhd sold new by HR Owen London. Car had lots of carbon including front spoiler splitter. Was in their showroom and may be the car pictured above. Was available with substantial discount if I recall correctly

17. carl246

carl246 Rookie

Feb 2, 2004
    Anyone know what gearbox Ferrari used?

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I believe it was a Graziano unit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    And to my knowledge graziano will not sell a complete gearbox.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Maybe ask Eurospares what they can offer.

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    They can't offer anything unless a 6 speed gets wrecked and they choose not to repair it. Which... It will pretty much always be worth repairing and if it isn't... The gear box will either be cracked or burned and weakened

22. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Apparently it is easy to switch the transmission to a stick. I saw them do it on an SLS which has the same gearbox. It was actually on one of the TV shows on motor trend. For the life of me I can't remember which show it was. But the computer on the transmission was fried and they removed those parts and put in a linkage instead.

23. Owen Edwards

Owen Edwards Karting

Apr 5, 2020
    USA
    What are the chassis numbers?