Benefits of Apple Carplay | FerrariChat

Benefits of Apple Carplay

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Lime1, Jan 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    Just sorting out the spec for my car and trying to decide whether to add Apple Carplay. What benefits does it have over the basic system? I have an apple iphone and it's likely my next phone will also be Apple. From a resale viewpoint it's only desirable if the buyer uses Apple and how will the system stack up in 3-4 years time when tech has moved on? To be honest though apart from making phone calls it's likely I'd only use it for music in the car. I would have thought that the standard phone interface should be okay and I assume I can stream music either via bluetooth or usb connection with the base system. So I'm trying to figure out what the Apple Carplay can do to enhance my driving experience that I'd think was worth the upgrade price. Satnav? Surely just base system is okay. Maybe there are some benefits and I'd like to know from those of you that have it what they are. For those of you who have iphones and didn't opt for it what were your reasons? Thanks.

2. timothymunro

timothymunro Karting

Jun 20, 2013
    I find the base system just fine. Bluetooth streaming of music works easily, and Nav is OK. I've paired both a Nokia Lumia 930 and an iPhone 6Plus with it and they both seem to work equally well.

The upgrade stereo is very nice. When my little girl is in the back seat she loves grooving to funky music, so the stereo puts out some nice bottom end without rattling the furniture inside the houses you drive by!

3. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I have it, am an Apple guy, and love it. Main benefit to me is that in 3+ years when the built-in system is outdated the CarPlay won't be because it updates with iOS/the phone. I also like how I can use Siri to send/read text messages.

4. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i don't think carplay is worth the cost.
    then again, my wife thinks i am a miser!

5. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #5 Udaverea, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    It's only the cost of 5 LTE iPads... And you don't have to charge it...

I'm looking forward to getting mine soon. I'll post about it.

I'm also an Apple guy. Major Apple guy.

(BTW, with more BLACK Apple devices than WHITE Apple devices..., Marmist)

6. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It's not perfect but I'm sure it'll get better. It doesn't interfsce with SXM but you just hit radio to go back to radio (AM, FM, SXM).

7. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Keith, how is the Siri button and interaction?

8. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    How does the Siri voice activation work in the cali T? Can you dictate a text message to it reliably top up and down? Does Siri understand other commands reliably or do you use the screen interface more?

9. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    You either hit the voice command button on the main interface, or you hit the button on the back of the steering wheel. Then Siri asks how she can help. The dialogue usually goes like this:

- Me - Send a text message to *contact name or telephone number* saying "blah blah blah"
    - Siri - "Okay, I'll send a text message to X saying Y. Shall I send it?"
    - My options then are send, change, or cancel.
    - Me - Yes, send it.
    - Siri - Sent.

Pretty easy. :) Same for directions, etc. :)

10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I really like it. For short trips I just rely on Bluetooth but if I'm gonna be in the car for a while, I plug it in!

11. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    Thanks Keith. Sounds good. I just wondered if the engine noise affected how well Siri interpreted your voice commands. It seems like it's not too much of an issue

12. JWeilan

JWeilan Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    For $4,000 I'll pass...especially when domestic builders will have it in their cars soon as a $100 add on.

13. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Nope not an issue

14. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    By that token you'll pass on all Ferrari options :)

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If I spent mucho time in my car and was working the Siri/text would be great. Since I am not working nor have Siri/text in my car...I just call and talk to the person or leave a voicemail. Works for me. Doubt if I would pay extra.

Then again driving my Fcar gets me away from all this. I am retired. No deals. No pressure.

And of course cell service in the mountains is very spotty unless on the interstate (which I avoid like the plague). ;)

16. JWeilan

JWeilan Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Touche' ;)

17. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I really like CarPlay, am very happy I took the option. Nice interaction, great when texts come in for hearing them read aloud and for responding verbally. I had offered my neighbor a ride and he texted me he was running late. I texted back that I was out driving, so to take his time. When I pulled up in front of his house he said "Were you texting while driving?". I said "Yes...but in a good way...".

It also seems to serve to keep me somewhat grounded, at least until I get my new routine, anyway. I drive to my office each day, and every time so far I park the car, and when I get to the elevator lobby, I reach in my empty pocket for my iPhone, and then trek back to the parking lot, shaking my head... ;)

However I DO get to see the car again, always good...

I'm looking forward to iOS 8.3 and wireless CarPlay. :)

18. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    HAHA, me too Dave! I have never forgotten my phone in a car as often as I have in the Cali T.